Arkansas post game

I think most people saw how we came out and dismantled Marquette and figured ok...here is an unranked Arkansas it should be the same. Problem being that Arkansas plays a totally different style game than anyone we are likely to see this year. Full court press...speed you up...deny the ball 30 feet from the basket...they just out physical us and sped us up just a hair more than we needed to be...that resulted in us taking and missing some bad jumpers and well let's be honest the Gafford kid played out of his mind. I mean granted he took a lot of shots around the basket but to hit that high of a percentage on contested looks...impressive. They also had a freshman nail like 4 or 5 threes too. We can't afford to get into foul trouble in these games when we are down 40% of our starting lineup and 3 of our rotation. To rely on freshman like Anderson this early and to rely on Davis major major minutes who is still recovering and out of shape that's tough. I don't know what will happen the Duke game but Butler and Louisville we should be able to handle things better if we stay out of trouble.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

People are just upset as we haven't won much lately.  Had we made the tourney last season there wouldn't be much outcry.  We need to make a deep tourney run this season or the mob will be coming I assure you and rightfully so.  I will give you that the Rivals board is ridiculous.  It's basically our version of Rupp Rafters.

“Rightfully so?” What, pray tell, would be so rightful about that?

A coach gets less than two seasons to build a viable national championship contender? 

Here we go again with expectations that simply aren’t realistic. We *all* want to win at the highest level as soon as we can. Most of us understand that Rome wasn’t built in a day. Some of us just want drama and blood when there’s nothing good that will ever come out of it.

I’m gonna sit back and watch Archie develop this team. That is a reasonable expectation. I will watch as the team develops into a conference title contender. That, too, is a reasonable expectation in year two. I will watch this team make the NCAA tournament this year, the higher the seed, clearly, the better. That is the final expectation that can be made of this team at this stage. 

A “deep tourney run” would amazing! It would fun to watch...a return to glory. Do I expect it? Do I require it of this coach and this team right this minute? No. It would be icing on the cake and a very clear indicator that we are in a good spot and moving in the right direction. 

My advice for the flaming heads and faint of heart: temper expectations. Try as hard as you can...losses will sting a little less and the otherwise confounding will make a little more sense.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think most people saw how we came out and dismantled Marquette and figured ok...here is an unranked Arkansas it should be the same. Problem being that Arkansas plays a totally different style game than anyone we are likely to see this year. Full court press...speed you up...deny the ball 30 feet from the basket...they just out physical us and sped us up just a hair more than we needed to be...that resulted in us taking and missing some bad jumpers and well let's be honest the Gafford kid played out of his mind. I mean granted he took a lot of shots around the basket but to hit that high of a percentage on contested looks...impressive. They also had a freshman nail like 4 or 5 threes too. We can't afford to get into foul trouble in these games when we are down 40% of our starting lineup and 3 of our rotation. To rely on freshman like Anderson this early and to rely on Davis major major minutes who is still recovering and out of shape that's tough. I don't know what will happen the Duke game but Butler and Louisville we should be able to handle things better if we stay out of trouble.

I’ll admit to feeling like that until about ten minutes left in the game. That may have been an unranked Arkansas team, but I’d be surprised if they are out come selection Sunday. Also, we’re all high as kites after ripping a Marquette team that may or may not have deserved their #24 ranking. We did that at home. Arkansas was surprisingly rocking...that was a tough place to play. 

We have faced a bunch of zone, so, yeah, the ball pressure took a toll on us. I counted at least three short, bounce passes of ours that were stolen 40’ from the basket or so. That’s a mindset thing on our guys. I think we learned a lot that will make us a much better basketball team. And, I think that will be a signature difference between an Archie team and a team from the not so distant past.

As good as Rob is, as well as he’s played, he was exposed somewhat as a frosh point in this first true road game. Expectations have been getting high for him as well. He’s very steady but we need our point dishing assists and this game was a learning experience for him. Looking forward to his continuing growth, great upside and great foundation 

14 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

“Rightfully so?” What, pray tell, would be so rightful about that?

A coach gets less than two seasons to build a viable national championship contender? 

