Minnesota post game thread

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so i couldn't watch the game and really don't like going back to watch recorded games.  i like that i see only 8 guys playing in a close game when i look at the box score.  where did i miss Hartman not playing?  i must really be out of it.

Hartman is day to day with what is reported as a minor shoulder injury.  Not expected to be out long.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Lose and there is no talent and win and they are great players finally showing uo.

Just for the record.  My complaints have not been that we have no talent.  In fact just the opposite.  We have shown when they play within the system, exercise good BB IQ, minimize TO's, and play determined smart defense we can compete with anyone.  See Duke and ND.  My complaints have been about effort, determination, grit, and pride of being a Hoosier.  These are all qualities we as fans should expect. These are the qualities that make me a IUBB Fan for all these years. The W's will take care of themselves if we perform as we should.

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Lose and there is no talent and win and they are great players finally showing uo.

Blowing in the wind as a result of unrealistic expectations. Seriously, at this point this season, with what we have witnessed from this team, I can’t even understand why anyone would expect anything other than the unexpected. 

Settling on what you think is *the* pivot of the season is just setting yourself up for disappointment. It’s season one, we lost all of our scorers, we have nine years of piss poor fundamentals, and a brand new coach with a roster of kids he didn’t recruit here, slow down. We all want immediate gratification, sure, we just should not, under any circumstances, be expecting it this year. 

2 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Just for the record.  My complaints have not been that we have no talent.  In fact just the opposite.  We have shown when they play within the system, exercise good BB IQ, minimize TO's, and play determined smart defense we can compete with anyone.  See Duke and ND.  My complaints have been about effort, determination, grit, and pride of being a Hoosier.  These are all qualities we as fans should expect. These are the qualities that make me a IUBB Fan for all these years. The W's will take care of themselves if we perform as we should.

And to be fair, and I am not disagreeing entirely with your gripes, but those concerns are largely subjective in nature. That is, a lot what you’re witnessing doesn’t necessarily pass an eye test, but you’d have a tough time proving your point, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Some of your beef is conjecture.

24 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

One win doesn’t change how I feel about how talented this team is. It’s still a team that’s not overly talented and the pieces don’t fit great together. Though I do like the lineup and flow of everything much more with a Morgan-Smith-McRoberts frontcourt as opposed to a 3-guard lineup. I don’t expect last nights numbers out f Smith every night, but I do think contInuing to develop him will really help the season  

But, if this team manages to get it together and string together some wins, it’s not because they’re overwhelming teams with more talent, it’s because they’re playing hard, with energy and smart. I guess the talent aspect would be the shots start falling like they did yesterday. 

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

6 more road games.  And, while Ohio State will be tough, I think Michigan State is the only one that can automatically be called an 'L'.

This is true. I looked at the schedule and for the immediate future we have a strong opportunity to get to 4-2 in conference -- however we shall see, as this team is sporadic with both high points and low points this season

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I recall a lot of guys being critical of the team's play against Wisconsin (and rightfully so).  I do not recall seeing where anyone came out and said we had no hope of winning this game. 

You're nitpicking. 

"Sad to say this but I don't see any evidence this team will win against ANYONE...."

"Based on the fight I saw out of this team in the second half against Wisky, I'm expecting a double digit loss and hoping it's not a 20+ blowout. I have very little faith they can give anywhere close to 40 minutes of intense and intelligent basketball in a Big Ten road game, especially at the barn with an up and coming Minny program."

"This team has no heart. This is the worst team we will play in the B1G. We will go winless on the road for sure. "

"Winless on the road and I am not so sure we can win one at home. We look like a junior varsity or freshman team."

Not calling anyone out, wasn't the point at all, but when we're going "winless on the road for sure" etc. we're not winning this game. We won the first half at Wisconsin, then we fell apart (and the Kohl refs played a part). Then there are posts that go can we all agree Rob is not talented enough to start or lead this team? On the heels of a disappointing loss. Point is overreaction to single games. This team is not a tourney team, but it has been gradually improving, and that gets overlooked after losses.

It's also a team that for whatever reason continues to be searching for itself as CAM keeps working to figure out who works best together. The injury to Davis had a silver lining, Smith. I don't expect him to have that significant an impact in every game going forward -- it's one game -- but it was one very impressive game, in his first start and major minutes, he's going to help. Wiscy was disappointing for sure, but it didn't mean the team couldn't win on the road, etc.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You're nitpicking. 

"Sad to say this but I don't see any evidence this team will win against ANYONE...."

"Based on the fight I saw out of this team in the second half against Wisky, I'm expecting a double digit loss and hoping it's not a 20+ blowout. I have very little faith they can give anywhere close to 40 minutes of intense and intelligent basketball in a Big Ten road game, especially at the barn with an up and coming Minny program."

