Trivia

rico

26 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He might lead in GIDP too haha. 

Side note question for you non-Cardinal fans. Do you guys think Molina is HOF-worthy?

I always try to use the test if my first response to a question about is someone HOF worthy if I hesitate I say no. No doubt he's one of the best defensive catchers of all time in my opinion. Problem is the catcher position gets an unfair higher standard associated with it. Almost like a Ray Guy or Roby deal for punters in the NFL. 

Until some of these old writers/voters leave....we might not see guys like Molina in. Defensively all day long. Offensively he's had his moments and a phenomenal career. HOF worthy? In it's current form of voting I say no 55/45.....but man it's close. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He might lead in GIDP too haha. 

Side note question for you non-Cardinal fans. Do you guys think Molina is HOF-worthy?

I said it before, stack him up against some of his contemporaries...

Posey

Mauer

Posada

Then apply the Ozzie Smith formula...was his defense good enough to push him past superior offensive catchers?

I think he'll eventually get in, but not first ballot...

5 minutes ago, rico said:

It is Zambrano.  Wood is third.  Maddux is 6th.

I just went and looked up. Shame what happened to Wood's arm. He had 104 fewer starts than Z but only 72 less strikeouts. I realize he did relief work during the end of his career but man. Once again what could have been with Prior, Wood, Zambrano.....closest thing to Madduz, Smoltz, Glavine over the past 20 years. At least on paper. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I just went and looked up. Shame what happened to Wood's arm. He had 104 fewer starts than Z but only 72 less strikeouts. I realize he did relief work during the end of his career but man. Once again what could have been with Prior, Wood, Zambrano.....closest thing to Madduz, Smoltz, Glavine over the past 20 years. At least on paper. 

2 bad arms and a bad head...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I remember thinking how great (because we won) and how bad (no way it was sustainable) it was Dusty running those guys up to 130 pitches every 5th day for what felt like 2-3 years. 

Wood was the one...I remember watching the 20 strikeout game (I think it was like his 4th or 5th big league start) and thinking, "if his arm doesn't fall off, he'll be in the Hall of Fame."

I've watched no hitters and perfect games, but never saw a pitcher dominate a team like Wood did the Astros that day...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wood was the one...I remember watching the 20 strikeout game (I think it was like his 4th or 5th big league start) and thinking, "if his arm doesn't fall off, he'll be in the Hall of Fame."

I've watched no hitters and perfect games, but never saw a pitcher dominate a team like Wood did the Astros that day...

Can see it like it was yesterday. When the announcers were calling the pitches before he threw you knew his stuff was so good no batter had a chance that day. 

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So back to trivia...

Since the Bears drafted Hall of Famer Sid Luckman in the first round of the 1939 NFL draft, they have picked one other Hall of Fame quarterback in the first round...who was he?

I don't think Blanda was drafted in the 1st rd........Bobby Lane?

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes! Bobby Layne lasted 1 years with the Bears...

He liked to live hard...probably got him on Papa Bear's bad side...

My buddy knows more about Bear history than I do....but I remember him saying something about Lans's leaving Chicago was a pretty weird set of circumstances.