Trivia

rico

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Yes.  Bird and Fox are two.

Knew it. Had to be some dude that was an off the bench guy. I'm really struggling for the last one. It's either going to be a guy from the 70's or a guy who played one year at Roosevelt and never considered him an Indiana kid to begin with. haha.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Geez, I can't believe I forgot him...fellow Terre Hautian...

Terre Haute Garfield grad Clyde Lovellette...as I said, my cousin played in the Final 4 for Garfield in 63...

Those are the three....well done gents.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

On this day in history Joe Nuxhall made his debut as a pitcher at 15 years old. It would be 8 years before he would pitch another game in the MLB. that is not the longest time between appearances.  Who has the record for longest time between appearances in the MLB?

Jim Bouton?

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

On this day in history Joe Nuxhall made his debut as a pitcher at 15 years old. It would be 8 years before he would pitch another game in the MLB. that is not the longest time between appearances.  Who has the record for longest time between appearances in the MLB?

Was he a Yankee?

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Roy Hobbs? Or assuming war related.

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

To go that long I'm guessing military service had something to do with the long pause.

I am thinking it was a guy that was on a coaching staff and came in for mop up.  Seems I have heard the story but can't put my finger on it, just remember it seemed to be a Yankee.  ????

1 hour ago, rico said:

I am thinking it was a guy that was on a coaching staff and came in for mop up.  Seems I have heard the story but can't put my finger on it, just remember it seemed to be a Yankee.  ????

I cheated, 😝 You would be correct! I love this quote “The pitching mound during batting practice isn’t the safest place to be, but I wouldn’t trade places with the President of the United States.”

His game before the long hiatus was with the NL’s Brooklyn Robins? Never knew that, I always remember the Dodgers! 

Edited by Drroogh

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Would never have gotten it.  What is the full story behind it?

My recollection is he was in his early 20's had some bad outings and later suffered a shoulder injury spent many years playing semi pro and then became pitching coach for Yankees. With the Yanks out of the pennant race and a smaller roster due to WWII Paul made a late game appearance in a game. At least that is how I heard the story

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

If the MLB cannot reach a deal and they do not play any games. (100% unlikely IMO) who would be the highest paid player for the 2020 season?

Haha. I think we were talking about this earlier or in another thread. Would be so funny if it played out that way. 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

In another thread but I dont think its who you are thinking.  It's not Bobby Bonilla but you are on the right track

So if it's not him....that eliminates Sutter too. Has to be someone recent that I just didn't know about having that in his contract.