Here we go again with expectations that simply aren’t realistic. We *all* want to win at the highest level as soon as we can. Most of us understand that Rome wasn’t built in a day. Some of us just want drama and blood when there’s nothing good that will ever come out of it.

I’m gonna sit back and watch Archie develop this team. That is a reasonable expectation. I will watch as the team develops into a conference title contender. That, too, is a reasonable expectation in year two. I will watch this team make the NCAA tournament this year, the higher the seed, clearly, the better. That is the final expectation that can be made of this team at this stage. 

A “deep tourney run” would amazing! It would fun to watch...a return to glory. Do I expect it? Do I require it of this coach and this team right this minute? No. It would be icing on the cake and a very clear indicator that we are in a good spot and moving in the right direction. 

My advice for the flaming heads and faint of heart: temper expectations. Try as hard as you can...losses will sting a little less and the otherwise confounding will make a little more sense.

A coach gets at least 4 years.  We all agree on that.  I'm just saying that right or wrong if we finish 3rd in the B1G and flame out early in the dance the mob will be coming.  To quote Fred, "deep tourney runs are expected to be a regularity."

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

No doubt in my mind that the Arkansas pressure defense took a toll on us.  I kept saying to myself, all through the game, "we are not prepared for this". Again... a positive, I take out of this,  so early in the season..... Archie has time to work on this.

Sounds like the Syracuse game all over.  Hopefully it doesn't continue.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Sounds like the Syracuse game all over.  Hopefully it doesn't continue.

That game was in the back of my mind, as I typed. Interesting that you mention it.  The big difference, IMHO..... is the coaches.  One who can adjust to an issue. And one who did not.  Once again, based on how Archie made a bad defensive team early last year, into a respectable defensive team at the season..... I have no doubt that Archie can adjust to an issue for his team... both offensive and defensive.

27 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

A coach gets at least 4 years.  We all agree on that.  I'm just saying that right or wrong if we finish 3rd in the B1G and flame out early in the dance the mob will be coming.  To quote Fred, "deep tourney runs are expected to be a regularity."

You keep referring to this mob.  Is that who the scout board is ran by, the mob?

Watching Duke pound SD State is not adding to my quality of life.  We all want to be second to none, but this year we will just have to take pleasure in watching a program develop for the future. Are we capable of getting to the sweet 16 and beyond?  I hope so, but I have a hard time seeing our ceiling as the Final Four.  Right now we may not be in the top five in the Big Ten, but I have to think that we will be one of the top programs over the next decade.  

I’ve waited 24 hours, so I wouldn’t have an overreaction post. I didn’t question Archie a bit until the very end of the game. First, I know most of you will agree and it’s probably been mentioned already, but the last timeout wasn’t utilized in our best interest. He shouldn’t have conceded the timing of that last timeout to an assistant. Archie was clearly looking towards the bench, asking “take it now?” That kind of left a sour taste in my mouth. Second, Romeo should have the ball in his hands in any situation where the game is potentially on the line. I love Rob, but he made his move entirely too soon... then again, if DeRon makes the bunny put back, we aren’t complaining on here. We’d likely be celebrating saying things such as, “man that was a nice win in a tough environment” and “our youth really overcame a lot of obstacles today.” However, this isn’t the case. 

This is is a teachable moment for everyone, including players, coaches and all of us fans. I promise, this won’t be the last time that we lose a tough one on the road against a team that we feel that we’re better than.

I feel good about our ceiling and that’s all that I can say right now. Great effort, we just had an off night, but there will be more to come, so hang on. 

I really wonder how many people who comment on message boards only experienced IU basketball with Davis, Sampson, Crean.  I sincerely hope im not wrong but I truly believe Archie has IT.  Similar to a past legendary coach we had.  Archie might not be the second coming but I doubt he disappoints.

A one point loss on the road to a likely tournament team with the injuries and environment. Not concerned at all.

24 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I really wonder how many people who comment on message boards only experienced IU basketball with Davis, Sampson, Crean.  I sincerely hope im not wrong but I truly believe Archie has IT.  Similar to a past legendary coach we had.  Archie might not be the second coming but I doubt he disappoints.

A one point loss on the road to a likely tournament team with the injuries and environment. Not concerned at all.

