'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The NBA has gotten to be unwatchable to me for that very reason.  You can still find a good college game most nights, but that style has made a lot of elite teams painful to watch because their players have NBA aspirations.  As a result, the coaches play the NBA style.  

I just hope Woodson realizes that 4-24 is more indicative of IU's skill set than some random game where we might shoot 12-24.  With our roster, our best chance of success is to go against the grain with the way we play.  

I would say the NCAA has done it's best to mimic the NBA game.  The shot clock in and of it's self is not conducive to running good offense.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Bobby Hurley has a lot of talent down there...

Wonder how hot that seat is?

Well it ain't like ASU is the bastion of college hoops.  Hurley, imo, has done a good job with the Devils.  2 NCAAT appearances and a winning % a tick below 60.  But with that being said I am sure there are fans calling for his head as they consider themselves a basketball power.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Well it ain't like ASU is the bastion of college hoops.  Hurley, imo, has done a good job with the Devils.  2 NCAAT appearances and a winning % a tick below 60.  But with that being said I am sure there are fans calling for his head as they consider themselves a basketball power.

Maybe, but I'm not sure 2 NCAA appearances in 5 years (didn't count the COVID year) and a pretty crappy Pac-12 resume (11, 8, 8, 2, 3, 9) is going to hold up, even at a school like ASU...

His name is only going to carry him so far...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Maybe, but I'm not sure 2 NCAA appearances in 5 years (didn't count the COVID year) and a pretty crappy Pac-12 resume (11, 8, 8, 2, 3, 9) is going to hold up, even at a school like ASU...

His name is only going to carry him so far...

At the end of the day it is about winning.  It is kind of puzzling that Bobby can't quite be a constant winner in that Mickey Mouse conference.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rico said:

At the end of the day it is about winning.  It is kind of puzzling that Bobby can't quite be a constant winner in that Mickey Mouse conference.

I agree...and he's getting some talent...maybe not getting UCLA type hauls, but he's gotta be top 2 or 3 in the conference in recruiting ranking...

That said, I'm was trying to decipher who was the most successful on the Coach K coaching tree? Quin Snyder maybe? 

Edited by IUFLA

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree...and he's getting some talent...maybe not getting UCLA type hauls, but he's gotta be top 2 or 3 in the conference in recruiting ranking...

That said, I'm was trying to decipher who was the most successful on the Coach K coaching tree? Quin Snyder maybe? 

Tommy Amaker?

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Quin Snyder college record was 126-91,  pros 323-231

Johnny Dawkins college record is 251-175

Amaker college record is 426-277

Edited by jv1972iu

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The NBA has gotten to be unwatchable to me for that very reason. 

That and the Diva factor drove me away a few years ago. I've always thought if I had to pick a non-Diva NBA team I'd wind up with Hubie Brown and 4 ball boys (no offense to the NBA fans on here 😁)...

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I just hope Woodson realizes that 4-24 is more indicative of IU's skill set than some random game where we might shoot 12-24.  With our roster, our best chance of success is to go against the grain with the way we play.  

I agree to a point, but 2 factors in the first game...players who shouldn't be taking 3 pointers, (like Race and XJ), and not getting enough looks for the proven shooters (Stewart and Kopp) coupled with first game jitters makes me hopeful the 4-24 was an anomaly and not the baseline...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That and the Diva factor drove me away a few years ago. I've always thought if I had to pick a non-Diva NBA team I'd wind up with Hubie Brown and 4 ball boys (no offense to the NBA fans on here 😁)...

I agree to a point, but 2 factors in the first game...players who shouldn't be taking 3 pointers, (like Race and XJ), and not getting enough looks for the proven shooters (Stewart and Kopp) coupled with first game jitters makes me hopeful the 4-24 was an anomaly and not the baseline...

I agree.  Stewart's first two 3's are what you want for this team...quick rebound and outlet and a 3 off the break in rhythm.  JMHO.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Tommy Amaker?

16 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Quin Snyder college record was 126-91,  pros 323-231

Johnny Dawkins college record is 251-175

Amaker college record is 426-277

Amaker is an interesting study...did ok at Michigan, but apparently not well enough for them, but is burning up the Ivy league...may be ready for another P5 job?

Dawkins has 2 NCAA tournament appearances in 15 years at Stanford and UCF...

Snyder was pretty successful his first 4 years at Mizzou...but 3 mediocre years did him in... following Mizzou legend Norm Stewart probably didn't help...

As I said, I don't follow the NBA closely, but I thought he was doing pretty well as the coach for the Jazz...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Lots of ways to define success as George Bailey found out.   MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. POTTER!!  😊

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Let's not forget Geronimo. Woody chewed his ass in the huddle for taking the 3 way too early in the shot clock. Think he was 0-4 in the game from distance.

I think he plays too fast on offense. He doesn't let the game come to him. But love his defense and rebounding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Snyder was run out of Missouri after he was charged with 17 allegations for improper benefits to recruits. The program was put on 3 years probation. 

43 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Snyder was run out of Missouri after he was charged with 17 allegations for improper benefits to recruits. The program was put on 3 years probation. 

That's right...I remember that now...had a nephew going to Mizzou at the time (I have 4 nephews...2 Mizzou grads and 2 Illinois grads...family reunions use to be a hoot)...

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Rumor was he had a serious cocaine problem while coaching Mizzou as well.

I heard that as well, but not sure how much substance there is to it...

I'd hope the Jazz did a thorough background check before they hired him, and I'd think if that rumor had any substance they would have found something...

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Some hideous 3 point shooting going on nation-wide so far as his season.  Begs the question.  Is the line too deep?  Or, are too many guys that cant shoot it, shooting it?

Probably all of the above.  Also a lot of those shots probably are not the best shots available.  I have seen guys who had a layup but kicked it out to the 3