Armaan Franklin

35 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

As I said previously, I think he makes for a wonderful 3-year player (Soph-Sr) that can be a key contributor in time. 

Given the dearth of talent he would be around at a school like Indiana, he could really flourish as a guy who isn’t option 1A on defensive scouting reports. 

Always liked him as a prospect. We’ll see what he says tomorrow. 

I agree. I won’t be heart broken if he doesn’t commit but no matter where he goes he is going to be a contributor in a couple years.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, bryan200088 said:

I think that is the hope. Having Brooks, Ramsey, Stewart, TJD would be unreal. Although I’ve always wondered when it comes to seniors is that a bad idea to have that many elite kids there? I believe Lander is coming as well which is nice.

That 2021 in-state class is loaded with elite talent

1 minute ago, CoachSS said:

Armaan is a solid player and I can’t think of a redshirt candidate being anywhere in his lexicon given his skill set, trajectory and play-making ability. 

I don’t foresee a breakout freshman season. But, I do think he will be a very good player for IU or Purdue as he ages and grows.  

What’s your latest intel on Stewart and Ramsey? 

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

Dbm, 

Not sure I agree. I think role players, especially when they are older and have developed, are as important as a freshman or sophomore who is in his last/ only year of college basketball. 

Taking a team full of a 1-and-done’s and 5* recruits isn’t a sustainable approach. Nor is it a good one (look at Kentucky). 

That, plus everyone thought Victor was a role player.  Not saying Armaan is Victor at all, but trust what the coaches (including CoachSS) are seeing.  Armaan has already improved his game substantially from his sophomore to junior year.

10 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

That, plus everyone thought Victor was a role player.  Not saying Armaan is Victor at all, but trust what the coaches (including CoachSS) are seeing.  Armaan has already improved his game substantially from his sophomore to junior year.

People always bring up Vic but they never mention the numerous total busts Crean had.

People didn't think Justin Smith was a big deal. Now he has people counting on him. Kids like Franklin or other similar types.....bring stability to a program in years 2-4 like Coach said. No problem with a commit like that. Especially if it means we might make end roads with a coach in Indy who has always sent his talent elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

People didn't think Justin Smith was a big deal. Now he has people counting on him. Kids like Franklin or other similar types.....bring stability to a program in years 2-4 like Coach said. No problem with a commit like that. Especially if it means we might make end roads with a coach in Indy who has always sent his talent elsewhere.

I mention Justin Smith multiple times on the old board stating how he stole the show but since I’m not really well known on here people just kind of just dismissed me 

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don't want a bunch of one and dones either.  I like the Carolina approach honestly but without the cheating.  I doubt Roy has offered many guys in the 130 range ever.

I've said before that Archies strategy should be to load up on 2-4 year guys in that 30-80 range.  Occassionally take a 5 star when you can get them like Romeo and 3 stars on occasion as well.  But I'd like to see a 5 star for every one 3 star we take.

Roy took 4 players outside of the top 100 in the class of 2017. 

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits/

I will admit that I think that Franklin is very capable of being a good player for us. Hes higher ranked than Green after all and I have high hopes for Green. 

Looks like he had a horrid AAU season which probably hurt his rankings. But the sheer disparity between that and his high school stats make me wonder if he was just being used wrong. Maybe why he doesn’t want to play with Newman. 

I always said the ideal class size was 4 recruits. 1 or 2 Five stars. 1 or 2 four stars and a project Three star ok with little playing time for a year or two. 

I would never say that Franklin SHOULD redshirt but if you aren’t going to play much your first year why not?

8 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I really want Newman or Ramsey .. Feels good to get some love but bigger fish in the sea.

I wouldn’t be upset if we landed Franklin but I would be if Newman went to Purdue!

I think Newman is a much better fit.  Honestly I would've pulled the offer for Franklin and told him that we might have room in the Spring but not now.  I trust Archie though.

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think Newman is a much better fit.  Honestly I would've pulled the offer for Franklin and told him that we might have room in the Spring but not now.  I trust Archie though.

When you start pulling offers before you land 1 in the class does not look good in most people's eyes. These recruits talk to each other A LOT!!!!!!  IU coaches have burned a lot of bridges with Indiana high school coaches. Lets not start that already.  Lock the state up. 

43 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

When you start pulling offers before you land 1 in the class does not look good in most people's eyes. These recruits talk to each other A LOT!!!!!!  IU coaches have burned a lot of bridges with Indiana high school coaches. Lets not start that already.  Lock the state up. 

If I was a kid I would much rather have the offered pulled and me be able to go somewhere else where I was guaranteed playing time rather than go someplace and be recruited over and sit the bench most of my career.

19 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If I was a kid I would much rather have the offered pulled and me be able to go somewhere else where I was guaranteed playing time rather than go someplace and be recruited over and sit the bench most of my career.

They all know their situation and the players on the team. He will know his role. Otherwise every non starter and star would go to podunk U just to play. When coaches tell every kid they are a starter thats a problem but all the kids we are in on know how they will be used

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

You (as in Archie) can't claim to treat scholarships like Gold, and then begin pulling scholarships without even one person being committed in the class. That's a great way to piss off high school coaches, kids, and parents.

Archived