Indiana MSU pre-game talk

Drroogh

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Staying out of foul trouble is the biggest factor. I feel like Michigan St is that team that we all know is really good but their confidence is shaken. Hopefully we aren't on the receiving end of the inevitable wake up call. This might be a game where I watch it on the treadmill. Could go ugly. 

Agree. A lot has to go right for IU to win or even really be in the game, but the first thing I'll be looking for is the foul situation early on. If we can get to the 10:00 mark of the first half with Morgan and Smith clean in terms of fouls, then all the other things that need to happen (shooting, defense, rebounding, etc.) will be possible. If one or both, especially Morgan get two quick ones, then it could be a long game. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. A lot has to go right for IU to win or even really be in the game, but the first thing I'll be looking for is the foul situation early on. If we can get to the 10:00 mark of the first half with Morgan and Smith clean in terms of fouls, then all the other things that need to happen (shooting, defense, rebounding, etc.) will be possible. If one or both, especially Morgan get two quick ones, then it could be a long game. 

I think Justin will be in foul trouble early and we will see a lot of Collin in this game. Hopefully his shoulder has healed well enough to enable his outside shot to be on.

On a positive note for IU, MSU is averaging almost 14 TOs per game, 224th in the nation.  IU has forced 14 or more TOs in its last 6 straight games.  If our guards can keep up the good pressure they’ve shown recently, they should be able to harass MSU’s guards into coughing up the ball, which should lead to some easy transition buckets.

I am seeing a game played in the 50's. The only thing I expect from this team is to play hard. As I have stated a couple times, I fully expect the officials to ruin even the small chance we have of making this close.

I more look forward to the Maryland game as a predictor of our B1G success this year.

5 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i definitely agree and that's why i'm surprised at the optimism of winning in East Lansing.

Yeah, I don't think anyone here is saying that they think that we will win...

but on the flip side, if we have no chance then we might as well not even make the trip.. Far crazier things have happened then us winning this game.

I still think we were letting two bad games color our perception of this team too much. If we were 13-5 and on a 3 game win streak with the way MSU is playing everyone would be expecting a win. Not saying we will win, buy the team we have shown to be for 16 games should go in there and compete very well. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I still think we were letting two bad games color our perception of this team too much. If we were 13-5 and on a 3 game win streak with the way MSU is playing everyone would be expecting a win. Not saying we will win, buy the team we have shown to be for 16 games should go in there and compete very well. 

On the flip side, we may also be letting three good games in a row against bad competition color our perception of this team too much.  Hard to say right now, but we’ll have a definitive answer by the end of the month.

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

On the flip side, we may also be letting three good games in a row against bad competition color our perception of this team too much.  Hard to say right now, but we’ll have a definitive answer by the end of the month.

I have no clue whether we  win or lose this game.  Of course prevailing opinion is we lose.  However, we do appear to at least be competitive again and showing the attributes of a team we have desired all year.  I know Archie doesn't accept anything but a W as he should.  As a fan this year, I will be happy if we are competitive and don't roll over.  W would be the icing on the cake. If we only went by records snd expectations we wouldn't  need to play the game.  The reason we enjoy these matchups as fans is because David does slay Goliath on occasion.  Why not tomorrow!

One thing I believe is that defense can travel. Sometimes your offense doesn't come along when you're playing an away game. If we play good defense, we can hang with any team for 30-35 minutes, which should be the foundation of our game plan. After that, we just have to execute well in crunch time. I know it's easier said than done. 

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I totally disagree. I can look at how we played in some of our early losses and see the steady progression. Seton Hall e played a good half, Duke a good 36 minutes and a good 38 minutes against UL. 

ISU and FW are not who we are. If that was our reality we wouldn't even be 11-7. 

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I totally disagree. I can look at how we played in some of our early losses and see the steady progression. Seton Hall e played a good half, Duke a good 36 minutes and a good 38 minutes against UL. 

ISU and FW are not who we are. If that was our reality we wouldn't even be 11-7. 

The fact of the matter is we haven’t beaten a good team since the IPFW beatdown, and we lost to a terrible Wisconsin team.  I agree that the team seems to be playing better than they did in the ISU and IPFW games, but they’ll have to bring that effort consistently over the next 6 games to prove they’ve really turned the corner.  This team could still easily finish with a sub-.500 conference record.

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

For once this year KoB i disagree with you here.  I absolutely think we're seeing the grass as greener due to the competition we have played the last 3 games.  Now that doesn't mean we haven't gotten better while playing this level of comp.  But it doesn't mean we are going to walk into MSU, OSU, or PU and put a lock them down defensively because we did so against teams that had no stars.  We could, but most likley we're still the same team we started with that has gotten better.  I hope i am wrong and we continue our winning streak, but i just don't think this team has leveled up yet.

7 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

All conventional wisdom points in this direction. Of course IU can pull an upset. But only crimson colored glasses would predict it.

I believe most on here, would agree that I am always wearing my Crimson Colored glasses.  And yet, even with them on.... I am having a hard time seeing an IU victory on Friday.

Archived