Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, btownqb said:

No.. it was significantly better with him, than without him. I would take 2 Hartmans on every IU team for the rest of time and we'd win a lot of games

My last post and then you can have the last word. I figured you were trapping me. Cheap ;). I’m caught in a rock and a hard place with Hartman because I played (not that well) and also have a background in data / analytics. The numbers are not good but like you say the metrics can’t quantify all the things he does. If you want to go there I’d say he’s a great locker room guy, hustles, selfless, etc. I would take a Hartman on the roster all the time but like I said I’m not sure I want him playing 22 minutes. You can get players to hustle, be good in the locker room, do the little things, while also being a threat on both ends of the court and also have athleticism.

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

My last post and then you can have the last word. I figured you were trapping me. Cheap ;). I’m caught in a rock and a hard place with Hartman because I played (not that well) and also have a background in data / analytics. The numbers are not good but like you say the metrics can’t quantify all the things he does. If you want to go there I’d say he’s a great locker room guy, hustles, selfless, etc. I would take a Hartman on the roster all the time but like I said I’m not sure I want him playing 22 minutes. You can get players to hustle, be good in the locker room, do the little things, while also being a threat on both ends of the court and also have athleticism.

But what I'm saying is he had all of those. We will just have to agree to disagree. 

21 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I guess this last sentence is what I don’t get.  Yeah, we’re coming off two bad seasons, and the team was up and down under Crean, but it’s not like we’ve been some scrub program for the last decade.  We’ve had three decent tournament runs and two conference championships over the last seven seasons.  We’ve beaten a ton of top 5/blueblood teams over that time period.  And now we have a guy who is pretty much unanimously viewed as a good young coach, we should bring back a CPOY-candidate senior, and we’re bringing in the best recruit in the conference by far.

That compares favorably to plenty of teams that get more respect than we do.  How is a team like friggin Vanderbilt getting mentioned as a national championship contender with two recruits and no one else, but IU “might get back to the tournament next year”?

I agree with this 100%. It is unfortunate that we won't get to play Vandy next year, we would beat them by 20+.

2 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I am a eye test guy and I don't care about metrics because they can judge everything.  I will take guys that know how to win and do the little things that help you win games and metrics can't judge those things.  Metrics can't judge team chemistry and how players play together as a unit.

19 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I too would love to have 2 hartmans.  Take up a scholarship for 4 or 5 years, only play roughly 2 years total and completely underachieve.  But hey, they have hustle and leadership.

wow. 6th man on a big ten championship team would suck lol 

this is honestly an unbelievable comment 

An example on how players playing their roles help teams win is the mid 90's Pacers.  In the early 90's they had Miller, Person and Schremphf all great scorers but played no defense.  That team was lucky to make the playoffs or they got beat in the first round.  They brought in Larry Brown and the first thing they did was trade Schremphf for McKey who was not a big scorer but a great defensive guy and a good passer.  They also got the Davis brothers who were about defense and rebounding and those teams went to the eastern conference finals 6 times.

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am a eye test guy and I don't care about metrics because they can judge everything.  I will take guys that know how to win and do the little things that help you win games and metrics can't judge those things.  Metrics can't judge team chemistry and how players play together as a unit.

I’m an eye test guy as well. I try to factor everything. That year that bbq keeps talking about had 6 nba quality players. To act like Collin Hartman played any significant part of that title team is just silly. What did that eye test tell you when he was constantly beaten off the dribble and always in foul trouble? If Collin Hartman was black kid for Arizona and not a good looking clean cut kid from Indiana then he wouldn’t be adored the way he is.

10 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I’m an eye test guy as well. I try to factor everything. That year that bbq keeps talking about had 6 nba quality players. To act like Collin Hartman played any significant part of that title team is just silly. What did that eye test tell you when he was constantly beaten off the dribble and always in foul trouble? If Collin Hartman was black kid for Arizona and not a good looking clean cut kid from Indiana then he wouldn’t be adored the way he is.

He started every game but two for the entire conference season and tournament series... If that’s not playing a significant part on that team, nothing is.

11 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Ridiculous post. He played 22 mins a game on that team... and was complimented CONSTANTLY by other coaches. Mick Cronin (a coach of a team we didn't even play) wanted to know where you get a player like CH. The race comment was absolutely bogus. Kid was mauled by injuries and played the end of that season with a wrist that required surgery. Tough as nails. I still can't believe this honestly. 

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He started every game but two for the entire conference season and tournament series... If that’s not playing a significant part on that team, nothing is.

If you want to take the point literally then absolutely. In my eyes he was the most frustrating player and part of the reason we didn’t go as far as we did. I factor everything. When Troy was getting stick, Collin was the one frustrating the hell out of me. What did he add that was so valuable? He was non existent on offense. His rebounding percentages were awful. He was in foul trouble. He rarely got any steals. He could swing the ball and set a mean screen though?

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

If you want to take the point literally then absolutely. In my eyes he was the most frustrating player and part of the reason we didn’t go as far as we did. I factor everything. When Troy was getting stick, Collin was the one frustrating the hell out of me. What did he add that was so valuable? He was non existent on offense. His rebounding percentages were awful. He was in foul trouble. He rarely got any steals. He could swing the ball and set a mean screen though?

Have you ever coached basketball? 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Ridiculous post. He played 22 mins a game on that team... and was complimented CONSTANTLY by other coaches. Mick Cronin (a coach of a team we didn't even play) wanted to know where you get a player like CH. The race comment was absolutely bogus. Kid was mauled by injuries and played the end of that season with a wrist that required surgery. Tough as nails. I still can't believe this honestly. 

Off course Mick Cronin would compliment him. That guy is insane. Did a Blackmon get any pass for his knee issues? It wasn’t bogus at all. 

4 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Off course Mick Cronin would compliment him. That guy is insane. Did a Blackmon get any pass for his knee issues? It wasn’t bogus at all. 

He also wins basketball games. 

And I didn't mind Blackmon as much as many did. I was more frustrated with his awareness and positioning then anything else. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What are you even talking about at this point 

What are you even talking about with that coach comment? You took a pot shot at me and you know you did. Sometimes my ideas don’t line up with many posters on here and that’s fine. I didn’t rate him, others do. That’s fine. 

Just now, ADegenerate said:

What are you even talking about with that coach comment? You took a pot shot at me and you know you did. Sometimes my ideas don’t line up with many posters on here and that’s fine. I didn’t rate him, others do. That’s fine. 

No... I didn't take a pot shot at you, I asked you a question. If you took it that way, sorry I guess. But, it was a legitimate question because if you had coached or currently coach, then you would understand CH value and we wouldn't be having this discussion. It wasn't a shot at you at all. 

Archived