IUFB Post Mortem

Yeah that’s not goose poo.  Its the flock of black birds TDH references.  And when I say flock I am talking thousands and thousands of black birds.  They have been plaguing this area for years. The migrate to urban areas in the winter and poop everywhere.  They were going all over downtown and on the parking meters and have migrated all around campus.  They have been living in the athletics area for a couple weeks.  There is no way they didn’t know this would be a problem and the fact they didn’t have a plan for it is pretty, well, sh**ty.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, rico said:

Well, on the bright side, that is more than the LA Chargers draw for a home game!!!!!!

Personally, I don’t buy the excuses that IU football can never win or that attendance and interest are forever going to be low. Basketball will always be king, this is Indiana after all, but football can emerge.  Look at the Colts. I remember them in the 1980s and early 1990s.  It was dismal.  Then 18 showed up and a super bowl was won.  Now there is a legit fan base.  

IU fans are negative because the school’s administration has not given anyone a reason to get excited. 

As far as the ability to win, there’s nothing that prevents IU from attaining the level of Northwestern or Iowa or Michigan State, etc.  Heck Illinois and Purdue have been to Rose Bowls in the past 20 years.  

The issue is whether the administration recognizes that and invests appropriately.  The changes to the building help, but that was absolutely mandatory.  Otherwise the stadium was below joke status.  Other investments can be made.  

We love basketball, but let’s be honest, this isn’t your father’s college landscape anymore. College football has been pulling further and further ahead of college basketball.  Watching transient one and doners looking to get their shots has dampened the quality of play.  Football is thriving with more and more interest.  The administration simply cannot afford to pretend to back the football program.  They need to actually make the commitment. 

Mitch Daniels figured this out.  Our guys are dazed and confused by comparison.  If you look at our Board of Trustees, we can do a whole hell of a lot better than some of those resumes.  Others have been on way too long and become stale.   You may not be able to get John Chambers or Mark Cuban, but maybe you can.  Big picture, demonstrated leadership is needed.  We don’t need political cronies or local lawyers who know whose hands to shake.  That doesn’t help anything.  The Board, McRobbie, Glass. It’s a perfect storm. And the rest of the B1G hopes they all stay in place.  

I totally agree on the board being stale and needing to be turned over.  Did you know that the majority of the seats are appointed by the governor yet IU gets hardly any funds from the state nowadays?  More than 80% of the money IU uses comes from tuition and private donations.  The state contributions have continued to shrink and shrink over the years.  Yet the board is still controlled by the state?  Shouldn’t the ones investing the money, have a love for our university, and shown some sense of all alrwoudn understanding of business, sports, and various backgrounds across IU be placed rotated in to give a fresh perspective?

Additionally I would state this lack of love for sports started with Miles Brand.  He was the president that really changed the focus away from sports and ironically went to the NCAA post IU and did wonders for them there as well 🙄.  Then we bring in a president that sells IU basketball to Sampson and on top of what happened with Knight.  There is a large group of faculty that could not stand all the focus on sports, in particular basketball, and these events lead to starting a shift away from sports.  We need a president and board who can recognize the importance of acedemics and sports on equal footing.

Did you know that Alabama actively recruits more out of state kids than in state kids for various reasons?  They get a few hundred from indiana every year.  The success of football and the name recognition from that is a huge part of it.  That has been lost on the current leadership IMO.

Archived