"This team has no heart. This is the worst team we will play in the B1G. We will go winless on the road for sure. "

"Winless on the road and I am not so sure we can win one at home. We look like a junior varsity or freshman team."

Not calling anyone out, wasn't the point at all, but when we're going "winless on the road for sure" etc. we're not winning this game. We won the first half at Wisconsin, then we fell apart (and the Kohl refs played a part). Then there are posts that go can we all agree Rob is not talented enough to start or lead this team? On the heels of a disappointing loss. Point is overreaction to single games. This team is not a tourney team, but it has been gradually improving, and that gets overlooked after losses.

It's also a team that for whatever reason continues to be searching for itself as CAM keeps working to figure out who works best together. The injury to Davis had a silver lining, Smith. I don't expect him to have that significant an impact in every game going forward -- it's one game -- but it was one very impressive game, in his first start and major minutes, he's going to help. Wiscy was disappointing for sure, but it didn't mean the team couldn't win on the road, etc.

Yeah, who could have predicted that Minnesota would get depleted just like Wisconsin, and that we would have Justin Smith getting minutes thanks to our own injuries? Those things don’t happen, we don’t win yesterday. 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yeah, who could have predicted that Minnesota would get depleted just like Wisconsin, and that we would have Justin Smith getting minutes thanks to our own injuries? Those things don’t happen, we don’t win yesterday. 

Of course, and if Rob doesn't go off we don't win, and if Morgan doesn't have a monster game, we don't win. We were depleted too, we got great minutes out of a frosh, of course we don't know that's going to happen, but does that change the fact the team played strong as a team, multiple 20 point scorers, on the road, to get the W? Nope, but if you prefer to take the glass half full outlook and rag on the team or individual players, then ok. I'd rather appreciate the gradual improvement, and the strong play they showed to get the W -- you know, the effort people said was lacking, the lack of fight. That was good effort, all around, why not appreciate it for what it was?

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Of course, and if Rob doesn't go off we don't win, and if Morgan doesn't have a monster game, we don't win. We were depleted too, we got great minutes out of a frosh, of course we don't know that's going to happen, but does that change the fact the team played strong as a team, multiple 20 point scorers, on the road, to get the W? Nope, but if you prefer to take the glass half full outlook and rag on the team or individual players, then ok. I'd rather appreciate the gradual improvement, and the strong play they showed to get the W -- you know, the effort people said was lacking, the lack of fight. That was good effort, all around, why not appreciate it for what it was?

People are. You’re going back and pointing to comments that were made when the situation was completely different. Apples and oranges. 

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

People are. You’re going back and pointing to comments that were made when the situation was completely different. Apples and oranges. 

No I'm not. Those were quotes from before this game, apples to apples, and the quotes were in direct response to what Fouls said. And again, I'm not calling anyone out, I'm talking about how people go extreme after losses. Golly, we haven't won in Wisconsin in 20 years. 20. But because we lost, after being up at the half, the team sucks, they're not going to win a single road game and may not win another regular season game. Apples to apples.

How did we play against Duke, ND, and Louisville? Yeah, they were just fools gold, it's easier to say that to justify saying the team stinks and will lose all road games, right? Big picture: the team seems to be gradually improving, and CAM is still working to find the right mix of players, e.g., or apples to apples, McRoberts inserted into the starting lineup against Wiscy. Did OK but not great. Had a better game against Minn, and helped us win the game, right? 

16 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No I'm not. Those were quotes from before this game, apples to apples, and the quotes were in direct response to what Fouls said. And again, I'm not calling anyone out, I'm talking about how people go extreme after losses. Golly, we haven't won in Wisconsin in 20 years. 20. But because we lost, after being up at the half, the team sucks, they're not going to win a single road game and may not win another regular season game. Apples to apples.

How did we play against Duke, ND, and Louisville? Yeah, they were just fools gold, it's easier to say that to justify saying the team stinks and will lose all road games, right? Big picture: the team seems to be gradually improving, and CAM is still working to find the right mix of players, e.g., or apples to apples, McRoberts inserted into the starting lineup against Wiscy. Did OK but not great. Had a better game against Minn, and helped us win the game, right? 

We didn’t have a single opponent as bad as Wisconsin on the road. Then Minnesota lost players. Then we got more minutes from Justin Smith who played better than Davis has all season. Apples. To. Oranges. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Been holding this to myself for a whole day now. However, ,I am going to take full credit for IU's win over Minnesota.  Just before the game, I said a prayer.  Asking for IU to do something special.  And they did !  LOL

Please say a prayer for me before I buy my next lottery ticket. I promise you I will share the prize with you! lol

45 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Should we accept performances like ISU, Fort Wayne, and Wisconsin?  Have no discussion whatsoever.  Type, "When Archie gets his kids..." after every loss.  The whole concept of a message board is to discuss what we're seeing and what we think about it.  And, to some people, what they saw after Wisky painted a pretty bleak picture.  Nothing wrong with a poster being discouraged after the Wisconsin game, and still being happy with the win at Minnesota.

