IU W Over PSU Post Game Thread

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Umm.... That's what fans have done and will continue to do.

You would really enjoy the game a lot better if you can just watch it and enjoy the win instead of worrying about things you have no control over.  When I was younger I would let losses stick with me for days but when I grew up and I could move on from them.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You would really enjoy the game a lot better if you can just watch it and enjoy the win instead of worrying about things you have no control over.  When I was younger I would let losses stick with me for days but when I grew up and I could move on from them.

And I have the emotional stability to critique something without my mood being impacted by it. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Still seems like Kentucky. What do I know though? I'm younger than you so my intelligence is down. 

I use to think our fan base was the most knowledgeable fan bases in the country but don't think that any longer.  Reading the message boards over the years made me realize that our fan base is getting like all the other fan bases.

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I am old if you consider 47 old

47 is ancient. 😬

I’ve been probably one of the more vocal backers of Rob this season, and tonight wasn’t a good performance by him. I still hold, however, that this doesn’t mean that he doesn’t care and isn’t trying. Just wasn’t his night and he made some bad decisions.

Great win for IU! It wasn’t pretty, but very encouraging to see IU win a game like that. Penn State doesn’t have any depth, but their “Big 3” is as good as any in the Big Ten. Carr can really play, though I’ve never seen a guy get away with more push-offs and hooks offensively. 

Morgan is playing so well right now, and really leading this team. Wish We had gone back to Smith later in the second half, but we won so tough to complain. As usual McRoberts made some big plays. Hartman contributed, and I thought Newkirk had one of his better games in terms of just controlling things. Though Green still had some of those sloppy mistakes, I thought he played well and we’re better when he’s aggressive in a smart way. 

On the RoJo thing, it’s just basically more of the same. We can argue whether he played fine or terrible, but it’s disappointing this is the debate we have about a 4-year starter, senior guard. His inconsistency is maddening. His boneheaded turnovers are maddening. His bad shooting is maddening. I love the effort he gives on defense. He played really hard on Carr and was often in great position, sometimes the opponent (Carr) is just that good. 

One thing I really liked and this and every other board harped on it for years. We shot 3-17 from 3 in first half. We had 4 point lead. Guys on the radio basically said you can shoot like that when you only have 2 turnovers. 2! The shooting is what it is. We don't have pure. We all know it. Nice way to get another W. Keep the momentum. Now onto Northwestern on Sunday. 

After watching the entire game this morning I have come to the conclusion that IU simply scratched and clawed their way to a victory.  Once again they had chances to put in the dagger but didn't.  My hats off to the Lions, I was impressed with their starting 5.  On to Northwestern.

I was very pleased with the player movement and ball movement on offense. For most of the game, we did a good job moving the ball forcing the defense to move and finding openings to attack or using it to get the ball into the post.

We beat Minnesota thanks to great games from 3 players. This game, 2 of those players had off nights and others stepped in and picked up the slack. 

Shout out to the coaching staff for finding ways to win these league games. Hopefully our learning pains are behind us and we stay consistent the rest of the year. 

So much has been said both last year, and for the better part of this year, as to how many turnovers IU commits.  I think not enough has been said about IU limiting the number of turnovers to 9 against PSU.  And only 2 turnovers in the first half.  In fact Robert Johnson alone was guilty of committing 4 of the 9 total turnovers.

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

On the RoJo thing, it’s just basically more of the same. We can argue whether he played fine or terrible, but it’s disappointing this is the debate we have about a 4-year starter, senior guard. His inconsistency is maddening. His boneheaded turnovers are maddening. His bad shooting is maddening. I love the effort he gives on defense. He played really hard on Carr and was often in great position, sometimes the opponent (Carr) is just that good. 

Fair perspective. He clearly didn't have a strong offensive game. But he made key plays and played solid D that just as clearly helped us win. Some general thoughts from other observers:

"The Hoosiers moved the ball and moved the Nittany Lions so relentlessly that many, if not most, of their 27 3-point attempts were quality looks. Only six of them went down. It’s fair to wonder if this team will ever regain the shooting touch that had become so second nature in recent years." https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2018/01/09/insider-hoosiers-respond-archie-miller-penn-state-win/1011759001/

- Rob was moving the ball well, no one outside of Morgan was hitting shots (outside shots, 6-27). The incessant need to critique's Rob's individual offensive woes takes a blind eye to what he was doing, with the other guys, moving the ball to the right places, which by the way reflected good decision making instead of "bone headed" bad drives into traffic, that helped get the W. It was an ugly win, but it was a win, against a good team that was playing good D including zone that our guys struggled with.

or

"Indiana’s defense also held Penn State to 1.01 points per possession, which is under the Nittany Lions’ conference average so far (1.06). And while the Hoosiers coughed it up more in the second half, they still only turned it over on just 13 percent of their possessions." http://www.insidethehall.com/2018/01/09/the-minute-after-penn-state-14/

Rob's D was a key part of this. This is not me being some kind of nutty RoJo fan, it's me appreciating the things he did to help get the W. Completely fair to be frustrated with his inconsistent offensive game (I am as well) -- but then we shot very poorly, as a team, against  good D, we still got looks but they didn't drop, and we still found the way to "gut out" the win, which Rob played a part in. To ignore his contributions while focusing only on his mistakes is, well, to ignore things.

