21-22 Roster, Rotations and Minutes

After a wild 4 weeks, Indiana's roster is ostensibly set with 13 scholarship players.

With the most depth IU has had in a long time, the next challenge is to begin to make sense of minutes and rotations. We took a deep dive into just that.

• Thanks 5

I think CMW will be more open to kids earning playing time and starts. By all accounts he is being very open (a.k.a. "real") about what he is looking for and his expectations, so it's really on the kids to put in the work and prove they deserve the time they get. That has to be good for IU overall.

Note: I read the wrap on Kristian Lander and the thing that struck me most was his dad's comments. It has to be the most logical and mature approach of any parent I've heard in a long time. Wish more parents could see big picture like he does.

6 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

I think CMW will be more open to kids earning playing time and starts. By all accounts he is being very open (a.k.a. "real") about what he is looking for and his expectations, so it's really on the kids to put in the work and prove they deserve the time they get. That has to be good for IU overall.

Note: I read the wrap on Kristian Lander and the thing that struck me most was his dad's comments. It has to be the most logical and mature approach of any parent I've heard in a long time. Wish more parents could see big picture like he does.

i missed it.  rather than look it up, can you tell me what he said?

48 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
After a wild 4 weeks, Indiana's roster is ostensibly set with 13 scholarship players.

With the most depth IU has had in a long time, the next challenge is to begin to make sense of minutes and rotations. We took a deep dive into just that.

Great article TDH.

The thing I keep forgetting to consider is that Race, with a shot, can stretch the floor and at the same time give us that physicality and rebounding needed. I keep hearing how good of a shooter he was in high school, but his free throws look bad at times. It will be very interesting to see if he can develop his shot this summer.

I'm going to preface my next question by handling all objections up front: I know starting line-ups change, I know CMW will ultimately decide, and I know it will depend on development in the off season. BUT this is a message board and we thrive on hypotheticals and projections based on hypotheticals....SO know buzz killers allowed...it's all fun!

@The Daily Hoosier , who is your starting line up for the first game against a top 100 opponent? 👣  🔥. 😎

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Troublemaker!  ;) 

i forgot the obligatory: "starting line-ups don't matter; it's who finishes the game" comment. I think that if you ask any player starting line-ups do matter; it's a reward for their performance......I'm sure that deep down, all the players want to be one of the last 5 introduced under the spot light. Sure players accept coming off the bench, but they don't want to. A starting spot is a reward no matter how much the perception of its importance is minimized . 

So stop criticizing my wanting to fixate on this! *kicks dirt* 😭

...sorry, working out some personal issues this morning. haha. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Great article TDH.

The thing I keep forgetting to consider is that Race, with a shot, can stretch the floor and at the same time give us that physicality and rebounding needed. I keep hearing how good of a shooter he was in high school, but his free throws look bad at times. It will be very interesting to see if he can develop his shot this summer.

I'm going to preface my next question by handling all objections up front: I know starting line-ups change, I know CMW will ultimately decide, and I know it will depend on development in the off season. BUT this is a message board and we thrive on hypotheticals and projections based on hypotheticals....SO know buzz killers allowed...it's all fun!

@The Daily Hoosier , who is your starting line up for the first game against a top 100 opponent? 👣  🔥. 😎

A pure guess that I will likely change several times between now and November -- XJ, PS, TB, RT, TJD.

• Like 3

Really don't know where to put this... but we were 13th in 3pt FGs attempted and made this season in the conference. BUT.. we were 9th in %. 

RP, AF, and AD combined to make 4 3s, on average per game. (obviously AFs injuries hampered us when he was out). XJ, PS, and MK for their career avg 5 3s made per game. Throw in Bates... we could be looking at 2.5 more made 3s per game. That and hitting 1 more FT a game (makes our percentage 72% as a team)... That's 8.5-9 extra points a game. 

Those extra points would have resulted in 6 more wins this season... puts us at 18-9. 

I just like that we have addressed our lack of scoring with guys that are career 14, 14, and 10 a game averages. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 10:00 AM, 5fouls said:

People better not sleep on Geronimo.  By midseason, he's going to be turning some heads.

