IU W Over PSU Post Game Thread

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It's kind of like some teams do with their bigs.  If they have a big that is somewhat competent shooting the 3, they'll pull them out on the perimeter early just to make sure the defense knows they can't leave them out there.  Even if they miss the shots, the other team knows they're willing to shoot it so they'll be out on them a little more.

We saw it last night with Morgan.  It didn't look intentional, he just happened to be in the right place at the right time and found himself open, but it makes the defense respect him.

Even if he doesn't hit a lot of shots, McRoberts has to start putting up at least a couple shots a game just to keep his defender honest.

Otherwise I'd tell whoever was guarding him to double Morgan any time he got the ball within 10 feet of the basket.  Then have nobody help off onto McRoberts unless he's going in for an uncontested layup.  Let him have a wide open 3 and recover because everybody knows he isn't going to shoot it.

I actually think it is intentional getting Morgan some outside looks early.  It opens up the floor for him and everyone else and we have now seen it happen two games in a row. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, KoB2011 said:

I actually think it is intentional getting Morgan some outside looks early.  It opens up the floor for him and everyone else and we have now seen it happen two games in a row. 

Just went back and watched the highlights, and you might be right.  Similar set up each time.  I was doing other things while watching it and didn't see that closely enough.

I'd love to see the same thing happen with McRoberts.  Maybe not super early to start the game, but at some point during the game.

18 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Just went back and watched the highlights, and you might be right.  Similar set up each time.  I was doing other things while watching it and didn't see that closely enough.

I'd love to see the same thing happen with McRoberts.  Maybe not super early to start the game, but at some point during the game.

Yep, both threes Morgan hit came from the top left of the key, and I’m pretty sure he hit a couple from that same spot in the Wisconsin game as well.  I’m sure the staff has analytics that show he’s money from that spot, so they’re drawing up plays for him to get the ball there.  I’ve always thought it would be really cool to get a look at all the data they collect.

Personally, I can't say how much I appreciated McRobert's game against PSU.  His tenacity for going after the ball. Disrupting, play after play. And over all heart. Nothing that will ever show up in the stat sheet, however everything that should be appreciated by all IU fans who love this great game of college basketball.

59 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Personally, I can't say how much I appreciated McRobert's game against PSU.  His tenacity for going after the ball. Disrupting, play after play. And over all heart. Nothing that will ever show up in the stat sheet, however everything that should be appreciated by all IU fans who love this great game of college basketball.

Even his fouls prevented easy baskets. 

1 minute ago, Muckraker said:

Even his fouls prevented easy baskets. 

Thank you for that.  Fouls do show up in the stats.  However, they don't measure the meaning and impact of the foul.  So much goes into this game, from an IQ perspective. And why I appreciate guys like McRoberts.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

He is our best defender and it’s not even close. Who would have thought,  a tall, unathletic white guy can play great defense. Just think if the others played with half his effort, but of course you can’t strut your stuff when your playing hard and fast on defense, so never mind.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I think this perfectly sums up why people want to see him look to score on offense a little more.  He does so many things that are valuable, you want him on the floor as much as possible.  However, if we're behind and needing to put up points, it's tough to have somebody out there who hasn't scored in the last 3 games (85 minutes).  He's great crashing the boards and doing the little things, but we don't have the firepower to hide him when we need to put up points.

If he could just average 5 points and pretend like he's looking to score when he has the ball, that would be a huge help.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think this perfectly sums up why people want to see him look to score on offense a little more.  He does so many things that are valuable, you want him on the floor as much as possible.  However, if we're behind and needing to put up points, it's tough to have somebody out there who hasn't scored in the last 3 games (85 minutes).  He's great crashing the boards and doing the little things, but we don't have the firepower to hide him when we need to put up points.

If he could just average 5 points and pretend like he's looking to score when he has the ball, that would be a huge help.

As much as I agree with you  about what he does things that are valuable that don't show up on the stat sheet..... I also agree with you in that he needs to show just a little more on the offensive side... in order to help out the other four.  In that, teams can't neglect McRoberts just to double some one else. And the thing about that is that, IMHO, McRobert's can shoot.  He just needs to believe in himself... as a shooter... as much as I believe in him.  In the end... it's all between the ears.... if you know what I mean.

3 hours ago, Montana Hoosier said:

He is our best defender and it’s not even close. Who would have thought,  a tall, unathletic white guy can play great defense. Just think if the others played with half his effort, but of course you can’t strut your stuff when your playing hard and fast on defense, so never mind.

I wouldn't call him unathletic. I would actually call him an above average athlete. 

Archived