Will Juwan Morgan be here next season ?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I still don't quite understand the definition of "not NBA ready" when it pertains to physical tools. 

This is a good question. Imo, it's largely dependent on the individual player you're talking about, his physique/athleticism/tools, in relation to the position(s) he's most likely to play at the next level.

A guy like Troy, with extreme athleticism/hops, or OG, with high athleticism and strength to go with a monster wing-span, has an "NBA ready" body/physique, both had the physical tools to get to the NBA, but OG had better perceived "tools" coming out of college. 

Only question with OG was his health following the ACL tear -- in terms of how NBA ready he was, his physical tools and physique were perfect for a "3 and D" type player, athleticism, length, wing-span, height/size,  to go with demonstrated ability to shoot from deep, proven defense, and a decent, developing handle. A perfect 3 and D type.

Troy had next-level athleticism pretty much from the day he walked onto campus, but he was much more raw offensively, needed a lot of work on his handle and outside shot coming in. He started out as a frosh playing out of control. He improved his handle and outside shot considerably while at IU, and his "tools" were there,  physically, but he was less refined and his defensive ability was still unclear. He pretty much exploded over the summer and into his rookie year -- he raised his game to match his physical tools.

Others have compared Morgan to a Draymond-type player, and that seems fair. He does not have that explosive athleticism for a clear next-level 3-and-D type guy, but he's got a really good all-around defensive game, he's strong, and he's got the size and strength to play the 3-4. Since he doesn't have that ridiculous athleticism of a Vic or Troy-type, I think he has to show at least the ability to grow offensively to spread the floor (as Draymond did) -- I think he's already starting to show that with the occasional three-point shot, and I said last summer I've seen him shoot up close and he can, but he hasn't demonstrated that consistently -- in that respect, he's a lot like Vic as a soph, Vic had the shot, and form, you could see it in his FT's and in practice, but his average as a soph from the arc was in the 20s. Given the strength of his all around game, his size and physical strength, I think he has the "physical tools," but I think he needs to improve his shooting skill to make him an attractive NBA candidate.

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Only the SHADOW ( & Juwan Morgan) KNOWS , VBG !!!

And for most of our younger members. An explanation is in order. The Shadow was a radio show.... before television.  Perhaps HTD and I are the only members to know. I do recall the days before tv, when the family would gather around the radio to listen to shows like this.  Yes. 

The Shadow Knows 

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

I still don't quite understand the definition of "not NBA ready" when it pertains to physical tools. 

The GM of the team I tried to talk into giving me a tryout said it was because I was 5:9, 52 years old, and fat.  Those probably qualify under that definition.  

20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Good article.  I think people are underrating his defensive abilities at the next level.  It's probably true he isn't quick enough to guard 3's, but he absolutely can guard 4's and 5's at the next level.  He is very strong and very quick; sometimes being shorter can be an advantage on defense.  Guys get uncomfortable when you can easily get up into them. 

I was talking about this topic early in the season.....maybe after the Notre Dame game. I thought we're going to hear more speculation about jumping to the NBA if Juwan kept up his production. 1st step is the break out game. 2nd step is consistent production. 3rd step is praise in the media and by opposing coaches. Suddenly he's not under the radar and will be garnering the attention of scouts. 

I think everybody gets caught up in the question: is he ready now or will he be ready in another year? Not trying to stifle speculation because this is a message board and it's fun, but our 'expert fan opinions' don't hold any weight...especially because we have vested interest in him staying. We are biased. It matters what scouts see and what they are telling him. It matters what Archie is telling him. Most of all it depends on where Juwan sees himself. We as fans can point to Draymond Green as proof of a 4th year helping draft stock, but Draymond Green....or Yogi...is not the norm these days. 

I'm not saying he should  or should not go pro. Point is I don't know jack....the only thing that has been consistent the last 10 years is my surprise of certain players declaring for the draft. It'd be naive to dismiss the possibility of this happening; don't be surprised if it does. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I was talking about this topic early in the season.....maybe after the Notre Dame game. I thought we're going to hear more speculation about jumping to the NBA if Juwan kept up his production. 1st step is the break out game. 2nd step is consistent production. 3rd step is praise in the media and by opposing coaches. Suddenly he's not under the radar and will be garnering the attention of scouts. 

I think everybody gets caught up in the question: is he ready now or will he be ready in another year? Not trying to stifle speculation because this is a message board and it's fun, but our 'expert fan opinions' don't hold any weight...especially because we have vested interest in him staying. We are biased. It matters what scouts see and what they are telling him. It matters what Archie is telling him. Most of all it depends on where Juwan sees himself. We as fans can point to Draymond Green as proof of a 4th year helping draft stock, but Draymond Green....or Yogi...is not the norm these days. 

I'm not saying he should  or should not go pro. Point is I don't know jack....the only thing that has been consistent the last 10 years is my surprise of certain players declaring for the draft. It'd be naive to dismiss the possibility of this happening; don't be surprised if it does. 