I think this is going to hold very true...especially hearing of the Hunter news. Kid might break out. 

Just a question to others but did anyone here think he might have put on too much weight to try to bang down low?? It looked like he lost some of his explosiveness and lateral quickness a bit and he could stand to get a bit leaner and run more of a traditional 3 and D type?

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 9:00 AM, 5fouls said:

People better not sleep on Geronimo.  By midseason, he's going to be turning some heads.

That’s partially why the Hunter departure made sense.  I didn’t want Jordan’s minutes sucked up by Jerome.   Jordan is a tough, competitive kid with the full arsenal.  He just lacked fine tuning.   With good coaching hopefully he gets substantial minutes and takes a step forward.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

So back to this topic with Hunter out and Durr in.  My guess right now would be Johnson, Bates, Stewart, Kopp, TJD I guess?  Hard for me to see Race happy not starting though.  Definitely would think that if he thought he wouldn't start, he would have stayed in the portal?  Anyway, gotta think he'll get a lot of time.  Would think Durr would only play when TJD is out and that TJD won't be out much.  That said, I'm a big fan of having him in any time TJD is out.  Would think Lander and Geronimo get good minutes.  RP will be interesting to see.  Are the rumors still abound that we will have 1 more leaving?

• Like 1

I really like the balance of the roster now.  I am not going to predict who starts since we have not seen any of these guys in CMW offence or defensive sets.  Just because they were good or not in CAMs system may not translate the same now in the flow of a game under CMW.  For me it doesn't matter, if the team plays to win and the guys who practice well, will get the playing time.  What I don't want to see is lazy play now.  There is no reason not to put someone on the bench and put in the guy willing to work hard.  Also, don't want to see the staff pulling guys that have momentum on the floor.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

So back to this topic with Hunter out and Durr in.  My guess right now would be Johnson, Bates, Stewart, Kopp, TJD I guess?  Hard for me to see Race happy not starting though.  Definitely would think that if he thought he wouldn't start, he would have stayed in the portal?  Anyway, gotta think he'll get a lot of time.  Would think Durr would only play when TJD is out and that TJD won't be out much.  That said, I'm a big fan of having him in any time TJD is out.  Would think Lander and Geronimo get good minutes.  RP will be interesting to see.  Are the rumors still abound that we will have 1 more leaving?

Gotta think Race starts. I think the freshman is going to have to be the one to earn his minutes early on. Feel like it will be Johnson, Stewart, Kopp, Race, Trayce. I'm sure Bates/Rob/Lander will all see minutes at the 1&2. Someone will get the short end of the stick I'm sure but gotta feel like 12-16 minutes a game for those guys and 20-25 for the starters depending on how the game flows. Probably Geronimo, Galloway, Leal, and sometimes Stewart will back up Kopp/Race. Now with Durr getting 7-10 mins behind Trayce. Someone will lose minutes for sure. It will all settle itself out on the court...and maybe we have a redshirt or two to help eleviate the log jam but there is a lot of experience on this roster and the young guys will have to earn their time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bates and one of Galloway/Leal really push Stewart for a starting position by late in the season and same for Geronimo with Kopp. I don't think we will see starting lineups locked in stone like under Archie.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Gotta think Race starts. I think the freshman is going to have to be the one to earn his minutes early on. Feel like it will be Johnson, Stewart, Kopp, Race, Trayce. I'm sure Bates/Rob/Lander will all see minutes at the 1&2. Someone will get the short end of the stick I'm sure but gotta feel like 12-16 minutes a game for those guys and 20-25 for the starters depending on how the game flows. Probably Geronimo, Galloway, Leal, and sometimes Stewart will back up Kopp/Race. Now with Durr getting 7-10 mins behind Trayce. Someone will lose minutes for sure. It will all settle itself out on the court...and maybe we have a redshirt or two to help eleviate the log jam but there is a lot of experience on this roster and the young guys will have to earn their time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bates and one of Galloway/Leal really push Stewart for a starting position by late in the season and same for Geronimo with Kopp. I don't think we will see starting lineups locked in stone like under Archie.

