Big Ten 2021-2022

On 7/8/2021 at 10:40 AM, 5fouls said:

Makes him very dangerous.  If he does a better job of balancing proven veteran transfers with incoming 5 star talent, he fixes the problem he's had the last few years.

Exactly what i was thinking.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Kentucky win a title in the next 3 years.

15 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

Andy Katz projections 

F123EA38-50A0-43AF-A9B9-8692D741BEE5.jpeg

I would probably move Michigan and Ohio State to 1st and 2nd, and a toss up between IU and Maryland for 4th or 5th.

Also if Kofi doesn't go back to the Illini 7th through 10th could be close and flipped around anyway. 

Northwestern and Nebraska are the two teams that i think could surprise some people this year.

Edited by Hoosier51

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I would probably move Michigan and Ohio State to 1st and 2nd, and a toss up between IU and Maryland for 4th or 5th.

Also if Kofi doesn't go back to the Illini 7th through 10th could be close and flipped around anyway. 

Northwestern and Nebraska are the two teams that i think could surprise some people this year.

I think you're right about Ohio State, but Michigan is trying to replace 2 2nd Team all B1G selections (Wagner and Livers) and 2 solid rotation guys (Brown and Smith) with freshmen and transfers. Dickinson got a lot of room to operate inside because of the Wolverines abundance of good outside shooters, and while I like Eli Brooks, he can't make up for 3 over 40% 3 point shooters by himself. I expect to see Mr Dickinson have a lot of company in the post this year.

I truly see us battling with OSU and Purdue for the top 3 spots. We're not reliant on freshmen for our depth any more. I think we'll be pretty good.

I also think Maryland, Michigan, and Michigan St fight it out for 4th, and Iowa, Rutgers, and Northwestern are better than Wisconsin or Illinois...

Nebraska had another total roster turnover. They do have the McGowans kid and his 5 star brother, but lack depth and experience. So I'd say they'll battle with PSU and Minnesota for the bottom 3 slots...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think you're right about Ohio State, but Michigan is trying to replace 2 2nd Team all B1G selections (Wagner and Livers) and 2 solid rotation guys (Brown and Smith) with freshmen and transfers. Dickinson got a lot of room to operate inside because of the Wolverines abundance of good outside shooters, and while I like Eli Brooks, he can't make up for 3 over 40% 3 point shooters by himself. I expect to see Mr Dickinson have a lot of company in the post this year.

I truly see us battling with OSU and Purdue for the top 3 spots. We're not reliant on freshmen for our depth any more. I think we'll be pretty good.

I forgot about Wagner leaving so that will be a big loss for them, Brown and Smith i think they will be able to replace. You are probably right about Dickinson, it might be a little more crowded for him this year. I might flip them with Ohio State.

I think the Hoosiers ceiling is third which i would be extremely happy with. I say that because we have so much new this season so there is a lot of unknown.

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I also think Maryland, Michigan, and Michigan St fight it out for 4th, and Iowa, Rutgers, and Northwestern are better than Wisconsin or Illinois...

I think with who Iowa has loss that they take a big fall in the standings, and while i think Northwestern might improve and surprise some i don't think they are better then those teams.

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

I forgot about Wagner leaving so that will be a big loss for them, Brown and Smith i think they will be able to replace. You are probably right about Dickinson, it might be a little more crowded for him this year. I might flip them with Ohio State.

I think the Hoosiers ceiling is third which i would be extremely happy with. I say that because we have so much new this season so there is a lot of unknown.

I think with who Iowa has loss that they take a big fall in the standings, and while i think Northwestern might improve and surprise some i don't think they are better then those teams.

Davante Jones (transfer from Coastal Carolina) might ba a one to one swap with Smith, but asking a freshman to replace Chaundee Brown's off the bench scoring, defense, and leadership will be asking a bunch...Michigan lost over 42 ppg production from last year...that'll be tough to make up...

Iowa definitely lost a lot, but I think Keegan Murray is going to blossom into a star, and they do have some experience coming back with Bohannon, both McCaffery kids, Joe Toussaint, and Tony Perkins...add 6'9 transfer Filip Rebraca (17 ppg at North Dakota) and I think they'll be ok. They're not going to challenge for the B1G title, but I think 5th is a realistic ceiling for them.

