Romeo Langford

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Even once my agent got his 20%, I could more than make do with $13M.  As for the rest, that's on that person.  No rule that says you HAVE to take care of everyone around you.  I think most people would want to take care of parents, grandparents, siblings, close mentors, etc.  But, there's taking care of and there's "taking care of".  Pay off/buy them a decent home and a decent car.  Everyone around you doesn't NEED a new BMW. 

If you haven't watched the 30 for 30 Broke then I suggest that you do because you will see how many former athletes are broke.  When we talk about these kids not being ready for the NBA it doesn't have to do with how they will adjust to on the court but off the court.  Unless they have good role model or guidance a 19 old on his own with all of that money and free time a lot of bad things can happen.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you haven't watched the 30 for 30 Broke then I suggest that you do because you will see how many former athletes are broke.  When we talk about these kids not being ready for the NBA it doesn't have to do with how they will adjust to on the court but off the court.  Unless they have good role model or guidance a 19 old on his own with all of that money and free time a lot of bad things can happen.

Have seen it.  I'm not saying it can't happen, but it doesn't have to happen either. 

42 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Have seen it.  I'm not saying it can't happen, but it doesn't have to happen either. 

A lot of athletes have at least part of their money metered out to them from annuities that essentially send them pension payments each month for life.  As long as J. G. Wentworth ("It's my money and I want it NOW!!!") doesn't get his claws into them, there's no reason for them to be broke, but yes...it does happen.  Bad habits and terrible advice.  You can't save some people from themselves, but Romeo seems smarter than that.

Aright, couple things. 

First off, I missed a couple players 3 point stats in the draft. As you can see from the time stamp, it was the middle of the night and I was tired. However, seeing as those players 3pt% stats were even better than I said, it does show how much of a difference there is between them and him 3pt wise. 

I do think that Romeo needs to show a much better 3 pt shot, but I think that’s easily doable with a good summer from him. Frankly I’d rather see him improve it in  an IU jersey next year vs in NBA in whatever capacity he falls into. The thought of him, Brooks, TJD, and Rob.... damn. I’m not trying to trash the guy, but I’d hate to see him come out too early and not be ready. It’ll hurt his career, and it’ll reflect poorly on IU. I want him to be successful in the pros.

Lastly, Fultz was a bust. Yes he was number 1, yes he made money.... but when you’re the number 1 pick... there comes expectations, and you’re compared to everyone else behind you. I don’t think there are many people that would talk about how great Fultz was. There were multiple players behind him that had better seasons. The fact that the 76ers gave up on him is interesting. Yes he has plenty of time to turn his career around... but as it stands, he’s a bust. 

9 minutes ago, SeeYa@roys said:

I do think that Romeo needs to show a much better 3 pt shot, but I think that’s easily doable with a good summer from him. Frankly I’d rather see him improve it in  an IU jersey next year vs in NBA in whatever capacity he falls into. The thought of him, Brooks, TJD, and Rob.... damn. I’m not trying to trash the guy, but I’d hate to see him come out too early and not be ready. It’ll hurt his career, and it’ll reflect poorly on IU. I want him to be successful in the pros.

Focus is always on recruits.  How about the thought of Romeo and Rob with a year of experience under their belts, a healthy DeRon, a healthy Race, a healthy Jerome, a full year of Good Justin, a full year of Good Devonte, plus TJD and Brooks?

Only 3 words needed to describe that.  De. Li. Shus.  I'm through....

hqdefault.jpg

11 minutes ago, SeeYa@roys said:

Aright, couple things. 

First off, I missed a couple players 3 point stats in the draft. As you can see from the time stamp, it was the middle of the night and I was tired. However, seeing as those players 3pt% stats were even better than I said, it does show how much of a difference there is between them and him 3pt wise. 

Lastly, Fultz was a bust. Yes he was number 1, yes he made money.... but when you’re the number 1 pick... there comes expectations, and you’re compared to everyone else behind you. I don’t think there are many people that would talk about how great Fultz was. There were multiple players behind him that had better seasons. The fact that the 76ers gave up on him is interesting. Yes he has plenty of time to turn his career around... but as it stands, he’s a bust. 

And the goal posts move.

You are the one that posted what you did.  You miss the point...it doesn't matter whether you are a bust or not.  There is millions of dollars that await.  It is not rocket science...heck it is common sense.

34 minutes ago, rico said:

And the goal posts move.

You are the one that posted what you did.  You miss the point...it doesn't matter whether you are a bust or not.  There is millions of dollars that await.  It is not rocket science...heck it is common sense.

Rico, I understand healthy debate and maybe I'm reading you wrong, but so often, your posts read pretty combative to me.

Just an observation...

23 minutes ago, rico said:

And the goal posts move.

Goal post hasn’t moved at all. Langford shot 27% from beyond the arc this year, that’s not good. The examples I used were other players’ 3pt shooting... and they were actually even better than I wrote. That shows an even wider gap... that’s a bad thing for Romeo, not a good thing. He’s a shooting guard that isn’t hitting shots. I’ve said that repeatedly. 