Had we made the tourney last year I don't think there would be any concern.  I remember us losing to Xavier early on in Eric Gordon's season.   A game we clearly should've won with a team with similar expectations and I don't remember there being much panic afterwards.  The difference was Sampson just had a lot more street cred than Archie has yet.  He had taken Oklahoma to a FF and like 10 straight tourneys.  I really like Archie and think he's the guy but he still has a lot more to prove to quiet the doubters.

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hopefully not too bumpy.  Easy to move on from this one, but if we lose more than 2-3 more games by the end of December, I won’t be too happy.

I’m not really looking forward to the game at Cameron. Another road game at Cameron despite we last played there, not in our house. In any event, this team needs to get healthy, we can’t compete well against Duke missing key players. Green is not perfect but he is a key player, both for his D and for his added scoring and experience. And McBob of course is key

13 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guess I don't read other boards....but what mob are you referencing? And in what world does anyone think we should judge a basketball coach by end of year 2? To me it seems passive aggressive to pass along thoughts as others.....but deep down it's your own beliefs. That's just me though. 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess I don't read other boards....but what mob are you referencing? And in what world does anyone think we should judge a basketball coach by end of year 2? To me it seems passive aggressive to pass along thoughts as others.....but deep down it's your own beliefs. That's just me though. 

I dont either but my guess is that's what happens when you get a group of people together that call people and consider those with opinions that differ to have less brains than a banana :jumprope:

A group like that could not be in the least bit enjoyable to be around.  That's why I stay here only a couple to deal with

14 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Here's the problem.  We just lost a game we were supposed to win.  It happens.  Upsets happen we all get that. The problem is that we're almost always on the opposite side.  Last year we lost 4, FW, ISU, Illinois, and Rutgers where we were the clear favorite.  We only pulled off 1 upset against ND and I'm not sure that was really an upset as I believe they were missing a couple of their best guys.  So we are now 1-5 in that regard during the Archie era in upsets we pulled off vs us being upset.  That just can't happen.  By the law of averages if you lose some that you were favored in you should win a few that you were the underdog in.  We need wins at Cameron, Mackey, and the Breslin Center just to get back to par.

Typical response from the negative crowd over at rivals.  We were predicted to finish 9th or lower last in in the big ten and finished 9-9 and 6th in the conference.  Everybody brings up Holtmann and OSU but they lost to unranked Butler and Clemson in the non conference and lost to PSU 3 times.

13 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I’ve waited 24 hours, so I wouldn’t have an overreaction post. I didn’t question Archie a bit until the very end of the game. First, I know most of you will agree and it’s probably been mentioned already, but the last timeout wasn’t utilized in our best interest. He shouldn’t have conceded the timing of that last timeout to an assistant. Archie was clearly looking towards the bench, asking “take it now?” That kind of left a sour taste in my mouth. Second, Romeo should have the ball in his hands in any situation where the game is potentially on the line. I love Rob, but he made his move entirely too soon... then again, if DeRon makes the bunny put back, we aren’t complaining on here. We’d likely be celebrating saying things such as, “man that was a nice win in a tough environment” and “our youth really overcame a lot of obstacles today.” However, this isn’t the case. 

This is is a teachable moment for everyone, including players, coaches and all of us fans. I promise, this won’t be the last time that we lose a tough one on the road against a team that we feel that we’re better than.

I feel good about our ceiling and that’s all that I can say right now. Great effort, we just had an off night, but there will be more to come, so hang on. 

I actually thought the last paly should have went thought Morgan and let him make the play like the one where Phinessee hit the 3 to tie the game.

11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Had we made the tourney last year I don't think there would be any concern.  I remember us losing to Xavier early on in Eric Gordon's season.   A game we clearly should've won with a team with similar expectations and I don't remember there being much panic afterwards.  The difference was Sampson just had a lot more street cred than Archie has yet.  He had taken Oklahoma to a FF and like 10 straight tourneys.  I really like Archie and think he's the guy but he still has a lot more to prove to quiet the doubters.

Archie has taken a team to the elite 8 so winning one more game in a tournament makes Sampson have the cred

Archived