Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

25 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don't think enough teachers are interested in actually teaching. And the US is sorely lacking in science and math teachers.  Science and math are where critical thinking skills are developed.

I graduated college with one of my friends from high school.  He was the only one that year to graduate with a math degree. He can teach wherever he wants.  A few years ago my cousins husband was asked to teach a science class. He is a PE teacher. They asked him because my cousin has a biology degree and could help him. They asked her to do it but she already has a job. 

My friend I could go on and on about our public school system. Feel bad for many good teachers (my sister one of them) but the system is broken and honestly being used for purposes/motives that are not education related instead of making kids and learning the priority. 😞

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dgambill said:

While Biden may claim he isn’t your article directly references (SF, LA, NY) some municipalities are banning them. (California starting in 2030 will no longer be allowed to purchase new gas stoves) New York and Oregon haven similar legislation being proposed and pushed in new buildings etc so it isn’t hard fetched to see where the confusion has started especially with how the govt handled the report. Whether it is Biden or not states are trying to do it so if you want to keep buying gas stoves or you enjoy gas cooked food in many of your fine dining restaurants well you have a choice to push back. May not effect too many people but I don’t blame those that don’t like it for being vocal. A lot of things on the right or left get pushed through without the public being aware or having a say so I’d rather see passion then apathy.

I'm going to move this over here. 

One thing cities and states are doing is using building codes to phase out natural gas.  The problem is we are trying to force all this new electricity demand onto an already outdated and overtaxed electrical grid. We've been fortunate to have a mild winter this season.  About 60% of electricity is produced using fossil fuels. The rest is from renewables which doesnt even come close to generating the kWh needed to power this country. Where will new energy production come from?  You cannot reduce energy output while demanding more electricity.  

I think the people trying to implement these ideas don't think of the downstream effects and have a fundamental misunderstanding of energy and the laws of thermodynamics.  You cannot create energy from nothing and it seems like that's what they want. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I think you touched on some important things in your post. Shallow thinking and gullibility are a problem. 

But I also think many of us want to believe things that agree with our world view, no matter how bonkers they may seem. 

It doesn’t help that television (and print)  “news” is being weaponized against us. People consume so much bad information from these programs. 

I love Ted Lasso, but even if I didn't, I am trying to embody this a bit more.

• Like 5

Saw today’s front page on NYT and immediately thought of @mrflynn03

The balloon thing is very alarming, but the factories in Mexico are just as alarming to me. I am not anti-China or anti-any country really (other than Russia right now, b/c of Putin). I have three staff members from China who are in the US on visas, that I have helped them get. I think it’s a function of where I live, but I don’t really care where people came from as long as they are willing to work and contribute to society. Heck, a quarter of my staff are from outside of the US. 

BUT, I am sick of the Chinese govt. constantly pushing, prodding, and probing the rules/restrictions that countries are supposed to follow to maintain good relations. 

Chinese firms are establishing factories that allow them to label their goods “Made in Mexico,” then trucking their products into the United States duty-free.

I am VERY strict on trying not to buy things from China though. Some of it’s unavoidable, but if you make an effort and are willing to spend more, you can avoid a lot of goods made in China. We need to make more things in the US period. I like USA made goods and am always willing to pay the made in USA price. I know that’s easy for a DINK like me, but we have got to stop buying so much throwaway Chinese junk in our society. 

B701D5A4-9118-4D90-AC61-923BC27C0D2E.jpeg

• Like 4

My experiences with Chinese in China is they are good hard working people. Unfortunately, they believe that everything belongs to the People (government). So no wonder they don’t believe in intellectual property. Just like the Russian (and American) governments are ruining any possibility of getting along. Even more so the Chinese government! They totally believe in communism and the only way for that to ultimately work is for them to control everything!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My experiences with Chinese in China is they are good hard working people. Unfortunately, they believe that everything belongs to the People (government). So no wonder they don’t believe in intellectual property. Just like the Russian (and American) governments are ruining any possibility of getting along. Even more so the Chinese government! They totally believe in communism and the only way for that to ultimately work is for them to control everything!

Yep, good people in my experience. Bad government. I guess you could say the same thing about us in many respects. 

