Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In comparison caleb love is 27 of 81 from three this year 33%. Not going to spread the floor with this guy's shooting. Probably a better defender but can't balance the offense. The inside out touch the paint first doesn't work if you don't have plenty of players that can HIT the outside shot.

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

What does ever recruited mean?  I know Archie and the other coaches have been to his games.

Does watching him constitute recruited?   This has to be a pretty gray area.  Also think it was reported his dad works on campus.  Do staff kids still get free tuition or was that a myth? 

I'm mostly joking but between jalen Blackmon,  the kid scoring 38 a game, and the hometown kid who's dad works on campus and has wanted to be a Hoosier his entire life, eventually some kid is going to walk on if they don't get a scholarship offer.  If they were ever recruited by iu they are not allowed to be on the team and receive academic scholarship(possibly other scholarship?), at least that's what we have always been told.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Does watching him constitute recruited?   This has to be a pretty gray area.  Also think it was reported his dad works on campus.  Do staff kids still get free tuition or was that a myth? 

I'm mostly joking but between jalen Blackmon,  the kid scoring 38 a game, and the hometown kid who's dad works on campus and has wanted to be a Hoosier his entire life, eventually some kid is going to walk on if they don't get a scholarship offer.  If they were ever recruited by iu they are not allowed to be on the team and receive academic scholarship(possibly other scholarship?), at least that's what we have always been told.  

What would make anyone think these kids who will have other offers especially Leal would come to IU as a walk on

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Remember,  you can't walk on if you were ever recruited.   

Not sure that is 100% accurate. That is true,  if one has gained an academic scholarship, they cannot walk on if they have ever been recruited.  Aside from that, one that has been recruited can walk on.... and two types of walkons if recruited.  One, is the preferred walk on, who is told  a coach he/she will be guaranteed a spot, if they choose to walk on.  And then there is the regular walk on, who might have been recruited at one time, never offered a scholarship, or a coach did not offer preferred walk on status.... and simply walks on. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What would make anyone think these kids who will have other offers especially Leal would come to IU as a walk on

Haven't you been clamoring for him to get a scholarship offer because of 1 he dreamed of playing for IU 2 he's a HomeTown Kid 3 he can shoot the ball?  Maybe you weren't in that group but there's been plenty.

If it is true that his dad works for the University then he could possibly get free tuition therefore walk-on. 

Just realized your post said any of these kids. Blackmon would be a triple Legacy. how is that so difficult to figure out why he would walk on his brother already is a walk-on.  

The kids scoring 38 I have no clue about him but I'm pretty sure somebody said he would take an IU offer in a heartbeat whether or not he could afford to walk on no clue

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Haven't you been clamoring for him to get a scholarship offer because of 1 he dreamed of playing for IU 2 he's a HomeTown Kid 3 he can shoot the ball?  Maybe you weren't in that group but there's been plenty.

If it is true that his dad works for the University then he could possibly get free tuition therefore walk-on

True.  Plus there have been incidents at IU and other schools where kids have gotten scholarship offers to a school, but chose to walk on at a school not offering a scholarship.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

IU Tuition Benefit

It looks like anyone employed by IU is eligible to have their children attend for 50% tuition.  Obviously room and board are big expenses, too.

13 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

If it is true that his dad works for the University then he could possibly get free tuition therefore walk-on. 

Just realized your post said any of these kids. Blackmon would be a triple Legacy. how is that so difficult to figure out why he would walk on his brother already is a walk-on.  

The kids scoring 38 I have no clue about him but I'm pretty sure somebody said he would take an IU offer in a heartbeat whether or not he could afford to walk on no clue

Yes I grew up in the 70's wanting to play for IU but if I could get a scholarship ands not have to pay for school and still play D1 ball I would take the scholarship.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes I grew up in the 70's wanting to play for IU but if I could get a scholarship ands not have to pay for school and still play D1 ball I would take the scholarship.

I get it I'm practical too Buddy. But that doesn't change that there's family history for at least two of these players, one of them might even get half tuition off. Do I think it's going to happen? no. But it's a chat board and it's fun to talk about and joke about.

16 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I get it I'm practical too Buddy. But that doesn't change that there's family history for at least two of these players, one of them might even get half tuition off. Do I think it's going to happen? no. But it's a chat board and it's fun to talk about and joke about.

If leal can get that help since his family member works there I can see it.

I have no inside info here but let me state the obvious. Leal is a 4 star recruit, consensus top 100 player, has offers from multiple Big Ten schools as well as Butler, Xavier, Stanford. He is not going to be a walk on at IU.

Kid keeps shooting up the rankings, just seems like he's going to get an offer eventually. 

44 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I have no inside info here but let me state the obvious. Leal is a 4 star recruit, consensus top 100 player, has offers from multiple Big Ten schools as well as Butler, Xavier, Stanford. He is not going to be a walk on at IU.

Kid keeps shooting up the rankings, just seems like he's going to get an offer eventually. 

Hey Archie.  Enough talk about locking up the  Indiana borders.  Time to lock up the B-town city boundaries !

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

McRoberts left a scholarship at Vermont to walk on at IU

True. And, additionally,  I believe three scholarship players, including Doug McDermott gave up their scholarships for walk on players to become scholarship players at Creighton.

Indiana is in a great position with this young man. Clear IU lean. He doesn’t appear to be on the brink of a commitment. Clearly there’s mutual interest between coaching staff and player (both have attended games). Not sure why fans are so antsy  

CTC offered kids WAY too early and due to his generous offers to every top 50 player, an IU offer stopped meaning as much! Now we have a coach who emphasizes  the importance of an IU offer and everyone seems to be up in arms. 

Gut feeling he will end up being a Hoosier. 

I'll happily come back to this thread and eat crow if I'm wrong.

For context Leal is currently ranked #78 in the 247 composite, if he stays there he would be a higher rated recruit than Franklin, Phinisee, Anderson, Forrester, Thompson, Moore, and Durham. Of his prospective teammates at IU only Hunter, TJD, and hopefully Brooks were rated higher. Smith was incidentally also #78.

11 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I'll happily come back to this thread and eat crow if I'm wrong.

For context Leal is currently ranked #78 in the 247 composite, if he stays there he would be a higher rated recruit than Franklin, Phinisee, Anderson, Forrester, Thompson, Moore, and Durham. Of his prospective teammates at IU only Hunter, TJD, and hopefully Brooks were rated higher. Smith was incidentally also #78.

Good stuff.  Thanks for the comparison. 

5 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

Indiana is in a great position with this young man. Clear IU lean. He doesn’t appear to be on the brink of a commitment. Clearly there’s mutual interest between coaching staff and player (both have attended games). Not sure why fans are so antsy  

CTC offered kids WAY too early and due to his generous offers to every top 50 player, an IU offer stopped meaning as much! Now we have a coach who emphasizes  the importance of an IU offer and everyone seems to be up in arms. 

Gut feeling he will end up being a Hoosier. 

This.

Offers will be made early to sure fire 5 star guys but Archie's approach after that is let's make an IU offer mean something again. I applaud that approach.

Archived