All good points. It seems likely that he'll declare, test the waters, and will weigh the feedback in making his decision. I think (fan for sure, of IU and Morgan) he'd be better off for draft position and his potential NBA future by continuing to work on his outside shooting, but then we've got about half a season remaining and he's got the opportunity to hear directly from the teams if he tests the water.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

All good points. It seems likely that he'll declare, test the waters, and will weigh the feedback in making his decision. I think (fan for sure, of IU and Morgan) he'd be better off for draft position and his potential NBA future by continuing to work on his outside shooting, but then we've got about half a season remaining and he's got the opportunity to hear directly from the teams if he tests the water.

The thibg with his shooting is scouts aren't going to care what his percentage ended up. They'll look at him shooting well now and his form, but the fact that he started out the year poorly isn't likely to be the deciding factor on if a team is comfortable with his shooting or not. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The thibg with his shooting is scouts aren't going to care what his percentage ended up. They'll look at him shooting well now and his form, but the fact that he started out the year poorly isn't likely to be the deciding factor on if a team is comfortable with his shooting or not. 

I think that I heard or read somewhere that scouts don't place importance on shooting percentage, rather they look at a player's free throws - their form and their percentage at the line. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think that I heard or read somewhere that scouts don't place importance on shooting percentage, rather they look at a player's free throws - their form and their percentage at the line. 

Yes scouts do look at FT's and FT%, one reason I referenced those for Vic when he was shooting in the 20's from the arc, but they do look at outside shooting form and whether or not the player is showing improvement. That has become more important in the past couple of years as the NBA now emphasizes the three ball and mobile bigs / players who can play multiple positions including the perimeter.

Doing my daily reading about recruits this morning.  I ran across a statement from an NBA representative, in terms of Romeo Langford.  What he said was that the NBA would take Romeo today.  And wished that the NBA would get back to taking kids straight out of high school. I am with him on that.... so long as the NBA stays away from kids at least through their college junior year, if they elect to go to college rather than the NBA. 

I dislike the testing the waters deal. Yeah, on paper, it sounds like a good thing. But... that is what cost us getting McKinley Wright.  Two of our guys were "testing the waters" last year, and as a result, not only did they eventually leave, but McKinley was not willing to take a chance..... and as a result, we missed out on one  of the best freshman IMHO, this year.  Yes... I consider him one of  the best, if not the best.... considering performances this past week.  This story, not withstanding, from the week before :

Freshman of the Week: Colorado's McKinley Wright edges out Oklahoma's Trae Young

44 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Doing my daily reading about recruits this morning.  I ran across a statement from an NBA representative, in terms of Romeo Langford.  What he said was that the NBA would take Romeo today.  And wished that the NBA would get back to taking kids straight out of high school. I am with him on that.... so long as the NBA stays away from kids at least through their college junior year, if they elect to go to college rather than the NBA. 

I dislike the testing the waters deal. Yeah, on paper, it sounds like a good thing. But... that is what cost us getting McKinley Wright.  Two of our guys were "testing the waters" last year, and as a result, not only did they eventually leave, but McKinley was not willing to take a chance..... and as a result, we missed out on one  of the best freshman IMHO, this year.  Yes... I consider him one of  the best, if not the best.... considering performances this past week.  This story, not withstanding, from the week before :

Freshman of the Week: Colorado's McKinley Wright edges out Oklahoma's Trae Young

We didn't miss him because of guys testing the waters. We didn't have an open scholarship even with who did end up leaving. I've also seen that Archie didn't want to poach a guy from where he left; it didn't feel right to him. 

50 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We didn't miss him because of guys testing the waters. We didn't have an open scholarship even with who did end up leaving. I've also seen that Archie didn't want to poach a guy from where he left; it didn't feel right to him. 

I hate to differ.  However, McKinley himself, said he would have loved to have been a Hoosier.... but did not want to take a chance of missing out of the Colorado scholarship, while two of our players had yet to declare for the NBA.  But you are right about what Archie said.

42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I hate to differ.  However, McKinley himself, said he would have loved to have been a Hoosier.... but did not want to take a chance of missing out of the Colorado scholarship, while two of our players had yet to declare for the NBA.  But you are right about what Archie said.

Are you talking about Bryant and JBJ? Because even if they had announced earlier, we still didn't have a scholly for Wright. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Are you talking about Bryant and JBJ? Because even if they had announced earlier, we still didn't have a scholly for Wright. 

Yes. Thought we would have had room.  Guess, I am off base on this one.  Still..... would have loved to have found a way for McKinley.  He is special. And only going to get better.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Yes. Thought we would have had room.  Guess, I am off base on this one.  Still..... would have loved to have found a way for McKinley.  He is special. And only going to get better.

For him to get a scholly we would have need an additional player to transfer because of the coaching change, Colin not come back, or one of Crean's '17 recruits to decommit. But yes, it appears he would have really helped this team. 

Archived