Will Juwan Morgan be here next season ?

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

For whatever reason, the Painter track record of success in the NBA is just dismal. In that aspect, Crean has ran circles around him and I expect Archie will too. Maybe Painter's team strategy and/or player development just doesn't translate well to the NBA. I expected Swanigan to do much more especially after having a good summer, but his stats really tailed off once he faced NBA regulars.

Don’t think that’s on team strategy/player development. It’s Painter’s job to get them to the league. Once they get there, it’s on the player and NBA staff. How many guys did Crean get to the NBA where it wasn’t a sure thing they’d be NBA guys when they got to IU? Oladipo and Troy Williams? Guys like Zeller and Vonleh were NBA guys when they got to IU. Swanigan was the only sure-fire NBA guy when he arrived at Purdue IMO. 

On Swanigan, I think it’s a bummer that there’s a logjam at the PF spot for Portland. I hope he can come back with a vengeance. 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think that’s on team strategy/player development. It’s Painter’s job to get them to the league. Once they get there, it’s on the player and NBA staff. How many guys did Crean get to the NBA where it wasn’t a sure thing they’d be NBA guys when they got to IU? Oladipo and Troy Williams? Guys like Zeller and Vonleh were NBA guys when they got to IU. Swanigan was the only sure-fire NBA guy when he arrived at Purdue IMO. 

On Swanigan, I think it’s a bummer that there’s a logjam at the PF spot for Portland. I hope he can come back with a vengeance. 

You missed Anunoby & Ferrell of the top of my head.  That's at least four and four that are succeeding...not just getting there.  For all Crean did wrong, he was very good at developing raw talent and finding guys with underappreciated potential. He smoked Painter in that regard.

...and it doesn't matter if there's a logjam of power forwards wherever he is. If Swanigan shoots as poorly as he was before getting sent down, he won't make it on any team.

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Swanigan was in the rotation and fell out. The log jam is not to blame. 

59 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cody wasn't a sure thing coming out of HS.. he did a ton of work from May to Nov his FR year. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I have to disagree here.  He was a 6'11 big who could run the floor.  Everyone expected him to be a 1 and done.

Several places had him right in the middle of the lottery (7-8) after his freshman year.  It wasn't at all a sure thing he would come back. for the 2nd year.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Several places had him right in the middle of the lottery (7-8) after his freshman year.  It wasn't at all a sure thing he would come back. for the 2nd year.

Yes, i was responding to btownqb who said he wasn't a 1-and-done player.  I have to disagree.  But its my and my friends opinions is all.

Regarding Morgan I sure hope he stays but besides Free Throw shooting not sure he could improve his own draft stock anymore. Next year with more talent coming in he would be in a shared role.

The old do team accomplishments get you drafted or individually. Regarding Cody. He was going to the league no matter what we did or not. To his credit he added tons of muscle/strength while at IU. Only helped his draft status. 

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding Morgan I sure hope he stays but besides Free Throw shooting not sure he could improve his own draft stock anymore.

That's part of my worry with him. He's shown good post moves, he's shown he can run the floor, he can bang down low, he's shown he can shoot (11-25 from 3 in his last 11 conference games).

It isn't like Oladipo where everyone knew if he showed a better jumper he could move way up.  There isn't much Morgan could do for scouts to move him up a lot from where he is now.

So if that's actually the case, he either gets paid now because he can't go up much more or he stays because he can't go up much more. I'm 50/50 on if he'll return or not.

48 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Yes, i was responding to btownqb who said he wasn't a 1-and-done player.  I have to disagree.  But its my and my friends opinions is all.

Did you see him play in HS? You do know he put on 25-30lbs from to Nov, before his first game right?

On 1/22/2018 at 4:38 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Oladipo

Troy

OG 

Yogi

And he developed all of them. You can't discount a college coach's development for the NBA, and no one saw Vic or Yogi as NBA players, Troy was extremely -- extremely -- raw and OG was off most everyone's radar.

On 1/22/2018 at 5:38 PM, btownqb said:

Cody wasn't a sure thing coming out of HS.. he did a ton of work from May to Nov his FR year. 