Edited by IUFLA

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Iowa definitely lost a lot, but I think Keegan Murray is going to blossom into a star, and they do have some experience coming back with Bohannon, both McCafferty kids, Joe Toussaint, and Tony Perkins...add 6'9 transfer Filip Rebraca (17 ppg at North Dakota) and I think they'll be ok. They're not going to challenge for the B1G title, but I think 5th is a realistic ceiling for them.

While i think they might be a better defensive team, losing Garza, Weiskamp and Fredrick along with Nunge if he could stay healthy will be just to much for them. I see them finishing closer to 10th then 5th.  

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

1st Team all Sun Belt guard...

One of my peers is a Louisiana Lafayette alum (played football there) and says he's a pretty good shooter...

Just looked at his stats.  Looks like a great pick up.  4 year player-3 year starter.  A couple of things jump out at me.  Stats suggest he doesn't distribute the ball much(career APG 1.4) and they also suggest he doesn't get to the line much(86 FTA last year) although he is a career 78% shooter from the stripe.

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

Just looked at his stats.  Looks like a great pick up.  4 year player-3 year starter.  A couple of things jump out at me.  Stats suggest he doesn't distribute the ball much(career APG 1.4) and they also suggest he doesn't get to the line much(86 FTA last year) although he is a career 78% shooter from the stripe.

I noticed that too...his assist to turnover ration is like 1/2 last year and 1/1 for his career, so I wouldn't want to rely on him at PG...

I think Meechie Johnson is their PG of the future anyway...either that or Justice Sueing will play point forward like he did a lot last year...

But you can never have enough experienced veteran shooters...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NY hoosier said:

Would you be happy with a 10 seed In the NCAA tournament 

On paper this team is better than a 10 seed so in that regard I'd be a little disappointed. However my brain just says make the darn tourney in year 1 for Woodson and go with it. How's that for both sides?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, NY hoosier said:

Like Seeking6, I would not be satisfied with a 10 seed but I would be glad they at least made the NCAAT. It's been 5 years since that last happened so a 10 seed is better than no seed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NY hoosier said:

Right now...no. Depending on what is happening in the season maybe. If we are fighting injuries or we start really slow but make a run at the end that is fine. I just want to be trending UP at the end of the year. Seeding is so relative. Depends on who is in that side of the bracket. There are times I'd rather be a 6-7 seed then a 4-5 seed based on who is in our side of the draw. Many times avoiding that 1 seed is really important. Usually there is tiers where the 1 seeds are kinda on a different level...then at some point the 2-3 might be a level below and it's just about where the drop off happens. Heck there are times I'd rather face a 3 seed then a 4 depending on the draw and matchup so in total...let's get in the tournament healthy and playing well. I think on paper this can be a S16 team but I do expect us to win a game at least. Lot of talent on this team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NY hoosier said:

No I would be disappointed, I think IU has better talent then a 10th seed. Although like has been said I will be happy just to see the Hoosiers in the tourney.

Edited by Hoosier51

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Without having more information, no.

Agree. We’re getting projected as a 10 based on previous seasons. Based on the talent, assuming they learn the system in a timely manner, we should be at worst a 6-7 (borderline ranked) in my book. No way Illiniois should be a 7 based on what they lost. Lunardi been paying attention? Or does the transfer portal have him all delusional?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Agree. We’re getting projected as a 10 based on previous seasons. Based on the talent, assuming they learn the system in a timely manner, we should be at worst a 6-7 (borderline ranked) in my book. No way Illiniois should be a 7 based on what they lost. Lunardi been paying attention? Or does the transfer portal have him all delusional?

He’s always delusional. 

The reality is we have a potential starting lineup that may include the B1G POTY, the B1G Freshman of the Year, a fourth year starting PG from a Power 5, another guard who has a lot of starting experience and averaged nearly 20 ppg, and arguably the best player/scorer on a B1G team last year. That’s not the profile of a 10 seed. 

• Like 3