TV Teddy at it again....

Just now, BGleas said:

You know what else isn’t rocket science?

Player: Hey ref, how was that an illegal screen?

Ref: Your feet were too wide. Point of emphasis this year is your feet can’t be wider than shoulder width. 

Player: Got it, thanks  

Ok.. I wouldn't handle it that way and don't feel like refs should either. Doesn't make them bad officials. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok.. I wouldn't handle it that way and don't feel like refs should either. Doesn't make them bad officials. 

I realize it’s not a refs job to make players like them, but refs that won’t communicate are refs that players can’t stand having ref their games. 

I am on the side that a good ref explains a legit question from a player.  As I have said previously, I have seen it happen numerous times before, this season.  What has not been explained is what or how the player in this equation went about talking to tv tommy (lower T's on purpose).  Was the player being disrespectful and not worthy of an explanation? Not a Valentine fan.  But in this instance, perhaps he did the right thing in walking away from a disrespectful player.   Oh.... Oh... I remember when he did that when attacked at mid court against a disrespectful IU head coach.... Bobby Knight chased Ted around the court one time..and Ted just kept walking away, until he heard too much.

There are still articles on the internet about that.  Too late for me to look up an link.  But it did happen.  Again, not a Valentine fan... but perhaps... just maybe he was once again attempting to avoid a confrontation like what happened with Knight.... a long time ago ?

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am on the side that a good ref explains a legit question from a player.  As I have said previously, I have seen it happen numerous times before, this season.  What has not been explained is what or how the player in this equation went about talking to tv tommy (lower T's on purpose).  Was the player being disrespectful and not worthy of an explanation? Not a Valentine fan.  But in this instance, perhaps he did the right thing in walking away from a disrespectful player.   Oh.... Oh... I remember when he did that when attacked at mid court against a disrespectful IU head coach.... Bobby Knight chased Ted around the court one time..and Ted just kept walking away, until he heard too much.

There are still articles on the internet about that.  Too late for me to look up an link.  But it did happen.  Again, not a Valentine fan... but perhaps... just maybe he was once again attempting to avoid a confrontation like what happened with Knight.... a long time ago ?

Absolutely agree. If a player has been jawing at the ref in a disrespectful way all game, and giving the ref crap, then no the ref shouldmt cater to the player or go out of his way to explain anything. It’s a two-way street. 

I just know as a player, one of my favorite parts of the game was talking with the refs throughout the game. Trying to convince them I didn’t commit the foul (in fun ways, respectful ways), asking them what I did (respectfully), and asking them to look for stuff that I thought the opponent was doing. If you have fun with the refs and communicate then they’ll listen when you ask the, to look for stuff or ask them to explain things. The good refs and the smart players have fun with it  

Honestly, it was fun and in college I built some good relationships with the refs in our conference over my 4years. It was fun. You’d look forward to certain guys reffing our games. 

When I was officiating I always considered it a privilege to be allowed to participate in the games. I enjoyed interacting with both coaches and players. As long as they were respectful to me I was always willing to talk and listen to them.
A few years ago I was officiating a game which featured an all state guard. I called traveling on the player and during a dead ball situation he came over to me and asked me about the call. He told me that was the first time in his career he had been called for traveling. We talked a little bit about it and I told him that he should put on a calendar that on this day and time that Jeff Guy called him for traveling. I then said I can guarantee you one more thing and that is I will call you for traveling again  before the night is out. Later during the game when I called him for traveling we looked at each with smiles on our faces.

10 hours ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't explain anything if it weren't a TO or halftime or something along those lines. 

Then why does a player have to respect an official. There is no rule thay says a player must chase down a loose ball and kindly hand it to the official  but most do. Out of respect its a mutual respect.  As a coach i have had officials that would not answer questions ir clarify for me so when a ball came my way and the ref that would not answer me asked for thr ball. I sat the ball down on the floor right where i was standing and walked away.  Childish yes but if no mutual respect then so be it 

On 1/4/2018 at 9:00 PM, btownqb said:

I just disagree. 

He doesn't owe him an explanation, but he does owe him respect as a human being. He could've easily said I'm not going to talk about it, but he chose to very disrespect the player. If a player did that to him we all know what would happen. 

On 1/4/2018 at 11:22 PM, btownqb said:

So if you were a ref, you wouldn't try and help players understand how the game is called? Can you explain how not helping players understand what you're calling helps improve the game? 

If you got pulled over driving a car and the cop just said, "you violated city code 5.02.1" and wrote you a ticket without explain what you did that's a violation would you consider that good police work?

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I've been patiently considering Teddy's retirement for 15 years.   I absolutely cannot stand that guy.  Glad theB1G removed him from some games.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:37 PM, milehiiu said:

I hate to defend Coach Knight, but TV Ted was completely wrong in the situation you described.  He initiated and escalated the entire series of events.  If I'm not mistaken the Big 10 suspended him from league games for a year or more over that event.  Suffice it to say Coach Knight wasn't the only horse's ass on the floor that day.

41 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I hate to defend Coach Knight, but TV Ted was completely wrong in the situation you described.  He initiated and escalated the entire series of events.  If I'm not mistaken the Big 10 suspended him from league games for a year or more over that event.  Suffice it to say Coach Knight wasn't the only horse's ass on the floor that day.

Agree.  I really wasn't attempting to defend either one.  Just trying to refresh some memories, or inform others.  Not only was Valentine suspended from doing B1G games, Knight was fined $10,000.

Coach Bob Knight Pays $10,000 Fine

He reminds me of an NPD mother-in-law.  Its all about him all of the time.  Even in this case where he blatantly disrespects a player and the game that his given him his livelihood, he makes it about him.  Is he really trying to garner some sympathy and "please dont go" remarks on his way out?

/end rant.

Archived