Off-Season

We were so incredibly blessed to watch this kid. His toughness was just unreal. Truthfully, I think he will be a very good player in the NFL. His instincts are very good, he can play and tackle in space, and he has very, very good foot speed. Hope he tests well. I doubt he will be doing the bench press at the combine, I don't think that will hurt him much though. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not gonna lie… I’m glad to not have to face him again. 

Honestly though, I loved watching him play and hope he does well at the next level. Easy guy to root for despite his choice of school for college. 

Karlaftis and Bell too.  Between the two schools, we actually had some premier talent.  

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 9:18 AM, btownqb said:

I hope Reese Taylor catches one hellacious crack block next November. He deserves it. 

Merry Xmas 😂

The best thing we can do is win next year go to a bowl and turn our backs on him! We gave him every opportunity to be a great player. If he was unhappy that was on him! Afraid to complete for his position is all I can figure! 

Honestly are any of these guys good enough to even play at Purdue?? They all look like depth additions to me. Not even sure why Purdue wants any of these guys...none of them made a difference for us this year...maybe they will coach them up....I know Reece was a great HS player in Indiana....but whatever....down here in Florida he would be just another guy. I would think Purdue would want to do better coming off the season they had. Moving on.

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly are any of these guys good enough to even play at Purdue?? They all look like depth additions to me. Not even sure why Purdue wants any of these guys...none of them made a difference for us this year...maybe they will coach them up....I know Reece was a great HS player in Indiana....but whatever....down here in Florida he would be just another guy. I would think Purdue would want to do better coming off the season they had. Moving on.

I don’t know if any of them are bonafide starters but rather depth pieces like you mentioned. CB we had some injuries last year and have added 3 CB’s via the portal. Damarjhe Lewis played a decent amount for us last year at DT and was in the 2-deep. Main reason he transferred was his cousin was a freshman CB for us last year. No clue what to expect from Samspon James tbh. 

Bringing in guys like Reese Taylor, Tyrone Tracy, and Broc Thompson should only help our recruiting efforts in Indy as those guys were all a big deal coming out of high school. Even if they don’t amount to much on the field, it can help make in-roads recruiting wise IMO. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don’t know if any of them are bonafide starters but rather depth pieces like you mentioned. CB we had some injuries last year and have added 3 CB’s via the portal. Damarjhe Lewis played a decent amount for us last year at DT and was in the 2-deep. Main reason he transferred was his cousin was a freshman CB for us last year. No clue what to expect from Samspon James tbh. 

Bringing in guys like Reese Taylor, Tyrone Tracy, and Broc Thompson should only help our recruiting efforts in Indy as those guys were all a big deal coming out of high school. Even if they don’t amount to much on the field, it can help make in-roads recruiting wise IMO. 

I mean honestly....you guys have done fine in the state recruiting lol...don't need help from these guys considering the NFL guys that have come through Purdue over the years from Indy etc. They just feel like lateral moves....for you and the kids.

Edited by dgambill

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean honestly....you guys have done fine in the state recruiting lol...don't need help from these guys considering the NFL guys that have come through Purdue over the years from Indy etc. They just feel like lateral moves....for you and the kids.

Fair points! But we’ve had some guys enter the portal who haven’t really made an impact or played much so I view these as an upgrade to what we’re losing you know? But I also was super pumped when we landed DJ Johnson from Iowa a year or so ago and he didn’t do a damn thing and quit football haha. Total crapshoot. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Fair points! But we’ve had some guys enter the portal who haven’t really made an impact or played much so I view these as an upgrade to what we’re losing you know? But I also was super pumped when we landed DJ Johnson from Iowa a year or so ago and he didn’t do a damn thing and quit football haha. Total crapshoot. 

I usually look at transfers with a high level of skeptisism...although maybe I need to adjust that. I look to see what kind of team he is leaving and where going etc...like what will make this a successful move and how will the kid benefit. Guess I just don't see this as much of a loss for us nor a gain for you guys....and honestly not really a big gain for the kids as I'm not sure they will have any more opportunity there as they did here. Anyways....good luck to them.....except when they play us of course!

Edited by dgambill