Right. Cody was ranked below Plum3 for most of his HS career. He was rail thin, there were tons of questions, he was by no means a sure fire NBA player, but under Crean he added 25 pounds of muscle before his first game and got a ton of development.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Right. Cody was ranked below Plum3 for most of his HS career. He was rail thin, there were tons of questions, he was by no means a sure fire NBA player, but under Crean he added 25 pounds of muscle before his first game and got a ton of development.

Certainly someone that many thought later down the road was going to be in the NBA... it blew us all away he could have gone top 10 after his FR year. 

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding Morgan I sure hope he stays but besides Free Throw shooting not sure he could improve his own draft stock anymore. Next year with more talent coming in he would be in a shared role.

The old do team accomplishments get you drafted or individually. Regarding Cody. He was going to the league no matter what we did or not. To his credit he added tons of muscle/strength while at IU. Only helped his draft status. 

There’s a ton he can do to improve his draft stock. He’s a 3 in the NBA unless he wants to pack on 25lbs of muscle. His spot up jumper from 20 feet is improving but he needs to stretch that out to 24ft on a consistent basis while work on creating his own shot around the perimeter. Also dribble driving to the basket and working on becoming more of a distributor. With another year he can mimick Denzel Valentine and play his way into a mid 1st rounder. If he leaves now he will struggle to even get drafted in my opinion. He has the skill set to expand his game further than what he’s shown thus far

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

There’s a ton he can do to improve his draft stock. He’s a 3 in the NBA unless he wants to pack on 25lbs of muscle. His spot up jumper from 20 feet is improving but he needs to stretch that out to 24ft on a consistent basis while work on creating his own shot around the perimeter. Also dribble driving to the basket and working on becoming more of a distributor. With another year he can mimick Denzel Valentine and play his way into a mid 1st rounder. If he leaves now he will struggle to even get drafted in my opinion. He has the skill set to expand his game further than what he’s shown thus far

He does not need that weight. He's 6'7-6'8 230-235 now. Solid length, very strong. He is a 4 in the NBA with the way it's played right now. Fast paced with the 4 man as basically a tall wing player that plays on the perimeter. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He does not need that weight. He's 6'7-6'8 230-235 now. Solid length, very strong. He is a 4 in the NBA with the way it's played right now. Fast paced with the 4 man as basically a tall wing player that plays on the perimeter. 

I have to disagree with you.  Jackson from Mich State is the ideal 4 in today’s NBA.  Length, dribbling ability, shooting ability and very athletic.  IMO, Juwan might get drafted in the late 2nd round as it stands right now.  He’s not super athletic for a 6’7” guy, and wouldn’t fare well in the paint at the NBA level.  He needs to show that he can really shoot the ball and get stronger.

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I have to disagree with you.  Jackson from Mich State is the ideal 4 in today’s NBA.  Length, dribbling ability, shooting ability and very athletic.  IMO, Juwan might get drafted in the late 2nd round as it stands right now.  He’s not super athletic for a 6’7” guy, and wouldn’t fare well in the paint at the NBA level.  He needs to show that he can really shoot the ball and get stronger.

I didn't say he was ideal. I just said his skill set, size, and ability to play bigger than he is shows him as a 4 in this NBA. He wouldn't fare overly well in the paint, you're right, he would hold his own though... but the 4s in the NBA right now aren't in the paint that much, if at all, at times. I think he is much more athletic then some think. Is Jackson more athletic than Juwan? Or is he just 3-4 in taller and longer? Hmm 

30 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Jackson is a 5 in the modern NBA. He's similar to Myles Turner. 

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have a hard time believing his body is ready for guys like Jae Crowder, Draymond Green and Paul Missap and he’s not long/explosive enough to handle guys like Porzingis, Griffin and Aldridge.

He’s going to have to put on some muscle to bang around with the first set. He may be listed at 6’8 235lbs but he looks more like 6’7 - 225lbs. In my opinion he’d be much been suited at the 3. I still think his game is simply better suited for the college game.

Archived