Arkansas post game

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess I don't read other boards....but what mob are you referencing? And in what world does anyone think we should judge a basketball coach by end of year 2? To me it seems passive aggressive to pass along thoughts as others.....but deep down it's your own beliefs. That's just me though. 

When it was Peegs and now rivals there are just a bunch of morons who are critical of everything.  They always said that if we fired Crean everything would be better but I just think they like to complain and they will no matter what happens.  Over there if we were 37-0 and went to the championship game and lost on a last second half court shot they would say the season was a disappointment.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Archie has taken a team to the elite 8 so winning one more game in a tournament makes Sampson have the cred

dbm forgets the fact that Sampson coach at Washington St. before going to OU...7 years with the Cougars, not one NCAAT appearance.  

10 minutes ago, rico said:

dbm forgets the fact that Sampson coach at Washington St. before going to OU...7 years with the Cougars, not one NCAAT appearance.  

It's the copy and paste the pick and choose the parts of history to support your case line of thinking. 

Forget all the rest just include the 1 line that supports your stance. It is that mentality that u speak of that makes it difficult on teachers and coaches. You hit the nail on the head my friend

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It's the copy and paste the pick and choose the parts of history to support your case line of thinking. 

Forget all the rest just include the 1 line that supports your stance. It is that mentality that u speak of that makes it difficult on teachers and coaches. You hit the nail on the head my friend

He also "forgot" to point out that Archie had 6 seasons at Dayton.....the last 4 he had the Flyers in the NCAAT.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I’m not really looking forward to the game at Cameron. Another road game at Cameron despite we last played there, not in our house. In any event, this team needs to get healthy, we can’t compete well against Duke missing key players. Green is not perfect but he is a key player, both for his D and for his added scoring and experience. And McBob of course is key

Yeah, I’m pretty much writing that one off as a loss... If we couldn’t beat Arkansas at their place, don’t see us having much of a chance in Cameron, especially without Green and/or McBob.

Which makes the 4 game stretch immediately following that game (vs. Northwestern, @PSU, vs. Louisville, vs. Butler) even more important.  Need to go 2-2 at minimum, but I would even be a little disappointed with that.  No reason this team shouldn’t be able to go 3-1 or 4-0 over that stretch with how much talent we have.  And we should be about as healthy as we’re going to get by then.

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I’m pretty much writing that one off as a loss... If we couldn’t beat Arkansas at their place, don’t see us having much of a chance in Cameron, especially without Green and/or McBob.

Which makes the 4 game stretch immediately following that game (vs. Northwestern, @PSU, vs. Louisville, vs. Butler) even more important.  Need to go 2-2 at minimum, but I would even be a little disappointed with that.  No reason this team shouldn’t be able to go 3-1 or 4-0 over that stretch with how much talent we have.  And we should be about as healthy as we’re going to get by then.

I believe we go 4-0 during that stretch. We have a good team. Actually the only concern during that stretch is at Penn St...but after they lost to Depaul i don't know anymore. Thing is if we win vs Arkansas I think we lose at Penn St....now I think we win because of the loss. That hurt my brain just typing that. Can't imagine what it reads like.

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I believe we go 4-0 during that stretch. We have a good team. Actually the only concern during that stretch is at Penn St...but after they lost to Depaul i don't know anymore. Thing is if we win vs Arkansas I think we lose at Penn St....now I think we win because of the loss. That hurt my brain just typing that. Can't imagine what it reads like.

Ha, I see what you’re saying.  At the very least, we should crush Northwestern and Louisville at home.  But as we just saw, anything can happen on the road against a decent team... and bringing our highly touted freshmen to the Crossroads Classic against Butler’s scrubs just seems like a recipe for another BS upset to me.  But as long as we only drop one of those games, we’ll be fine.

21 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Ha, I see what you’re saying.  At the very least, we should crush Northwestern and Louisville at home.  But as we just saw, anything can happen on the road against a decent team... and bringing our highly touted freshmen to the Crossroads Classic against Butler’s scrubs just seems like a recipe for another BS upset to me.  But as long as we only drop one of those games, we’ll be fine.

Great points I think we will get all 4. Butler always makes me nervous.  I think we will have a great IU crowd but if the other 3 schools are there they will all  be pro butler 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Rico.  Help me out I am getting old, but when Sampson took OU to the Final 4 who knocked them out? I just cant put my thumb on it, but I vaguely recall people did not like that coach very much. I guess in 1 argument making FF equates to greatest in the other worst coach ever. Huh...

That was RMKs team not Mike Davis and Treloar did most of the coaching.  Davis also got spanked by Kent St the previous year and then missed the tourney 2 straight years when Bracey Wright arrived. 

