Trivia

rico

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Who was the first AL player to record 3,000 hits and 400 HR's?

Ruth, Gehrig, and Williams didn't have the 3,000 hits (although Williams definitely would have if not for 2 wars) and of course guys like Cobb and Speaker didn't have the HRs...

So my first swipe would be Yaz...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ruth, Gehrig, and Williams didn't have the 3,000 hits (although Williams definitely would have if not for 2 wars) and of course guys like Cobb and Speaker didn't have the HRs...

So my first swipe would be Yaz...

Yo da man!  It is indeed Yaz.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Yo da man!  It is indeed Yaz.

Back when I really followed baseball closely and knew every stat there wasn't a whole helluva lot of guys that had the 400 HRs... 

The steroid era made it a little harder to pare down the field on questions like that...Thome and Griffey Jr not withstanding...

Those 2 got cheated as in that whole mess as well...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

All my Red fan friends hated him because of the 1970 WS...

That's probably first time I heard of him was listening to that series on a record.  My Dad had lots of the playoffs on vinyl and I remember how great he was according to the announcers. Dont remember 1st time seeing him play . 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Here is an odd one.

There are 2 guys in MLB history that have had 3 40+ HR seasons but yet never hit between 30-39 HR's in a season.  Both have won HR titles and both played 15+years in the league.  Name the 2.

Kiner and Schmidt?

Edited by IUFLA

1 hour ago, rico said:

Here is an odd one.

There are 2 guys in MLB history that have had 3 40+ HR seasons but yet never hit between 30-39 HR's in a season.  Both have won HR titles and both played 15+years in the league.  Name the 2.

So it has to be a feast or famine type guy to hit that many dongs 3x but never 30-39..... I would say flash in the pan type as well but 15+ years eliminates that. I'll go with George Foster and Adam Dunn. I'll keep it in your wheelhouse. I've got a couple other guesses which I'll regret not saying first.

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So it has to be a feast or famine type guy to hit that many dongs 3x but never 30-39..... I would say flash in the pan type as well but 15+ years eliminates that. I'll go with George Foster and Adam Dunn. I'll keep it in your wheelhouse. I've got a couple other guesses which I'll regret not saying first.

No and no...both guys are HoFer's.

• Like 1