As for the money... I think you’re missing the point. He started the season ranked 3rd and in some mocks he’s as low as 14 now. Scouts have said commented that his perimeter shooting is a concern. Accordingly to the NBA 2018-2019 rookie pay scale, that’s a 14 million dollar drop. If he takes one more season to work on his shooting, that’s potentially worth 14 million more to him. THAT is a TON of money to leave on the table.

I’d like for him to make tons of money in the NBA and have a bright and long career there. That’s good for him and good for IU. He needs one more offseason to work on his perimeter shooting.

Just now, SeeYa@roys said:

Goal post hasn’t moved at all. Langford shot 27% from beyond the arc this year, that’s not good. The examples I used were other players’ 3pt shooting... and they were actually even better than I wrote. That shows an even wider gap... that’s a bad thing for Romeo, not a good thing. He’s a shooting guard that isn’t hitting shots. I’ve said that repeatedly. 

As for the money... I think you’re missing the point. He started the season ranked 3rd and in some mocks he’s as low as 14 now. Scouts have said commented that his perimeter shooting is a concern. Accordingly to the NBA 2018-2019 rookie pay scale, that’s a 14 million dollar drop. If he takes one more season to work on his shooting, that’s potentially worth 14 million more to him. THAT is a TON of money to leave on the table.

I’d like for him to make tons of money in the NBA and have a bright and long career there. That’s good for him and good for IU. He needs one more offseason to work on his perimeter shooting.

And to clarify, the 14 million is the first four years of the contract.... the diff between 3rd and 14th.

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Only the first two year of a rookie contract are guaranteed. The 3rd and 4th year are team options.

True, still though.. assuming they get picked up... lot of money on the table.

call me selfish, but I’d rather see him stay an extra year and shoot the lights out.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Rico, I understand healthy debate and maybe I'm reading you wrong, but so often, your posts read pretty combative to me.

Just an observation...

Understood...sometimes what is on my mind doesn't come across well in type.  I will work on that.  

9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Focus is always on recruits.  How about the thought of Romeo and Rob with a year of experience under their belts, a healthy DeRon, a healthy Race, a healthy Jerome, a full year of Good Justin, a full year of Good Devonte, plus TJD and Brooks?

Only 3 words needed to describe that.  De. Li. Shus.  I'm through....

hqdefault.jpg

Amen, but young adults ALWAYS run for the money even if playing in a “G” league for a yr or two.  Doesn’t make sense just like Cody left a yr early or Noah Von bolting after one yr.  Both didn’t contribute to respective teams for a cple yrs at least.  What’s diff developing in a boring league with no exposure or finishing what you started and playing in front of a racuos crowd?  I swear if I had that choice it would be no question because pro life becomes just a job vs staying in school and making memories that will last a lifetime.  The NBA is sooo boring and don’t quite get the rush, start what you finish.  Only IF

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

https://assemblycall.com/open-letter-to-romeo-langford/

You're going to want to read this

That was a great letter...I think it was only a small faction of fans that turned on the team and on Romeo. 

As far as him staying for another year goes, if he gets the indication he's a lottery pick, he SHOULD go. Put $10 + million in front of some of the people who say he's "selfish" or "needs to work on his game" and see what they'd do.

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

https://assemblycall.com/open-letter-to-romeo-langford/

You're going to want to read this

Great letter. Poise and character -- those two words for me sum Romeo up well. Poise in handling the weight of expectation. Poise and character through adversity. Character in his selfless interactions with the fans. Character in the way he contributes as a team-first player. Character and poise in commitment to the team and finding the path to winning again. Great kid, all around.

Nice article, very heartfelt. 

I think people blow social media out of proportion.  I follow media folks on twitter but I don’t read the rif-raf.  How many of them are even real profiles?  Keep that in mind.  They can be trolls from other schools.  Overall, Romeo is well recognized by the overwhelming majority of the fans.  A few outliers on social media, who may not even be real IU fans, couldn’t be more irrelevant. 

It’s doing the program a disservice to pretend that these folks matter.  

Something I've never considered before.....

A lot has been made of the existing friendship between Brooks and TJD and how that may influence Brooks' choice.  In looking back at that quote about Rob and Romeo, we often forget about the "normal" (aka off-court) parts of their lives.  These guys obviously see plenty of each other, but we forget about things like having classes together.  Given how quickly they gelled on the court, and how they appear to have similar personalities and get along off the court as well, one has to wonder if Rob could be a little bit of an influence on Romeo making an encore.  Just one little "C'mon man....one more..."....

For as much as so many kids of Romeo's generation get painted as narcissistic, spoiled, what have you, there cannot be enough good written about Romeo. Especially in the environment where elite level athletes seem to be spoon-fed their every need, it is so refreshing to read about both of these guys and how they come across as humble and respectful.

Regardless of how their basketball careers end up playing out, I feel like both Romeo and Rob are going to be wildly successful in whatever paths their lives take them.

Archived