Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

On 8/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, Hoosierinbham said:

This is great. My dad used to leave the sports section of the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette by my cereal bowl before he left for work. At one point I could tell you every basketball state champ, Mr. Basketball,  Indy winner, Heisman trophy winner,  etc. Had local and state info so you could keep up with potential recruits. Terrific memories. 

Don't know if you are old enough to remember this....Peter Eckrich company in Ft. Wayne used to print out and publish brackets for the 1 class basketball tournament, once the Sectionals were over and it got to a field of 64.Where I participated, you didn't fill out a bracket, but instead bet a few dollars and were randomly assigned a team. I remember throughout the late 60's and into the 70's having spent a few bucks and usually getting teams that I had never heard of -at least back then. I always wanted to get either the Cloverdale Clovers or Loogotee (sp?) . Don't think I ever won.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Don't know if you are old enough to remember this....Peter Eckrich company in Ft. Wayne used to print out and publish brackets for the 1 class basketball tournament, once the Sectionals were over and it got to a field of 64.Where I participated, you didn't fill out a bracket, but instead bet a few dollars and were randomly assigned a team. I remember throughout the late 60's and into the 70's having spent a few bucks and usually getting teams that I had never heard of -at least back then. I always wanted to get either the Cloverdale Clovers or Loogotee (sp?) . Don't think I ever won.

I don't remember that, but love the Fort Wayne history. Born in 75.

Wasn't Eckrich the company that had meats? Eckrich farms maybe?

19 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I don't remember that, but love the Fort Wayne history. Born in 75.

Wasn't Eckrich the company that had meats? Eckrich farms maybe?

Yep, Peter Eckrich meats. The factory was just off Main St on the near West side. They shut down I believe in the 80’s, but someone bought the brand name because you can still find Eckrich meats up here 

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Anthony Leal is a Michigan fan...?

Yes.  At his press conference, he will be sitting at a table with IU and Stanford caps on it.  He will reach out with both hands and pick up both caps.  All of the sudden , Hail to the Victors' will blare over the sound system.  Anthony will throw down both caps and rip off his shirt, showing the world the tatoo of Tom Brady's face that adorns his chest.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  At his press conference, he will be sitting at a table with IU and Stanford caps on it.  He will reach out with both hands and pick up both caps.  All of the sudden , Hail to the Victors' will blare over the sound system.  Anthony will throw down both caps and rip off his shirt, showing the world the tatoo of Tom Brady's face that adorns his chest.

Image result for tom brady left hanging gif

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I heard Jim Harbaugh is going to run Thur press conference waving the Michigan flag while Hail to the Victors is playing ....:coffee:

13 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Someone on Twitter replied to @CoachSS's tweet and said a source close to the family confirmed he is picking Stanford.

Not saying he's right or wrong, but I don't believe anything has been said or leaked indicating that to be the case, right?

Stanford or IU. It's not right to steel a kid's thunder. Irresponsible.

24 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Someone on Twitter replied to @CoachSS's tweet and said a source close to the family confirmed he is picking Stanford.

Not saying he's right or wrong, but I don't believe anything has been said or leaked indicating that to be the case, right?

Saw that. Usually I dismiss but he's followed by some bigger accounts and has a history of some good IU stuff. Hope it's not true. Might be the reason (as we've discussed) for the extra 20 offers Archie's extended over the past month or so. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw that. Usually I dismiss but he's followed by some bigger accounts and has a history of some good IU stuff. Hope it's not true. Might be the reason (as we've discussed) for the extra 20 offers Archie's extended over the past month or so. 

Would be a tough blow just because he's right in your backyard although with the plethora of talent in next years class, there is some room for error. I didn't have huge expectations for a freshman Leal but he could be a costly miss down the road if IU fails to land some key 2021 in-state talent.  

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not that it matters in anyway, but I did see right after it came out he was announcing Evan Daniels logged a crystal ball pick for us. So there’s that. 

4 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Not that it matters in anyway, but I did see right after it came out he was announcing Evan Daniels logged a crystal ball pick for us. So there’s that. 

That's the tough one. Daniels usually waits to guarantee time. We'll see. I'll cover both sides of the conversation. Would welcome a kid like this at IU all day long. If we miss...it's simply not a good look. Same way it wasn't a good look when Archie came in for RP and Damezi from Painter in less than 90 days.

Archived