Jump to content

Officiating and Free Throws


cohete15
 Share

Recommended Posts

WVU @ KU, 
WVU had 2 free throw attempts.
KU had 35 free throw attempts.
Both of them had pretty equal number of 3 point attempts.

Can we maybe get a complete officiating overhaul this offseason? That's just awful and we've seen some brutal calls/non-calls this year. Things ranging from goal-tending (multiple), to charge calls with a foot in the circle, non-foul legitimate tackles, touch fouls 8 feet beyond the arc, a 3-second call. Games where every thing is called, games where nothing is called. This is an absolute joke that it continues. Big Ten completely blowing it this year with officiating and moving up the BTT a week and out to NYC. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

WVU @ KU, 
WVU had 2 free throw attempts.
KU had 35 free throw attempts.
Both of them had pretty equal number of 3 point attempts.

Can we maybe get a complete officiating overhaul this offseason? That's just awful and we've seen some brutal calls/non-calls this year. Things ranging from goal-tending (multiple), to charge calls with a foot in the circle, non-foul legitimate tackles, touch fouls 8 feet beyond the arc, a 3-second call. Games where every thing is called, games where nothing is called. This is an absolute joke that it continues. Big Ten completely blowing it this year with officiating and moving up the BTT a week and out to NYC. 

Games where nothing is called in the first half, and then everything is called in the second half. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I asked in other thread and I'll ask here. Anyone have a theory why it's at an all time low? Doing 5-6 games per week? I've never officiated hoops but I'm assuming each official has a duty. One has the ball, one has off the ball....and the other one, what? Maybe it's just the attention bad officiating receives (today vs pre twitter/social media)?

I almost felt bad for Huggins. Which considering he never had a player graduate from Cincy is hard for my brain to comprehend feeling bad for him for anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s one thing that I will say about officiating.  I can understand missed calls, as we’re all human and no one is perfect.  With that said, I cannot understand the drastic inconsistency from game to game. As a fan and coach (if I were one), I can accept bad/inept calls if it’s going to be called both ways.  But when it’s called one way for one team and a completely different way for the other, it’s unacceptable.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The NBA has been tinkering with attempts to implement accountability. Not a real fan of the current attempt— having the League acknowledge after a game what potentially, or clearly game changing calls were missed or inaccurately made (as it doesn’t change the outcome), but it is a start towards accountability. Their errors or blatant bad calls are publicly acknowledged.

i would like to see more public accountability efforts. How that should work I’m not sure, but plenty of reasons to try.

Interesting player-ref meeting during the all star festivities -- http://www.nba.com/article/2018/02/17/nba-players-and-referees-meet-discuss-issues

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The NBA has been tinkering with attempts to implement accountability. Not a real fan of the current attempt— having the League acknowledge after a game what potentially, or clearly game changing calls were missed or inaccurately made (as it doesn’t change the outcome), but it is a start towards accountability. Their errors or blatant bad calls are publicly acknowledged.

i would like to see more public accountability efforts. How that should work I’m not sure, but plenty of reasons to try.

Interesting player-ref meeting during the all star festivities -- http://www.nba.com/article/2018/02/17/nba-players-and-referees-meet-discuss-issues

 

Yea, college basketball is a much larger pool of officials, but accountability is where it starts. 

Consistency is the main goal we would all be pretty happy with. The game will adapt to whatever form of basketball the NCAA wants. We don't need so much variability between venues, conferences and teams (ie: the Pitino style defense, the Coach K, Izzo "respect"/whining calls). 

I don't think achieving consistency would be very difficult, but does the NCAA even recognize they have a problem...excuse me...problems?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do really like the idea of refs having to answer questions. 

 

Osterman - "why'd you let the push off go but then call the reach that followed it?"

Valentine - "push off seemed minimal but the reach affected the shot"

Osterman - "do you think he would have had a better chance to play clean defense if he hadn't been pushed off his spot?"

Valentine - *turns his back to the room*

 

 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that bothers me the most is how different they call game to game. Larry Scirotto was our official yesterday. The stuff he called yesterday isn't even blowing a whistle today with Ohio St and Michigan. Either he realized how bad he was yesterday or someone got to him between Iowa City and Ann Arbor. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One thing that bothers me the most is how different they call game to game. Larry Scirotto was our official yesterday. The stuff he called yesterday isn't even blowing a whistle today with Ohio St and Michigan. Either he realized how bad he was yesterday or someone got to him between Iowa City and Ann Arbor. 

