FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

I don't remember that exact quote, but he alluded to dirty coaches on several occasions over the years. That is probably one of the reasons he wasn't very popular with other college coaches and even with AAU coaches/handlers. I doubt he will name names as long as he still has any interest in coaching again. 

He'll name names if a grand jury is impaneled and he's subpoenaed to testify. I can see that happening here. Hell's bells, there might be a grand jury already.

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If the FBI can find the large paper trail look out. The good thing is College Basketball season opens tomorrow.

I  think their best source for the information will be the shoe companies. Easier to focus on 2-3 companies versus a hundred schools. There should be some accounting paper trail or these companies could be further exposed to SEC violations. I wouldn't want to be their tax auditor or CFO.  Would Nike just come clean and say who they paid and send these coaches down the river? That's not good for business. Obstructing the FBI and opening the company up to further violations isn't a good choice either. Let's see what type of ethics these shoes companies have and what pressure is brought against them. 

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I  think their best source for the information will be the shoe companies. Easier to focus on 2-3 companies versus a hundred schools. There should be some accounting paper trail or these companies could be further exposed to SEC violations. I wouldn't want to be their tax auditor or CFO.  Would Nike just come clean and say who they paid and send these coaches down the river? That's not good for business. Obstructing the FBI and opening the company up to further violations isn't a good choice either. Let's see what type of ethics these shoes companies have and what pressure is brought against them. 

Good points. 

This may sound naive, but could a shoe company have legally paid players and agents?  Ignoring any NCAA rules, if they gave money as part of doing business and reported it properly, do they have any legal responsibilities to inform the NCAA or schools?  I guess the FBI is involved because of money laundering and wire fraud (as well as investment shenanigans) and not necessarily for simply cheating on the recruiting trail.  I ask because I am not a business person and honestly don't know all the in's and out's.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Herm is all over it.

I have plenty of arguments with fans who wanted to win  at any cost.  I hope and pray IU is not involved in this because I want IU to be above this.  I hated when some of our fans wanted to play the game in the gray area and now we see why because this is terrible for college basketball.

24 minutes ago, Indykev said:

You can guess who.

From the guy who lobbied for years to name the Court at Assembly Hall after Bobby Knight.... till he finally learned it was already named after Branch McCracken !

Oh, by the way, Dick.  Check the UL fanboards.... the last person they want, is Tom Crean.

9 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Good points. 

This may sound naive, but could a shoe company have legally paid players and agents?  Ignoring any NCAA rules, if they gave money as part of doing business and reported it properly, do they have any legal responsibilities to inform the NCAA or schools?  I guess the FBI is involved because of money laundering and wire fraud (as well as investment shenanigans) and not necessarily for simply cheating on the recruiting trail.  I ask because I am not a business person and honestly don't know all the in's and out's.

Yesterday on ESPN, outside the lines did a special on this and Jay Williams who worked for an an agency said the shoe companies would put money into a fund for the players and once they left college and signed with that agency they would get the money. 

58 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Pat Forde saying he talked to a coach who thinks a 100 coaches will be caught up in this before its over. I don't think my popcorn bag is big enough.

Wonder if he got this info from DD because on his show yesterday that was the exact number he stated, by the way Forde was on his show as well.

4 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

Yesterday on ESPN, outside the lines did a special on this and Jay Williams who worked for an an agency said the shoe companies would put money into a fund for the players and once they left college and signed with that agency they would get the money. 

I dont see to much wrong with that. Players are allow to talk with agents just not sign. Thats way different from paying them to go to a school.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

From the guy who lobbied for years to name the Court at Assembly Hall after Bobby Knight.... till he finally learned it was already named after Branch McCracken !

Oh, by the way, Dick.  Check the UL fanboards.... the last person they want, is Tom Crean.

A lot of media people are saying Crean.

33 minutes ago, Mac said:

He'll name names if a grand jury is impaneled and he's subpoenaed to testify. I can see that happening here. Hell's bells, there might be a grand jury already.

That is likely a stretch considering his testimony would only be hearsay unless he has some actual evidence. Suspecting/knowing the competition is dirty is one thing, providing proof of it is another. 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I would have guessed Dickie V would have said RMK!!! :coffee: (its' morning and I got to use the coffee emoji!)

All of a sudden, Golic and "Greenie" have become experts on college basketball..... announcing the FBI probe has now ensnared Nike.  My gosh, where have they been all these years.

And for that matter.  CBS with breaking news.... after the fact.  Why were they not on the cutting edge of this in year's past.  Specially since they own both Scout and 247.  I guess CBS does not read their own fan boards.  Fans who have known about this for literally decades.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Things that I feel needs to be done to clean college basketball up.

NCAA needs to run summer basketball with no shoe companies

Need to get rid of individual school contracts with shoe companies

NBA to get rid of the one and done rule and go tot he baseball rule

AAu needs to go away. It will if shoe companies are banned because they pay every travel team to wear their shoes and clothing.

Shoe money carries a lot of schools budgets.

Just let kids go straight to the NBA.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

All of a sudden, Golic and "Greenie" have become experts on college basketball..... announcing the FBI probe has now ensnared Nike.  My gosh, where have they been all these years.

And for that matter.  CBS with breaking news.... after the fact.  Why were they not on the cutting edge of this in year's past.  Specially since they own both Scout and 247.  I guess CBS does not read their own fan boards.  Fans who have known about this for literally decades.

Yes Nike grass roots was raided yesterday, I posted that this morning. And the 2 Mike arent experts on much. lol

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Just let kids go straight to the NBA.

As I posted, much earlier in this epic thread....I hold the NBA complicit in this whole sordid affair, with their insistence on their one and done rule.

The NBA talked about getting rid of the OAD rule earlier this year.  It was just lip service.  Money rules and ruled the day.

This needs to blow up in their face as well.

Archived