Minnesota post game thread

Nice win and even when I figured they would fold, they stepped up and would not be denied.

Love the toughness and hopefully this will carry us to the next game and beyond!

It was also good to see a couple missed baskets and bone head plays by the opposing team at the end to help us as well!!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just caught up on dvr. Nice timing for RJ to show up with a big game. He limited his turnovers (granted 3 is a good # for him!) and more importantly put up impressive assist numbers finally and hit a 3/7 from three point range. And he could have cracked the 30 mark if not for a slew of missed lay ups! Still so impressed with Morgan and his all around development on both ends this year....20/12/4 blocks. It was good to see him bounce back from the Wisky game where the refs decided he needed to rest for a game. 

And whoever pointed out McRoberts impact on the game tonight was spot on.....7 rbs/3 assists/4 steals. Amazing how a guy with 0 points can impact the game in every other way and help a team win. 

The one point I got really nervous during the game was when Archie sat RJ and Morgan at the same time in the second half, and Green wasn't on the court either. There was just no offensive options with that line up. I was really disappointed that Newkirk didn't take over at that point since he was only guy on the court who could create his own shot or draw the defense to set up somebody else. The offense was a complete mess during those minutes in the second half, and it cost us momentum at the time. It may have been the first time this year I really scratched my head at what Archie was thinking with that group of guys on the floor together.  

It was great to see RJ/Morgan come back in and regain the edge we had on them after that awful line up and not let up in the crucial minutes. I'm still surprised in general that we out battled them all game on their home court with our two missing guys vs. their two missing guys. Nice work tonight by Archie and the boys! 

31 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

The one point I got really nervous during the game was when Archie sat RJ and Morgan at the same time in the second half, and Green wasn't on the court either. There was just no offensive options with that line up

I laughed about that line up.  If Crean had done that, heads would have exploded.  I have no idea what is  wrong with Newkirk, clearly we are a better team with him on the bench right now.  He's got to get that straightened out.  I love what I saw from Smith, and for the most part, I  though Al played with energy, and even made a hell of a hustle play at one point.  I'll take a freshman's mistakes with the benefit of experience, over a seniors mistakes with no added benefit.

2 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I laughed about that line up.  If Crean had done that, heads would have exploded.  I have no idea what is  wrong with Newkirk, clearly we are a better team with him on the bench right now.  He's got to get that straightened out.  I love what I saw from Smith, and for the most part, I  though Al played with energy, and even made a hell of a hustle play at one point.  I'll take a freshman's mistakes with the benefit of experience, over a seniors mistakes with no added benefit.

I actually had a Crean flashback when I saw the line up! Many heads exploded over the years when he put an unexplainable line up in during the second half a tight game.

In reality, Archie has his hands tied with how this team is performing plus the Davis/Hartman injuries. Green should be the off the bench guy who provide the offense when others rest, but the reality is he shot 1/6 tonight (0 assists/2 TO's) and hasn't shown any consistency all year with his shooting or decision making. That said, that sequence might have been a good time to try to get him going with our limited offensive options. 

Awesome win! So happy for the team to have and feel some success. While we can’t expect 28 from RoJo every night, that is how he needs to play, aggressive, attacking the paint, and hitting open shots. It was great to see. 

Great effort and really good to see the guys come through in a tight game on the road. I really like the Morgan/Smith combo. Smith adds an element of skill, athleticism, length, and shooting touch from the forward spot that this team has been missing. And as others have said, it stinks Davis got hurt and I wish it hadn’t happened, but I think this lineup probably better suits the team

Hopefully this is something that can built upon, and also, while the effort at Wisconsin was poor, being 2-2 in conference with 3roads games isn’t a bad spot to be in. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Hopefully this is something that can built upon, and also, while the effort at Wisconsin was poor, being 2-2 in conference with 3roads games isn’t a bad spot to be in. 

6 more road games.  And, while Ohio State will be tough, I think Michigan State is the only one that can automatically be called an 'L'.

16 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

I actually had a Crean flashback when I saw the line up! Many heads exploded over the years when he put an unexplainable line up in during the second half a tight game.

In reality, Archie has his hands tied with how this team is performing plus the Davis/Hartman injuries. Green should be the off the bench guy who provide the offense when others rest, but the reality is he shot 1/6 tonight (0 assists/2 TO's) and hasn't shown any consistency all year with his shooting or decision making. That said, that sequence might have been a good time to try to get him going with our limited offensive options. 

Like many, I didn’t love the move of taking RoJo and Morgan out together, but as you said the lineup was short and Archie was trying to steal them a rest just before the under 8 timeout when they came back. You wish he had taken them out one at a time, but it worked out. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Also meant to add, I can’t wait to see a lineup with Smith, Anderson and Hunter at the same time. Three skilled, athletic, long guys at the 2-4. Wouldn’t complain if you threw Langford in there too 😀. 

I saw Langford play live today.  Had a 3rd quarter you had to see to believe.  16 points in the quarter and looked totally effortless doing it.  Ended up with 35 in the game.

A little off topic, but Gleas talked about wanting to see the trio of Smith, Hunter, and Anderson next year.  Made me think about Race Thompson being part of the equation next season as well.  I'll admit I don't know much about his game.  Is he more of a traditional big, or can he get out and play on the wing as well?  

Nice win.  Glad to see Smith finally get some time, and loved what he brought.  Great games by Morgan and Johnson too.

