Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Any teachers on here? Had some friends in town and were out for dinner last night. She's a teacher in NW Suburbs of Chicago. Anyway their school district allows the students to take an exam up to 3x before final grade given.

Admittedly I was like what is that? She said most of the kids get the exam, study all the questions on it...know they get another two cracks at it and go from there. Something to do with Math Science scores/grades,etc....and the importance to the school district?

I never heard of anything like this before and was curious if any other teachers hear of stuff like this.

I don't have a terrible problem with it.  Mastery is the goal.  At least grasping the concepts.  I would allow kids to restudy, and retake the parts they missed for half points.  But only one chance.  In the real world, if you screw something up or don't know, go figure it out, don't quit, was my ideology.   3 times seems excessive and I'm sure they brag about their high scores.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Any teachers on here? Had some friends in town and were out for dinner last night. She's a teacher in NW Suburbs of Chicago. Anyway their school district allows the students to take an exam up to 3x before final grade given.

Admittedly I was like what is that? She said most of the kids get the exam, study all the questions on it...know they get another two cracks at it and go from there. Something to do with Math Science scores/grades,etc....and the importance to the school district?

I never heard of anything like this before and was curious if any other teachers hear of stuff like this.

I took a 300 level geography class in college. It was a night class and met once a week.  Each week we were given a homework assignment which we were quizzed on the following week.  Every 4th week we had a test based on the homework and quiz questions.  The final was culmination of the quizzes.  I thought it was the most effective way of learning compared to the other methods.  15 years later I still remember things I learned from that class.

When it comes to math and science I didn't like the rote memorization method.  It was better to have the equations and formulas available like they allowed us in my college classes and instead focus on being able to use them.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Female shooter. Small Christian School. Friends in Brentwood sent their kids there years ago. No answers anymore for this stuff.

At first I read "female teen" now I'm seeing she was 28 years old...

So sad...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

These children are not growing up how we grew up and there isn't anything they can do to change it.  We collectively need to find a way to change it.  It's on us.

image.png.0461a7d751eeb1b21765290f57f15078.png

Man, that photo is haunting. We have failed today’s children is so many ways. It’s really brutal to think about all the crap they have to put up with for our “freedoms.” 

25 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

it's a heated issue, and my views aren't everyone else's, but we need to try and "all of the above" strategy IMO, even things I don't agree with

I’m extremely conflicted, I think it’s more about going back to the basics, instead of inventing new solutions. The original problem with the basics is the same problem with the new solutions! It comes from a lack of understanding other people, other cultures. Worse, our denial of it and then rejection. I’ll never forget the life changing moment I had when I realized how extremely color naive I was. I had no clue as to how different life is for whites and blacks!!

If you want an all the above solution, start with a grassroots effort of understanding. That horrible word TOLERANCE just allows us to continue on in our denial of being naive!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I’m extremely conflicted, I think it’s more about going back to the basics, instead of inventing new solutions. The original problem with the basics is the same problem with the new solutions! It comes from a lack of understanding other people, other cultures. Worse, our denial of it and then rejection. I’ll never forget the life changing moment I had when I realized how extremely color naive I was. I had no clue as to how different life is for whites and blacks!!

If you want an all the above solution, start with a grassroots effort of understanding. That horrible word TOLERANCE just allows us to continue on in our denial of being naive!

Understanding and tolerance are a really good start. It’s hard to know how other people are struggling, if we don’t even acknowledge that struggle as real. 

I also have zero expectation that most people in the US care about the struggle of others. That’s kind of how we got to where we are today. It’s all “I got mine and if you didn’t get yours, then you must be flawed in some way.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Understanding and tolerance are a really good start. It’s hard to know how other people are struggling, if we don’t even acknowledge that struggle as real. 

I also have zero expectation that most people in the US care about the struggle of others. That’s kind of how we got to where we are today. It’s all “I got mine and if you didn’t get yours, then you must be flawed in some way.”

Instead of disrespecting others life’s and actions try understanding! I remember a black girl I have a lot of respect for! We had several good conversations. I witnessed her giving a huge hug to a transgender girl on her last day. She gained a lot more respect from me!

19 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Instead of disrespecting others life’s and actions try understanding! I remember a black girl I have a lot of respect for! We had several good conversations. I witnessed her giving a huge hug to a transgender girl on her last day. She gained a lot more respect from me!

Those 3 children who died did not disrespect the shooter's life.  That's all I'm saying on this subject because I can't avoid making it political.  And, my beliefs have nothing to do with the shooter being transgender.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

it's a heated issue, and my views aren't everyone else's, but we need to try and "all of the above" strategy IMO, even things I don't agree with

If "all of the above" is taking any and all guns away then I got a problem with that.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Poll shows major decline in things that matter and an almost double jump in money mattering the most.  Selfishness is just another piece of our problems.  

https://www.axios.com/2023/03/28/america-core-values-economy-poll

That poll might be relevant in the question that keeps going through my mind...

This kind of stuff didn't happen 30 years ago... So what has changed? 

2 hours ago, rico said:

If "all of the above" is taking any and all guns away then I got a problem with that.

I don’t have the answers but I think it means liberal folks and conservative folks keeping an open mind on things they usually disagree with to.. you know.. save children from being murdered.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I don’t have the answers but I think it means liberal folks and conservative folks keeping an open mind on things they usually disagree with to.. you know.. save children from being murdered.  

This.

I would be labelled as conservative on most things.

I'm tired of children getting murdered.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This.

I would be labelled as conservative on most things.

I'm tired of children getting murdered.

I am absolutely against anyone taking their own life but if someone is this jacked, kill yourself only.  Sadness compounded exponentially and turned into horror.  I'm sick of it.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I got an open mind as long as it doesn't involve changing the Constitution.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I am absolutely against anyone taking their own life but if someone is this jacked, kill yourself only.  Sadness compounded exponentially and turned into horror.  I'm sick of it.  

It's possible one of the adults in this scenario 'wronged' the shooter when she was a student.  I can't justify killing that person, but it at least adds a level of understanding as it would relate to THAT specific person.

However, there is simply no amount of logic that allows me to comprehend killing those 3 children.  And, yet we, as a country, continue to let it happen over and over again.  And, our society has paralyzed itself from doing anything about it.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Sad 1