Coaches on the "Hot Seat" 2018

rico

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yep. The FBI has not finished their investigation of the Auburn program.

Auburn, more than maybe any other program, was about one rogue assistant. 

We can pretend Pearl is dirty like Pitino or Calipari, but the reality is he did nothing wrong besides break a bad rule. It's similar to someone smoking weed in Indiana. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Auburn, more than maybe any other program, was about one rogue assistant. 

We can pretend Pearl is dirty like Pitino or Calipari, but the reality is he did nothing wrong besides break a bad rule. It's similar to someone smoking weed in Indiana. 

Can't believe that Bruce sits in meetings with his assistant's...... and knows nothing ?  And Indiana needs to get on board, just like Colorado, by the way.  Too much time being spent on things that don't matter.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Unless something comes from the FBI investigation I don't think he is going anywhere with Auburn being 15-1

Reminds me of Knight.  When he was winning for IU. People just look the other way, when their coach is winning.  Doesn't  make it right.  Just makes it the way things are. 

By the way.... I kind of like Pearl.  The color Orange, kind of makes him.  And he does great BBQ in his backyard.  Time will tell, though. 

Chuck Person aside.  There is a lot of drama along side a program that has not made the Big Dance since 2003.  Yeah... if Pearl's seat is not hot.... it is at least getting warm.... despite his record. 

Little Ricky has been on my hot seat list since Minnesota hired him. His record pre-hire was pedestrian and I felt like they hired him out of desperation to get better on the recruiting front. He did have some recruiting success but I've never changed my position that he's a piss-poor tactician.

...and I absolutely agree that Ewing was a terrible hire at Georgetown. I listened to an interview of his not long ago and frankly, he didn't sound very intelligent. Great player but I don't see him translating to great coach. 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Can't believe that Bruce sits in meetings with his assistant's...... and knows nothing ?  And Indiana needs to get on board, just like Colorado, by the way.  Too much time being spent on things that don't matter.

I would agree if Person did something that "helped" Auburn but it appears he kept most of the money for himself. The Craft thing at UT I think we can all agree is a dumb rule and Pearl really only got in trouble for lying. That's why the weed comparison. 

And yes, I TOTALLY agree Indiana needs to change their laws. Fortunately, a moronic Attorney General may have sped that process up when he decided to target CBD oil that didn't even contain THC. I don't expect the fix to that to be legalization but I think it had forced a real conversation among our state legislature. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I would agree if Person did something that "helped" Auburn but it appears he kept most of the money for himself. The Craft thing at UT I think we can all agree is a dumb rule and Pearl really only got in trouble for lying. That's why the weed comparison. 

And yes, I TOTALLY agree Indiana needs to change their laws. Fortunately, a moronic Attorney General may have sped that process up when he decided to target CBD oil that didn't even contain THC. I don't expect the fix to that to be legalization but I think it had forced a real conversation among our state legislature. 

Good post. You took exception with a moderator, in a very civil way.  Well within the scope of our simple rules. And something we appreciate in terms of how to disagree.  Disagree with the subject matter, not the individual.  Again. Well done (there you go, Rico, I have said it again ! LOL ).

Additionally, you were one of the first to find us and join back in August.  You even beat me. In my case.... I was having issues with the Invision system as to why it took me approx. two more weeks to hop on board, thanks to one of my fellow moderators, who worked diligently to fix the issues, which enabled me to finally be a part of this great fan board.  I guess, what I am attempting to say, is we do appreciate you (as well as so many others) as a part of HSN 3.0 and how you go about conducting yourself.  Sure makes our job much easier. 

The moderators will continue to make this place a "troll free" place.  And as I continue to say.... you and all our members, have my personal assurance that HSN 3.0 will continue to be free to all our members.  Free of ads. Free of pop-ups. Free of membership fees. And free of requests for handouts. 

Thanks for being a part of HSN 3.0.

On 1/13/2018 at 3:00 AM, FKIM01 said:

Little Ricky has been on my hot seat list since Minnesota hired him. His record pre-hire was pedestrian and I felt like they hired him out of desperation to get better on the recruiting front. He did have some recruiting success but I've never changed my position that he's a piss-poor tactician.

...and I absolutely agree that Ewing was a terrible hire at Georgetown. I listened to an interview of his not long ago and frankly, he didn't sound very intelligent. Great player but I don't see him translating to great coach. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1983/02/09/ewing-under-siege/a17fe474-6ec8-42a9-8ad6-19880d4d9990/?utm_term=.d9956d90bf7b

Ewing was treated deplorably while a student at Georgetown but he never conveyed the image that he belonged in college. I vividly remember an interview with him and a thug named Michael Graham in the early 80's. You could tell that Patrick was struggling both in comprehending what was being asked as well as being able to make a coherent sentence in response 

10 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1983/02/09/ewing-under-siege/a17fe474-6ec8-42a9-8ad6-19880d4d9990/?utm_term=.d9956d90bf7b

Ewing was treated deplorably while a student at Georgetown but he never conveyed the image that he belonged in college. I vividly remember an interview with him and a thug named Michael Graham in the early 80's. You could tell that Patrick was struggling both in comprehending what was being asked as well as being able to make a coherent sentence in response 

Don't get me started on Georgetown during the John Thompson era.  That is a topic for another thread.

20 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I remember the banana peel incident...disgusting to say the least.  In the end, Georgetown's experience with Patrick makes his hiring all the more puzzling.  Talented?  No question. Ability to recruit? Maybe...he sure has the starpower, but there's no body of evidence that says he can be successful.  Coaching ability? I'd call it highly suspect to say the least. As I said earlier, I'd be surprised if Ewing is an effective tactician. I'd love for Ewing to prove me wrong, especially with the crap he put up with in college. I just don't see it.

They like Fran out here in Iowa.  They are disappointed with this season but he has finally started getting some better recruits.  And he has 1 son there now who is injured again and another 5* caliber son coming in 2019.  He may be on the hot seat next year but i doubt its this year.  Plus, Iowa fans really care more about football than they do their basketball program.  Don't forget they had lickliter here for several years.  Watching that iowa team score 40 points a game was horrible.

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m going out on a limb that Ewing is a cautionary tale on why you don’t hire a coach because he was a legend at your school.  Who knows, maybe he will do great there. We will see.  

G-town replaced a legend with the legend's son.  Now they hired the greatest Hoya to don the uniform.  Seems like a pattern is developing.  Me thinks that Georgetown is gonna slip into obscurity.

Archived