General cooking thread.

I'll ask this here. So starting in January once a month we'll be cooking for 80 guys at a Church here in Indy. I started googling crowd recipes on the cheap if you will. Anyone have a go to option for a group of 80 or large groups in general? It's a coordinated program to show the guys good/filling foods....while they use their food stamp cards wisely,etc....

First round I was going to do was Sloppy Joes, Mac n Cheese, Fried Potatoes/Onions...maybe Garlic Bread/Breadsticks. All very filling but easy on the pocket book too. I also thought of doing a big pasta bar....so they could actually choose the sauces/cheeses,etc...they want to add. Pasta rice beans,etc...all cheap but filling.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll ask this here. So starting in January once a month we'll be cooking for 80 guys at a Church here in Indy. I started googling crowd recipes on the cheap if you will. Anyone have a go to option for a group of 80 or large groups in general? It's a coordinated program to show the guys good/filling foods....while they use their food stamp cards wisely,etc....

First round I was going to do was Sloppy Joes, Mac n Cheese, Fried Potatoes/Onions...maybe Garlic Bread/Breadsticks. All very filling but easy on the pocket book too. I also thought of doing a big pasta bar....so they could actually choose the sauces/cheeses,etc...they want to add. Pasta rice beans,etc...all cheap but filling.

Make sure you get the kitchen approved by the health inspector! I know of situations where Church dinners got shut down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Those sound like good options. Most I ever cooked for was probably 30-40 and we made jambalaya.

When I think good/filling and easy on the pocket book I think of rice,beans,and potatoes.  Inexpensive good foundational foods that can be used multiple ways. Also foods that provide leftovers. 

Chili is always a good option for a group.  Red beans and rice.  Stuffed peppers. Potato soup. Vegetable soup over rice.

Really any soup or stew. Those were born out of cheap and hearty. 

Tuna noodle casserole, chicken and rice, beef stroganoff are a few that would highlight Campbell's cream of mushroom/chicken condensed soup bases. 

Baked potatoes can take on a large variety of toppings. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

ham & beans with cornbread.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Does anybody else like Chilean Sea Bass?

Did some last night... Pan seared (with olive oil and butter) for 5 minutes each side (it did have the skin on) and then 15 minutes in the oven at 420...

Melts in your mouth... Paired it with mushroom risotto and Caesar Salad... 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone have a standard go to mix or rub for dry pork butt? Kroger is giving them away this week.  Picked up a 5lb for under $5. Wanting to do in crockpot for football tomorrow. 

If you're talking about a pre-mixed rub you can get on the store shelf, I'm a fan of Famous Daves. 

image.png.f2a6ca7b94951ebfcbcbcd8bbcf8fe5a.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone have a standard go to mix or rub for dry pork butt? Kroger is giving them away this week.  Picked up a 5lb for under $5. Wanting to do in crockpot for football tomorrow. 

1/4c Paprika

1/8c  Black pepper

1-2tbs garlic Powder

1-2tbs Onion Powder

1tbs Cayenne

1/4c Sea Salt

1/4c brown sugar

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for sending this. I've never had the best of luck with rubs so I end just buying at store or farmers market here in town. 

I like to bake in oven or outdoor grill at about 375. Covered to retain moisture. Until about 165 internal. If I have time I also pause for basting a time or two. I use this same rub but add honey as a binder when cooking ribs.

• Like 1

So now that Monday Night Football is over we volunteer and cook for roughly 90 people each Monday. It's a program that helps people on Indy's East Side. We are also trying to show them how you can make a filling meal (won't win any Beard awards) on the cheap especially during these high priced times. 

Last week we did Sloppy Joe's, Oven Roasted Potatoes, Mac N Cheese, Texas Toast, and slice of Kroger Pie for roughly 2.25 per person. 

My question for the board is do you have any go to recipes that are filling, semi on the cheap but also different. The folks we serve are combination of homeless, Wheeler Mission, some corrections program guys,etc...it doesn't have to be flashy.

Pasta, Rice, Beans, Potato, etc....I know are all staples of the food for a crowd on a budget. Just curious if anyone has a go to recipe or recipes they do for either church functions, family reunions,etc....any help would be appreciated.

Something I prep for work lunches when I'm short on time or motivation. 

2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (could substitute pork)

1 - 14.5 oz can of pineapple tidbits

1 - jar of favorite salsa

I cook it in crock pot but imagine it can be multiplied easily and cooked in the oven. 

Serve over rice, with potatoes, make tacos ect.  Cheap and versatile and tastes good. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So we do these meals a couple of Mondays each month for some folks who need a little help. We've been trying to teach them how to cook/eat/shop on a budget. Anyway the meal count is for 90. We are doing a Mexican theme for the next one and I ran across Iberia Spanish Rice on Amazon. For under $8 each it serves 34 people. Has anyone ever tried this brand?

I was going to go to Gordon Food Services for bulk items but when I started looking at their prices their stuff is actually more expensive than Walmart/Kroger,etc..

• 2 weeks later...

Admittedly we've cooked wings every possible way besides in the crock pot. Need to save some time on Sunday and basically need to do a set it and forget it before SB. I'm looking at a recipe that basically says throw them in cover with preferred wing sauce and on low for 3 hours? Broil for 5-10 minutes to get crispy.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or just this simple?