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

Perhaps this team now has an identity.  We don't have the talent to overwhelm B1G caliber teams.  Instead we'll scrap to get or stay ahead and do what it takes to win in the end.  Kind of like our coach.

I think this is exactly the identity CAM is trying to build. Scrappy -- or tough -- D first, working the ball to the best position get a bucket, looking for back door cuts, swinging the ball to create either an open 3 or room to drive, crashing the glass for possessions, diving to the floor for loose balls. We are not exceptionally talented as a team (though Morgan is turning into a genuinely fantastic college player), but we seem to be starting to turn into a fighting team. Add shooters and elite scorers to that formula and you build a really strong team.

1 hour ago, rico said:

After watching the entire game this morning I have come to the conclusion that IU simply scratched and clawed their way to a victory.  Once again they had chances to put in the dagger but didn't.  My hats off to the Lions, I was impressed with their starting 5.  On to Northwestern.

Good post, as usual.  It wasn’t pretty, but we did what we needed to get it done.  We played smart and rugged ball for the most part.  

This is just not a talented team.  In particular, they just cannot shoot the ball with range.  That limits our upside and I have accepted it.  

I have said all along, for IU to be any kind of a factor, we need Rob.  I think there were a couple of plays at least where he didn’t hustle enough.  That’s not good when you’re not having a good game. Having said that, I’ve seen too many second semester seniors really kick it into high gear, and I think Rob can.  

Green is another key guy.  He’s our other guard who is well rounded.  He has the ability to do anything out there, from shoot, to drive, to defend, to pass.  Newkirk is limited and Durham has become really shaky.  I think if Green just slows down mentally and gets careful with the ball, possession by possession, he can turn it on and be a critical factor in games, especially down the stretch.   I feel like he’s been rushed in the past, where he tries to do too much or loses focus.  

We all love McRoberts and rightfully so.  From a skill standpoint, he has tremendous hands. In addition to his hard nosed play and effort, the fact that his hands are like suction cups helps him just snag balls all over the place.  

Smith is getting his chance.  By everyone’s admission, he started to slip on his play but Archie pointed out how refreshed he was after the Christmas break.  His play against Minnesota was amazing but the consistency will be key. 

I am not sure why people are calling for Moore right now.  I am very bullish on his long term upside, but he’s probably overwhelmed right now.  It’s pretty obvious that Archie will play freshmen and Moore would play if he were ready.  I don’t buy into the idea that you hand minutes to anybody.  If Moore deserved to play, he would.  

11 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Nah, he had a terrible game. Sorry. Played great Sat, but terrible tonight. And if we have a chance to win more than we lose this year, our senior guard has to be much better. Poor shooting, poor decision making, and the guy he was tasked with guarding he couldn’t guard. He got beat to the lane a number of times on defense. What’s the most disturbing is that he got picked from behind once, and then didn’t even hustle to try to get the ball back. Maybe he’s trying hard 99% of the time and maybe he’s frustrated, and I’ll continue to root for him, but he was bad tonight. I guarantee you HE would tell you he was bad tonight. And CAM would tell you he was bad if it was appropriate to point out as a head coach. The positive? He wasn’t so terrible that he cost us the game. And without him we still won. 

The above mentioned BOLD and UNDERLINE is why i think RoJo doesn't care.  This is was the same thing that happened last year.  He got picked and then didn't hustle to try and get back.  He jogs and then stops.  

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

He is right that it requires less moving parts of your body to mess up the shot. Maybe it's not for everybody, but big men with 'no touch' would probably benefit from it. Really, anybody who shoots under 50% should be required to switch. If they are afraid of looking silly then too bad.....you look much silly-er shooting under 50%. 

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I would like to bring to everyone's attention, that Collin is playing with his arm  in a support. .

He wasn't shooting that well when he was healthy.  Here are his current stats.  He is average at best in all facets.  He is a good glue guy and a leader on the floor.  And does seem to get the "shot" you need when you need it at times.  But he has been and never will be a great shooter

image.png.6522433fc2a19a8a325d6179391c06c3.png

11 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Perhaps. But let's say he drives the lane and hits the shot,draws the foul and gets the "and 1".  Now Bardo is saying he is"a cagey senior leader who recognized the mismatch and attacked the rim, keeping the pressure on Penn State in crunch time". Same play, different result, completely different narrative.  It's a bad play because it didn't work.  No one says otherwise if he makes the shot and draws the foul.

Winning covers for alot of things.  Lose and your flaws are criticized, win and people over look it.  Everyone gives McBob a complete pass for not being able to score, ever, because he hustles almost at all times, is a good rebounder and defender and like hartman, is in the right place alot..  But the guy didn't shoot once last night in a 26 minutes of play.  Not one shot.  And Robs play doesn't matter if that is his only bad play of the night or if he guy get 4 points or he doesn't have 6 TOs.  Rob just isn't playing well.  Doesn't mean we won't win, just means he may need to come off the bench, might help his game

Archived