I liked that we seemed to play a little more free.  I think the reigns have been too tight on our guys which has really hurt their confidence.  I don't know if that was a product of Davis being out, a conscious effort by the staff, or just playing with Minnesota's style, but I liked it better than trying to force us to play slower.  I know some people like the old school offense of playing through a big, but that doesn't have to happen all the time.  It isn't 1993 anymore.

The timing of this game definitely didn't hurt us.  Their first game without Coffey and Lynch.  It worries me that 68 of our 75 points came from three guys.  We won't win many games with that formula.

Also, Pitino is a terrible coach.  Minnesota just ran around like chickens with their heads cut off and put up some terrible shots at crucial times.

Overall though, nice to get another conference win, especially on the road.

21 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Also, Pitino is a terrible coach.  Minnesota just ran around like chickens with their heads cut off and put up some terrible shots at crucial times.

Those who have paid attention know that I've been beating that drum since Minnesota hired him. Crean is a better coach and far better recruiter than Little Ricky.  This win is as much about the coaching matchup as anything. Archie saw which horses to ride and mostly stayed with them.

For those of you discussing when coach took JM and RJ out of the game at the second time in the 2nd half, watch the post game presser with Archie. He discussed the decision and said with a laugh that the staff wasn’t too happy with him. It’s fun.

4 hours ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Just caught up on dvr. Nice timing for RJ to show up with a big game. He limited his turnovers (granted 3 is a good # for him!) and more importantly put up impressive assist numbers finally and hit a 3/7 from three point range. And he could have cracked the 30 mark if not for a slew of missed lay ups! Still so impressed with Morgan and his all around development on both ends this year....20/12/4 blocks. It was good to see him bounce back from the Wisky game where the refs decided he needed to rest for a game. 

And whoever pointed out McRoberts impact on the game tonight was spot on.....7 rbs/3 assists/4 steals. Amazing how a guy with 0 points can impact the game in every other way and help a team win. 

The one point I got really nervous during the game was when Archie sat RJ and Morgan at the same time in the second half, and Green wasn't on the court either. There was just no offensive options with that line up. I was really disappointed that Newkirk didn't take over at that point since he was only guy on the court who could create his own shot or draw the defense to set up somebody else. The offense was a complete mess during those minutes in the second half, and it cost us momentum at the time. It may have been the first time this year I really scratched my head at what Archie was thinking with that group of guys on the floor together.  

It was great to see RJ/Morgan come back in and regain the edge we had on them after that awful line up and not let up in the crucial minutes. I'm still surprised in general that we out battled them all game on their home court with our two missing guys vs. their two missing guys. Nice work tonight by Archie and the boys! 

FWIW, despite the heat certain anouncers take the ESPN crew did mention and give McRoberts due for making winning plays even without registering in the score sheet. .Sorry I tried typing that from my phone.My fingers are too fat so it didn't go well.Lol  

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

A little off topic, but Gleas talked about wanting to see the trio of Smith, Hunter, and Anderson next year.  Made me think about Race Thompson being part of the equation next season as well.  I'll admit I don't know much about his game.  Is he more of a traditional big, or can he get out and play on the wing as well?  

First off, Tom Allen should look into borrowing him. Lol Seriously, has a football background which I won't elaborate on here.It's out there to research.I did quite a bit on the Robbinsdale,MN area coverage.

Think something in between Christian Watford and AJ Moye on the taller side.All around solid stat sheet filler. Thompson adds fairly solid shooting, and hits the contested shots. Stays with plays on both ends.Most of what Thompson does doesn't really jump out at you, then he makes you say wow making a play that seems "too athletic" for him.A big dunk, a huge block, a 3 in an opponent's face. A steal..Whatever it takes, but he plays assertive with a cool head.Some of that is pretty unconventional and probably just good awareness at improvising in the air..Worth preserving that RS,IMO.Miller knows what he's doing,there.This kid is going to be priceless.Smart and ideal attitude from what I've gathered.Mature kid.

Relatively speaking, his recruitment might be considered a coup by several criteria.The schools of note in close proximity all wanting him says a lot.I've saw a ot of high rated players less polished and from a physical standpoint getting reclassified and enrolling is lower risk potential higher reward due to his wotk ethic.Ironic as it is with him taking an RS the chance of Thompson seeing a Senior season at IU might have actually descreased.

3 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Worth preserving that RS,IMO.Miller knows what he's doing,there.This kid is going to be priceless.Smart and ideal attitude from what I've gathered.Mature kid.

Ironic as it is with him taking an RS the chance of Thompson seeing a Senior season at IU might have actually descreased.

Thanks for the scouting report.

I was actually wondering if he might end up playing this year with Davis out and Moore apparently not ready for more minutes. 

Here is the MN story on their loss-

http://m.startribune.com/gophers-amir-coffey-out-for-today-s-game-vs-indiana/468216103/

Just when I get to the point of deflation the pride of IU shows up again and draws me back in...haha. Kidding aside. Just an awesome win in a gym that historically hasn't treated us well. 

We were out for the game and couldn't necessarily here every word clearly. Would like to know if Dakich addressed Pitino allowing Lynch to play up until this point? Also...was he complimentary of Staff/Players for the win? 

Home with Penn St and Northwestern this week. Students back. Momentum on our side. If they focus we could be 4-2 headed to Sparty.

Archived