PENN ST. PRE GAME THREAD

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, rico said:

I know absolutely nothing about the Lions.

They only have one truly bad loss - against Rider.  Their other losses are Texas A&M, NC State, Maryland, and Wisconsin.  No signature wins, however.  Best one is at Iowa.  Their starting 5 all average double figures, so you can't key on one player.  However, their bench seems to be thin.

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They only have one truly bad loss - against Rider.  Their other losses are Texas A&M, NC State, Maryland, and Wisconsin.  No signature wins, however.  Best one is at Iowa.  Their starting 5 all average double figures, so you can't key on one player.  However, their bench seems to be thin.

Thanks for the info!

Penn State is dangerous. They have 3 guys shooting over 40% from 3, including Carr their leading scorer who shoots almost 50%. Carr is a guy who scares me, he has the ability to completely take a game over. Between Carr and Stevens that have a good 1-2 punch. Mike Watkins is a big who averages 13 and 9, and I think he's one of those matchups where it would have been conducive to De'Ron Davis' style of play to have an impact. 

We should win this at home, but this isn't your father's Penn State team either. When they're on, they can be really good. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We should win this at home, but this isn't your father's Penn State team either. When they're on, they can be really good. 

Coming into this season knowing the B1G was going to be down, I thought this would be PSU's year to make some progress.  I thought they might pull a Nebraska from a few years ago and sneak out a surprising top four.  I like the job Chambers has done there, but if he can't pull out a top half finish with this group and a down B1G his time might be up in Happy Valley.  

Edit:  Frazier played there, confused his name with Chambers. 

18 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Coming into this season knowing the B1G was going to be down, I thought this would be PSU's year to make some progress.  I thought they might pull a Nebraska from a few years ago and sneak out a surprising top four.  I like the job Chambers has done there, but if he can't pull out a top half finish with this group and a down B1G his time might be up in Happy Valley.  

29 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Unfortunately for Chambers, he hasn't been able to make hay with the 2016 recruiting class he pulled in. Followed it up with two lackluster classes. Chambers basically has the next three years to produce. Once Carr and Stevens are gone...it's gonna get ugly.

30 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

Yes and I believe it was Newkirk at home that sent it to double or scored the winning basket.

The game that Blackman hit the winning shot was at PSU and it was in regulation.  The game at IU went to double or triple OT and Newkirk hit the winning shot.  My daughter was at that game and kept snap chatting my son during the game.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Penn State is dangerous. They have 3 guys shooting over 40% from 3, including Carr their leading scorer who shoots almost 50%. Carr is a guy who scares me, he has the ability to completely take a game over. Between Carr and Stevens that have a good 1-2 punch. Mike Watkins is a big who averages 13 and 9, and I think he's one of those matchups where it would have been conducive to De'Ron Davis' style of play to have an impact. 

Well, my dad--deceased for 30 years, was born in the early 1900's. From 1952-55 (when he would have been in the prime of his life) Penn St. had 3 Sweet 16 and one Final Four team.

:coffee:

I noticed driving home from work that I am more excited about this game than any since the UM game.  It’s more than just the fact that we won our last game. I am so sorry that Davis got hurt, but I am excited to see the lineup we saw in our last game again and to see if they can keep it going. I’m not saying it will turn around our season to the point we would all like it too, but I think we might have stumbled onto something that can allow us to play our best basketball of the season down the stretch. That would allow us to end the season on a positive note as opposed to the negatives we have experienced so far this season. 

All that said, it wouldn’t shock me if we lose tomorrow night and we end up back at square one. 

^^ It's going to be interesting watching Smith for sure. One thing is certain, PSU will have scouted him / watched film from the Minn game, he won't be surprising them. I never read too much into any one game, either way, but if he plays another strong game against this PSU team, it would be a very good sign in my book.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The game that Blackman hit the winning shot was at PSU and it was in regulation.  The game at IU went to double or triple OT and Newkirk hit the winning shot.  My daughter was at that game and kept snap chatting my son during the game.

Our triple OT game caused Purdue fans to miss the entire first half of their game. I wasn't sure how to feel afterward because I wanted Crean gone and each win was a step in the wrong direction, but I decided to enjoy it because it angered Purdue fans.

Archived