Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm with you, but it brings up the age old question, is one season of JHS better than four seasons of Smith?  I'd disagree with anyone who says that A is clearly better than B.

If the players are comparable I would take the 4 year players. Like it would have been better to have 4 years of Etwaun Moore over 1 year of Eric Gordon.  I see people say that getting a one and done will help your program moving forward I don't buy it unless you are UK or Duke.  How did Vanderbilt gettt Garland change the programs future.

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm with you, but it brings up the age old question, is one season of JHS better than four seasons of Smith?  I'd disagree with anyone who says that A is clearly better than B.

100%

Now... JHS for 1-2 years, plus Cupps for 4. We'rd "good" with that, right? At least on paper? 

Just now, IU Scott said:

If the players are comparable I would take the 4 year players. Like it would have been better to have 4 years of Etwaun Moore over 1 year of Eric Gordon.  I see people say that getting a one and done will help your program moving forward I don't buy it unless you are UK or Duke.  How did Vanderbilt gettt Garland change the programs future.

Ok. You can't just take every example and just apply it to this situation... they aren't all applicable. 

The only reason Smith could "sting" later on, is if, Cupps doesn't work out. If he is what we think he is... perfectly fine with Smith being a Boiler.

But again, Smith is a stud. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok. You can't just take every example and just apply it to this situation... they aren't all applicable. 

The only reason Smith could "sting" later on, is if, Cupps doesn't work out. If he is what we think he is... perfectly fine with Smith being a Boiler.

But again, Smith is a stud. 

I said we players are comparable and I don't think JHS and Smith are comparable 

15 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

I wish I could say you recruited a bunch of KL level busts but every player I’ve seen is really good 

I don’t see Cupps as an elite level prospect athletically but will admit he produces and wins.  

I think both schools have the right coach and recruiting strategy 

Yeah there's no oladipo or Ivey in these guys.  That's  my bar for elite athleticism.   

And you're right and I've said it here recently that painter recruits gigantic big guys and he doesn't mind having small guards Since those bigs will hide their flaws defensively.  I'll take Woodson's approach because I believe it puts you in the top 10 consistently.  Versus just getting in the tournament consistently which I'll take at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, FKIM01 said:

I would be absolutely fine with what I've seen so far.  With the elite players like JHS, you just have to reload faster and I think Woody is capable.

Agree. I am not 100% convinced Smith and JHS could coexist in the same recruiting class, anyway, so we might REALLY be arguing/discussing silliness. 

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I like Smith but you also have to consider who you bring in after JHS.  Dakich, fwiw, said yesterday he was told basically there was a couple of really good transfers that wanted to come to IU but Woodson wouldn't crean anyone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd say in some respects, although IIRC, he's a little longer and taller than Smith.  Size was by far the biggest negative on Smith and he's proving he's a player without having the size.

But, they're both way closer to each other, than they are JHS. Of course, he is a bit of an anomaly in that regard. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Agree. I am not 100% convinced Smith and JHS could coexist in the same recruiting class, anyway, so we might REALLY be arguing/discussing silliness. 

Agree.  I was posing the great debate of one vs. the other rather than both.  One vs. the other is very much a worthy debate and I can't say with any certainty which is better.  Smith for four years certainly looks to be a very good thing for Turdue, but if JHS jump starts an elite train of point guards at IU, I can't argue against that either.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I like Smith but you also have to consider who you bring in after JHS.  Dakich, fwiw, said yesterday he was told basically there was a couple of really good transfers that wanted to come to IU but Woodson wouldn't crean anyone. 

You're right. For sure, but... it wasn't just a JHS vs. Smith type thing. It was the "Smith isn't good enough to play at IU" thing. 

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Agree.  I was posing the great debate of one vs. the other rather than both.  One vs. the other is very much a worthy debate and I can't say with any certainty which is better.  Smith for four years certainly looks to be a very good thing for Turdue, but if JHS jump starts an elite train of point guards at IU, I can't argue against that either.

1000000% 

(not letting me like posts, currently)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He won that game for us. Great second half. 

Edey won you that game. Marquette’s guards already don’t play any sort of competent defense. You mix that with the constant sagging/swarming of Edey every time the ball got into the lane, it was mostly shooting practice for Smith. Hey played well and took what MU generously gave him but that won’t be a recipe for success against better teams, especially those who have guys who can check Edey.
I’m shocked to see how uninvolved Gillis, Furst and Kaufman have been thus far. Painter needs to get them going quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

You're right. For sure, but... it wasn't just a JHS vs. Smith type thing. It was the "Smith isn't good enough to play at IU" thing. 

Smith is “good enough” but my guess is he’d get lost on the roster much like Leal is now. When you’ve got 6 competent guys at the guard position on your team, it’s a very fine line between starter and garbage time only. 
I’d like to see a larger sample size on Smith before anointing him “Brad_Davison2.0”

4 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Smith is “good enough” but my guess is he’d get lost on the roster much like Leal is now. When you’ve got 6 competent guys at the guard position on your team, it’s a very fine line between starter and garbage time only. 
I’d like to see a larger sample size on Smith before anointing him “Brad_Davison2.0”

We do not have 6 competent ball handlers, or anywhere close to it. I don't really see any way he'd get lost on our roster after JHS left. 

Damn good chance he'd start next year. 

I'll just put this over here from a well respected HSN member that I think knows his stuff...

On 8/2/2022 at 4:30 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Do not sleep on his athleticism.  I am a big Braden Smith fan and wanted him badly but Cupps is on a different level than Smith. Not a knock at all on Braden. He will be great for PU and will probably be responsible for at least 1 dagger in the hearts of IU fans but I am very happy to have Cupps

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Damn good chance he'd start next year. 

Is he better than Bates? Galloway? Cupps? Newton? Gunn?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I think considering both ends of the floor and the importance Coach Woodson places on defense, that might be a tall order... 

Just now, IUFLA said:

I'll just put this over here from a well respected HSN member that I think knows his stuff...

Is he better than Bates? Galloway? Cupps? Newton? Gunn?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I think considering both ends of the floor and the importance Coach Woodson places on defense, that might be a tall order... 

I don't agree with Billings on his assessment. 

Better than Bates, Galloway, Newton and Gunn isn't relevant, they don't play the same position as Smith. He would just need to be better than Cupps. I think a SO Smith will be better than a FR Cupps. 

Smith can play defense just fine. Certainly doesn't have the physical capability as everyone on our roster, but too smart not to be a good defensive player by the end of his career. Cupps will get ate alive at times defensively, as well, next year. 

21 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Amen...

I want to see how he does with XJ or Chucky Hepburn in his grill...

Also like to see him guard a Tony Perkins or a  Sean McNeil first... 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Edey won you that game. Marquette’s guards already don’t play any sort of competent defense. You mix that with the constant sagging/swarming of Edey every time the ball got into the lane, it was mostly shooting practice for Smith. Hey played well and took what MU generously gave him but that won’t be a recipe for success against better teams, especially those who have guys who can check Edey.
I’m shocked to see how uninvolved Gillis, Furst and Kaufman have been thus far. Painter needs to get them going quickly. 

Please make me a list of teams that can “check” Edey?

certainly not one on one 

I think IU has as talented a front court as anyone….

Purdue might match them if TKR & Furst keep improving 

You guys are better defensively but Purdue might be serviceable 

if Edey gets in foul trouble Purdue is in trouble…,,you guys have enough options I don’t think be guy kills you 

• Like 1