I would think Kopp and Thompson both expect to start, but I'm curious if that is the type of lineup Woodson would run?  TJD a non-shooter, Thompson maybe can get to shooting better, Kopp kind of a 3/4?  Also, many 5 star freshmen do not start off having to earn their time.  Will be interesting.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I would think Kopp and Thompson both expect to start, but I'm curious if that is the type of lineup Woodson would run?  TJD a non-shooter, Thompson maybe can get to shooting better, Kopp kind of a 3/4?  Also, many 5 star freshmen do not start off having to earn their time.  Will be interesting.   

If you find me a kid that beats out Race Thompson for a starting position I would like to shake his hand. I just don't see Race getting out worked for a spot. He has gotten better each and every year and I would be shocked if he doesn't show a lot of growth on his jumper this summer. As far as Bates...kid has a lot of work to start ahead of all these older guys. I do think he is special. I think it comes down to Stewart....we all still don't exactly know what he will bring....but I expect Stewart to start and slide over to the other wing quite a bit to make room for Bates and we will see Rob/Lander battle out minutes behind/with Johnson. Who knows...could have this all wrong.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

If you find me a kid that beats out Race Thompson for a starting position I would like to shake his hand. I just don't see Race getting out worked for a spot. He has gotten better each and every year and I would be shocked if he doesn't show a lot of growth on his jumper this summer. As far as Bates...kid has a lot of work to start ahead of all these older guys. I do think he is special. I think it comes down to Stewart....we all still don't exactly know what he will bring....but I expect Stewart to start and slide over to the other wing quite a bit to make room for Bates and we will see Rob/Lander battle out minutes behind/with Johnson. Who knows...could have this all wrong.

absolutely.  just our speculation and opinions right now, but that's what this board is for right?  i agree about Race, but for some reason it seems like a tough combo with him, Kopp, and TJD at the same time.  maybe not?  most on this board shot me down quick when i dared question if Stewart was a sure fire starter.  that may have more to do with a certain few posters who just seem to jump on anything i say though.  honestly, Stewart and Bates are both question marks in my mind.  Johnson and Kopp have pretty much shown what we can expect in a major conference.  i go back to saying Johnson and TJD are locks.  i'd be very surprised if Stewart didn't start.  honestly i don't know how i'd rank the odds of Thompson, Kopp, and Bates and who would be odd man out.  exciting to think about though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

absolutely.  just our speculation and opinions right now, but that's what this board is for right?  i agree about Race, but for some reason it seems like a tough combo with him, Kopp, and TJD at the same time.  maybe not?  most on this board shot me down quick when i dared question if Stewart was a sure fire starter.  that may have more to do with a certain few posters who just seem to jump on anything i say though.  honestly, Stewart and Bates are both question marks in my mind.  Johnson and Kopp have pretty much shown what we can expect in a major conference.  i go back to saying Johnson and TJD are locks.  i'd be very surprised if Stewart didn't start.  honestly i don't know how i'd rank the odds of Thompson, Kopp, and Bates and who would be odd man out.  exciting to think about though!

It’s just me but Bates doesn’t project to a OAD 5* like Romeo. To me he is more likely a two year kid if he puts the work in. It’s a big jump from HS to power 6 basketball...not just that but physical B1G basketball. If I had a feeling I would put him in a position to grow confidence and room to grow into a role. Being that 6th man kinda instant offense role off the bench (spark plug) would seem to be a great chance to have freedom and to match up against other teams backups as well. I’m less worried who starts..we all know it’s who finishes. Would not be shocked to see him finishing games with Johnson and Stewart and Kopp next to Trayce at all. I just think we always do this with freshman and predict they will start and typically except with the very elite it just doesn’t happen. I see so many come in and struggle with the speed and physicality especially at first so I just expect him to come on a little slower but by the end of the year for him to make big plays for us. Yep it’s fun to speculate for now.