When you take football school to the tourney 11 out of 12 years like KS you've solidified yourself as a damn good coach.  Not even Beilein has done that.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That was RMKs team not Mike Davis and Treloar did most of the coaching.  Davis also got spanked by Kent St the previous year and then missed the tourney 2 straight years when Bracey Wright arrived. 

When you take football school to the tourney 11 out of 12 years like KS you've solidified yourself as a damn good coach.  Not even Beilein has done that.

Just stop it paleeze.  Your rhetoric is getting old.

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Exactly. You made my point for me. You can take any fact and ignore the rest of history and make it say what you want it to day 

58 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I hate and disagree that it was RMK's team because it is totally false.  It was 2 years removed from the time he left and over half of the roster never played for him.  Also we were saying if Sampson was proven how would he lose to a Mike Davis coached team.  Also Archie went to the elite 8 but have no cred but Sampson does because he won one more game in the tournament.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hate and disagree that it was RMK's team because it is totally false.  It was 2 years removed from the time he left and over half of the roster never played for him.  Also we were saying if Sampson was proven how would he lose to a Mike Davis coached team.  Also Archie went to the elite 8 but have no cred but Sampson does because he won one more game in the tournament.

Sampson cheated to get that 1 extra win also. Why is that ignored?

All this talk about mobs going after Archie if we don't make a deep tournament run are ridiculous. Most on these fan boards like to tout guys like John Beilein and Jay Wright, and IMO the biggest thing those two coaches have in common is that their schools/programs had patience. They both have had struggles at their current schools, but their schools knew they had good coaches so were patient and it's paying off. 

It took Beilein 20 years as a D1 coach to reach a Final Four, 10 as a high major coach to do it. He missed the tournament 2 of his first 3 years at Michigan, and then in his 4th year was bounced in the 2nd round and in his 5th year won the Big Ten Title but was bounced in the first round. His first 5 seasons at Michigan he missed the tournament twice and never got past the second round. He was 60 before he ever made a Final Four.

But Michigan knew they had a good coach, so they were patient. 

It took Jay Wright 15 years as a D1 coach to make a Final Four, 8 as a high major coach before he did it. It was his 4th season as Villanova's coach before he even made an NCAA Tournament appearance. He was 48 before he made a Final Four, and after making his first Final Four he went 6 years without making it past the second round. 

But, Villanova knew they had a good coach, so they were patient. 

I think Archie is a good coach. I really, really hope our fanbase is smart enough to be patient. The guy just turned 40. He made 4 straight NCAA Tournaments at Dayton, including an Elite Eight appearance. When Jay Wright was 40 he had been to 2 NCAA Tournaments in 7 seasons as a D1 coach, never getting out of the first round. When John Beilein was 40 he had been a D1 coach for half a season and his biggest accomplishment was a 3rd place D2 finish. 

If you think Archie is a good coach, which I think he clearly is, then just be patient, it will pay off. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

All this talk about mobs going after Archie if we don't make a deep tournament run are ridiculous. Most on these fan boards like to tout guys like John Beilein and Jay Wright, and IMO the biggest thing those two coaches have in common is that their schools/programs had patience. They both have had struggles at their current schools, but their schools knew they had good coaches so were patient and it's paying off. 

It took Beilein 20 years as a D1 coach to reach a Final Four, 10 as a high major coach to do it. He missed the tournament 2 of his first 3 years at Michigan, and then in his 4th year was bounced in the 2nd round and in his 5th year won the Big Ten Title but was bounced in the first round. His first 5 seasons at Michigan he missed the tournament twice and never got past the second round. He was 60 before he ever made a Final Four.

It took Jay Wright 15 years as a D1 coach to make a Final Four, 8 as a high major coach before he did it. It was his 4th season as Villanova's coach before he even made an NCAA Tournament appearance. He was 48 before he made a Final Four, and after making his first Final Four he went 6 years without making it past the second round. 

I think Archie is a good coach. I really, really hope our fanbase is smart enough to be patient. The guy just turned 40. He made 4 straight NCAA Tournaments at Dayton, including an Elite Eight appearance. When Jay Wright was 40 he had been to 2 NCAA Tournaments in 7 seasons as a D1 coach, never getting out of the first round. When John Beilein was 40 he had been a D1 coach for half a season and his biggest accomplishment was a 3rd place D2 finish. 

If you think Archie is a good coach, which I think he clearly is, then just be patient, it will pay off. 

Very Very well said!!

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree with that.  I think he's a very good coach.  I've said many times if he can just do what his brother has done at AZ, without cheating of course, which is always have us in the hunt, no sane fan will ever call for his job even if he hasn't made a FF 

Archived