Jump to content

5* PG Ashton Hagans decommits, reclassifies to 2018


cohete15
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hagans is concerned about a coaching change at UGA.   It was just last week, I reported that Crean is becoming more of an interest to the powers at UGA.  Not saying Crean is getting a job there.... however, Hagans must be aware of something going on at UGA. 

Yep, and my wife is UGA alumni. I would like to see Crean get the job down there, so I could have some ties and cheer for them as well.

That said, I would imagine Archie would give him a call considering our need at PG and 2 open scholarships. We also have 2 kids from GA on the roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Yep, and my wife is UGA alumni. I would like to see Crean get the job down there, so I could have some ties and cheer for them as well.

That said, I would imagine Archie would give him a call considering our need at PG and 2 open scholarships. We also have 2 kids from GA on the roster.

Maybe...

He already has Phinesee committed. From all reports, Rob is going to be really good for several years.

Get it that Hagans is highly regarded, but does CAM want to start out by recruiting over an in-state kid? Not sure how that would sit with the Indiana high school coaches. Given that we need to repair strained relationships caused by the last coaching regime, maybe CAM needs to look elsewhere 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Maybe...

He already has Phinesee committed. From all reports, Rob is going to be really good for several years.

Get it that Hagans is highly regarded, but does CAM want to start out by recruiting over an in-state kid? Not sure how that would sit with the Indiana high school coaches. Given that we need to repair strained relationships caused by the last coaching regime, maybe CAM needs to look elsewhere 

As much as I believe in not shutting any door, I see significant wisdom in this logic.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Maybe...

He already has Phinesee committed. From all reports, Rob is going to be really good for several years.

Get it that Hagans is highly regarded, but does CAM want to start out by recruiting over an in-state kid? Not sure how that would sit with the Indiana high school coaches. Given that we need to repair strained relationships caused by the last coaching regime, maybe CAM needs to look elsewhere 

Agreed.  No way I recruit over Phinesee.  First off, Phinesee is really good, and he's going to be at IU for 4 years.  Secondly, the in-state ramifications would be significant, as you mentioned.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get that he is a 5* but since we have a good pg coming, I think other areas would be a bigger priority for that second open scholly.  The exception would be for a 5th year or juco pg.  We have four freshman already next year, 5 if/when we land Romeo, and Race actually makes 6.  I'm not sure a 7 man freshman group is the way to go.  Getting some balance would be nice. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That was my thought as well. Archie already tried to recruit another 5* point guard following Phinisee's commitment. 

Are you sure that the recruitment of Garland didn't begin until after Rob was in the fold?

As well, I think that many/most would admit that Rob is performing better than what was anticipated upon him committing. At the time that Garland was being recruited, I don't believe that there was such a clear picture that Rob would blow up like he has his senior year.

I get it that we are playing/recruiting with the "big boys". Also think that there needs to be some common sense here. Again, given the back story of strained relationships within the state ( Romeo not even considering IU, as an example, before CAM was hired), I just don't think it would be a smart move to start out the new coaching tenure by giving coaches any reason to doubt that Archie will treat the state differently than Crean did. 

When CAM comes out and says that his intentions are "to lock down the state of Indiana" and then he recruits over an already committed Indiana kid, what kind of message is that sending? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Are you sure that the recruitment of Garland didn't begin until after Rob was in the fold?

As well, I think that many/most would admit that Rob is performing better than what was anticipated upon him committing. At the time that Garland was being recruited, I don't believe that there was such a clear picture that Rob would blow up like he has his senior year.

I get it that we are playing/recruiting with the "big boys". Also think that there needs to be some common sense here. Again, given the back story of strained relationships within the state ( Romeo not even considering IU, as an example, before CAM was hired), I just don't think it would be a smart move to start out the new coaching tenure by giving coaches any reason to doubt that Archie will treat the state differently than Crean did. 

When CAM comes out and says that his intentions are "to lock down the state of Indiana" and then he recruits over an already committed Indiana kid, what kind of message is that sending? 

 That he wants good players 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why recruit TJD when we have Forrester Moore and Thompson? 

He's an Indiana kid that is why. It would be different if he was from Georgia like Hagans. Look at Trendon Watford for example. Many on here and I believe if he was from Indiana we would prioritize him more, but instead CAM has prioritized Brooks and Davis more due to them being hometown kids. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

When CAM comes out and says that his intentions are "to lock down the state of Indiana" and then he recruits over an already committed Indiana kid, what kind of message is that sending? 

In my opinion? It sends a bad message (Indiana kids are not good enough so we are going out of state to get our starters).

Some of the same people saying it's OK today would bitch later about Indiana kids playing out of state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

In my opinion? It sends a bad message (Indiana kids are not good enough so we are going out of state to get our starters).

Some of the same people saying it's OK today would bitch later about Indiana kids playing out of state.

I wouldn't. I don't care where any of our players are from. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

He's an Indiana kid that is why. It would be different if he was from Georgia like Hagans. Look at Trendon Watford for example. Many on here and I believe if he was from Indiana we would prioritize him more, but instead CAM has prioritized Brooks and Davis more due to them being hometown kids. 

So not only do we not want the most talented players, we only prioritize the ones that are in state? I'm so confused. So we can recruit over someone as long as the guy we are recruiting over isn't from IN or if the guy we're recruiting is from IN? Can't believe what I'm reading 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

So not only do we not want the most talented players, we only prioritize the ones that are in state? I'm so confused. So we can recruit over someone as long as the guy we are recruiting over isn't from IN or if the guy we're recruiting is from IN? Can't believe what I'm reading 

I think we should always prioritize Indiana guys if the talent is close to similar like it is in the case of brooks and Davis compared to Watford. If we show the good indiana kids we are committed to signing them that will go a long way for us in the future. I mean another point we should add in here is that if Hagans does reclassify what does it say to RP that we try to rush to get him in the same class as him? I would not recruit over him in that case. If hagans doesn't reclassify to 2018 and stays 2019 then I see nothing wrong with recruiting him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

In my opinion? It sends a bad message (Indiana kids are not good enough so we are going out of state to get our starters).

Some of the same people saying it's OK today would bitch later about Indiana kids playing out of state.

A couple of years ago UNC had 3 point guards who were all top 30 players on their roster at the same time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

something no one has really mentioned and I've mentioned before. Race Thompson reclassified to this year and I've said all along what if his really good friend 5* Matthew Hurt also Reclassifies then we could save the open scholly for him.

Is there something out there indicating that Hurt may reclassify to 2018?  It's pretty late now to do so.  Of course, I think Thompson reclassified late, also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...