Am just sick of the constant crossing of lines and testing limits. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Saw today’s front page on NYT and immediately thought of @mrflynn03

The balloon thing is very alarming, but the factories in Mexico are just as alarming to me. I am not anti-China or anti-any country really (other than Russia right now, b/c of Putin). I have three staff members from China who are in the US on visas, that I have helped them get. I think it’s a function of where I live, but I don’t really care where people came from as long as they are willing to work and contribute to society. Heck, a quarter of my staff are from outside of the US. 

BUT, I am sick of the Chinese govt. constantly pushing, prodding, and probing the rules/restrictions that countries are supposed to follow to maintain good relations. 

I am VERY strict on trying not to buy things from China though. Some of it’s unavoidable, but if you make an effort and are willing to spend more, you can avoid a lot of goods made in China. We need to make more things in the US period. I like USA made goods and am always willing to pay the made in USA price. I know that’s easy for a DINK like me, but we have got to stop buying so much throwaway Chinese junk in our society. 

B701D5A4-9118-4D90-AC61-923BC27C0D2E.jpeg

The balloon thing is wild but pretty clever. Cant use a plane so why not a "weather balloon".

I'm not anti people at the individual level.  I just believe the Chinese government is the biggest threat to economic and individual freedom in the world. The biggest perpetrator of human rights violations.  China wants to be the sole superpower. They think it's their rightful place and are mad the US attained that position in less than 200 years.  They want to destroy us. 

Wages are increasing in China so I wonder if part of moving manufacturing to Mexico is because it's cheaper?

I prescribe to the buy once cry once idea.  I'd rather pay more up front for a quality item. Been burned enough buying the same peice of crap multiple times. I avoid Chinese made products as much as possible.  I have no qualms about buying European made products.

I don't think it's a contradiction to believe in capitalism but be anti consumer.  For one, people buy too much stupid crap they don't need and want it cheap so they can buy more stupid crap.  I think what pisses me off more than anything is real estate and vehicles. Part of the reason why it's so expensive is because people take all the bank will loan them and follow stupid rules made up by the financial industry that says you should spend X% of your gross income. NO!  number one you don't take home your gross, number 2 spend what fits in your budget. Then they want to bitch about prices when it's their gluttonous behavior that drove the prices up in the first place.  I've had people ask what to do with money if they don't spend it. Invest, sit on your ass and watch your money make money.  People don't have to deprive themselves, just have some restraint and moderation. 

That was a good vent. I feel better now. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Maybe. Or possibly tracking all the Chinese immigrants crossing the northern border. 

I can't believe the air force doesn't have a way to get this down. Is it too high for a helicopter? I guess helicopters go to about 25,000 feet. Snag it with an airplane? Launch our own hot air balloon? Think its dangerous to just let it go.

Edited by Reacher

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I can't believe the air force doesn't have a way to get this down. Is it too high for a helicopter? 

I wouldn't think so. I would think a helicopter could match a balloons altitude. 

It's old technology but I would think they could grab it with a skyhook and drop it over an uninhabited area. 

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

I wouldn't think so. I would think a helicopter could match a balloons altitude. 

It's old technology but I would think they could grab it with a skyhook and drop it over an uninhabited area. 

After reading more, much too high for a helicopter. Its been floating over the US for days and the Air force is tracking it. It is the size of 3 buses!

• Like 3

Just now, Reacher said:

I can't believe the air force doesn't have a way to get this down. Is it too high for a helicopter? 

They need to get it down and find out what instrumentation is on it. Found a weather balloon one time. I didn’t open it up but sent it back through the mail per instructions. The box only weighed a few ounces so there wasn’t much to it. Appeared to have an antenna and got to believe it was reading temperature, pressure and location. If I remember correctly it had launched from Arkansas when a storm was blowing through the South East. I found it in Georgia.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Looks like it will be passing by close to you....

Apparently Biden has refused to shoot it down. I don't agree with that decision. 

NOAA-HYSPLIT-China-Balloon-Model-02032023.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Hesitancy because we don't know what's in it...

There is one way to find out 😁.Article I saw said they were worried about debris over Montana. I get that the air force is monitoring it.  An EMP over the east coast would do much more damage than some debris raining down on Montana. Then we could at least analyze it. Looks like we are just going to let it fly into the Atlantic and let some ship from China retrieve it. Now they know they can do it again without consequences.

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

What altitude did it say it was?  May enter Crane NSWC airspace on that route. 

China is able to control it somewhat as its trajectory has changed. Recently at 60,000 feet or 11 miles or 14,000 meters. Current trajectory puts it on a path to go right over Norfolk Naval base. 

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2