That's not being hypocritical.  That's simply responding to the situation.  Kind of like buying a new car on Saturday and wrecking it on Sunday.  Two related events that create an understandable swing in emotions.  

And, it should be noted, that a lot of the people that were upset or discouraged were asking to see more of Justin Smith. Minnesota was just one game, but it appears that those people may have had a point.  

46 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Been holding this to myself for a whole day now. However, ,I am going to take full credit for IU's win over Minnesota.  Just before the game, I said a prayer.  Asking for IU to do something special.  And they did !  LOL

Glad to see Jesus loves Hoosier basketball!

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

One win doesn’t change how I feel about how talented this team is. It’s still a team that’s not overly talented and the pieces don’t fit great together. Though I do like the lineup and flow of everything much more with a Morgan-Smith-McRoberts frontcourt as opposed to a 3-guard lineup. I don’t expect last nights numbers out f Smith every night, but I do think contInuing to develop him will really help the season  

But, if this team manages to get it together and string together some wins, it’s not because they’re overwhelming teams with more talent, it’s because they’re playing hard, with energy and smart. I guess the talent aspect would be the shots start falling like they did yesterday. 

see, this is kind of what i'm saying.  people get overly excited and optimistic when we win and overly on the edge when we lose.  this is not a good team and not going to be a good year.  road wins in this conference are not in our immediate future.  luckily MN had just been snake bitten and we played well.  i love it, but careful on getting all excited.  

6 hours ago, zerawkid said:

And to be fair, and I am not disagreeing entirely with your gripes, but those concerns are largely subjective in nature. That is, a lot what you’re witnessing doesn’t necessarily pass an eye test, but you’d have a tough time proving your point, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Some of your beef is conjecture.

Not being argumentative. As they say perception is reality.  I would also agree with you that it doesn't seem to be in Rojo's nature to show any emotion and that has brought what I think is some unfair criticism his way. In the case of the Wiscy game the players themselves stated they did not arrive focused and ready to play in their post game interviews supporting my criticism.  I agreed that we were showing continued improvement thru the ND game.  Then the IPFW and Wiscy debacles erased that perception.  Perhaps Minny W is a turning point.  Only time will tell.  I hope a lot of what we would call "not passing the eye test" is players learning to perform in CAM's system and that it is a result of indecision and lack of fluid play that results.  Those things will improve with time.  Everyone on this board wants the same thing.  A team that plays fundamentally sound BB with grit and determination.

3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We didn’t have a single opponent as bad as Wisconsin on the road. Then Minnesota lost players. Then we got more minutes from Justin Smith who played better than Davis has all season. Apples. To. Oranges. 

Can't. Acknowledge. Anything. Must. Get. Last. Say. Same. Ol'. Tune. Buy. A. Half. Empty. Glass.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Should we accept performances like ISU, Fort Wayne, and Wisconsin?  Have no discussion whatsoever.  Type, "When Archie gets his kids..." after every loss.  The whole concept of a message board is to discuss what we're seeing and what we think about it.  And, to some people, what they saw after Wisky painted a pretty bleak picture.  Nothing wrong with a poster being discouraged after the Wisconsin game, and still being happy with the win at Minnesota.

That's not being hypocritical.  That's simply responding to the situation.  Kind of like buying a new car on Saturday and wrecking it on Sunday.  Two related events that create an understandable swing in emotions.  

And, it should be noted, that a lot of the people that were upset or discouraged were asking to see more of Justin Smith. Minnesota was just one game, but it appears that those people may have had a point.  

Moving targets and straw men. Exactly when did I call anyone hypocritical. Please quote it. When did say we should have no discussion whatsoever? Quote it. I responded to your post that people weren't saying what they said in the quotes I gave you. Instead of acknowledging that, you come back with a new slant. You know what Fouls, that's really not discussion, that's one-sided argument. Yes the picture looked bleak after a letdown loss, after being up at the half at Kohl where we haven't won in 20 years. All I originally said was that I'd like to see people who gave us no chance applaud the team. Too much for you? Wasn't too much for those who came back with props for the team. Yeah it's a message board, no I'm not interested in misdirected argument. Good grief Fouls.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Can't. Acknowledge. Anything. Must. Get. Last. Say. Same. Ol'. Tune. Buy. A. Half. Empty. Glass.

What am I supposed to acknowledge? You didn’t make any sort of point that refuted anything I said. 

Also horribly hypocritical that you went ad hominem while also trying to get the last word. Brilliant. 

Archived