This is similar to Huggins point yesterday after the Kansas game. Each year they make a big deal of what they intend to emphasize in November and then it’s gone by the time January roles around. There are too many games where the emphasis changes from one half to the next or in response to a team grabbing momentum. 

The pet peeve that I have is teams who strategically foul more than the refs will call. MSU and Illinois come to mind...officials eventually give in and allow them to be more physical but do not reciprocate that freedom on the other end of the floor. Then, MSU will grab momentum by getting away with a few fouls or the other team having foul trouble and the dam will break in their favor.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to add one word of caution here.  Absolutely, a 35-2 advantage is just plain NUTS. BUT...after the Illinois game, several here were lamenting how officials try too hard to "even out" the game.  Obviously, exactly the opposite happened here, but did anyone watch the game?  Was West Virginia being very aggressive with a lot of bodying and hand-checking on defense yesterday?  I don't know as I didn't watch, but if the WV defense was constantly hanging all over the Kansas players, they may have deserved what they got.  Again, I don't know, which is why I earlier stated that 35-2 seems insane.  Doubt it was justified but I can't say for certain without seeing the game for myself.

If the WV defense was UWisconsin bodychecking the entire game, they may have well deserved what they got.  I detest that kind of defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why did both IU vs. UI games last 2 1/2 hrs?  No reason for a regulation time game to last more than 2 hrs!  Maybe 5-10 mins. longer at most.   Why did the officiating change in the second half of both games?

 

I think officiating has been piss poor this year.  Not just against IU, but for them as well!

Edited by Ryno6284
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm going to add one word of caution here.  Absolutely, a 35-2 advantage is just plain NUTS. BUT...after the Illinois game, several here were lamenting how officials try too hard to "even out" the game.  Obviously, exactly the opposite happened here, but did anyone watch the game?  Was West Virginia being very aggressive with a lot of bodying and hand-checking on defense yesterday?  I don't know as I didn't watch, but if the WV defense was constantly hanging all over the Kansas players, they may have deserved what they got.  Again, I don't know, which is why I earlier stated that 35-2 seems insane.  Doubt it was justified but I can't say for certain without seeing the game for myself.

If the WV defense was UWisconsin bodychecking the entire game, they may have well deserved what they got.  I detest that kind of defense.

I didn’t watch the game. And I don’t think foul totals should be equal by any means. But two Top 20 teams, and the road team gets 2 FTA?!? WVU was probably physical, but Huggins obviously felt there was a good amount of reciprocal physicality. I’m sure there was. There isn’t that much of a talent disparity  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I didn’t watch the game. And I don’t think foul totals should be equal by any means. But two Top 20 teams, and the road team gets 2 FTA?!? WVU was probably physical, but Huggins obviously felt there was a good amount of reciprocal physicality. I’m sure there was. There isn’t that much of a talent disparity.

I believe that is the likely scenario...I'm just curious how physical WVU was.  35-2 has all the earmarks of some serious home cooking, though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm going to add one word of caution here.  Absolutely, a 35-2 advantage is just plain NUTS. BUT...after the Illinois game, several here were lamenting how officials try too hard to "even out" the game.  Obviously, exactly the opposite happened here, but did anyone watch the game?  Was West Virginia being very aggressive with a lot of bodying and hand-checking on defense yesterday?  I don't know as I didn't watch, but if the WV defense was constantly hanging all over the Kansas players, they may have deserved what they got.  Again, I don't know, which is why I earlier stated that 35-2 seems insane.  Doubt it was justified but I can't say for certain without seeing the game for myself.

If the WV defense was UWisconsin bodychecking the entire game, they may have well deserved what they got.  I detest that kind of defense.

I only caught the last few minutes of the game but that is pretty much the way WVU plays all the time. That being said, even in the last few minutes I watched, KU had an advantage on calls/no calls but it wasn't anything really egregious.  

On a side note, I watched part of the WSU and Cincinnati game yesterday and at times it looked more like a cage match than a basketball game and other times the refs would go on a short spree of calling touch fouls. The whole game was called inconsistently from minute to minute. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...