Alford fired....Hoiberg to UCLA?

KDB

This post is just about Steve Alford the coach, not the IU player or the person. 

He's an average-at-best high major coach. He's a good mid/low-major coach. In a power conference he's middle of the pack. For example, I wouldn't fire Tom Crean to hire Alford, it's a lateral move at best and not worth the trouble. For a blue blood or elite program he's an extremely underwhelming hire.

If I was Penn State, Ole Miss, Oregon St., I might be excited by an Alford hire. There's nothing in his coaching resume that would warrant a school like IU hiring him. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If I'm Iowa I want an occasional run in the B1G and maybe win one but to stay in the top half and not miss a NCAA tournament. To me it's about winning the games you should (or where you are ranked higher) and getting as far in the tourney as you can....a couple S16s be nice. I don't think as an AD I could expect much more....and keep your program clean....and that might be just as much the issue as was anything.

Exactly.  JMHO, but Steve appears to have the propensity to jump at whatever he feels is a better situation than what he's got.  At least in his mind anyway.  But I would say that had the Pierce situation not came along that he very well might have flourished with the Hawks.  We will never know.  

Now we sit back and see where he will land.  I imagine the networks have already reached out to him.  And then see what jobs come open coaching wise.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Exactly.  JMHO, but Steve appears to have the propensity to jump at whatever he feels is a better situation than what he's got.  At least in his mind anyway.  But I would say that had the Pierce situation not came along that he very well might have flourished with the Hawks.  We will never know.  

Now we sit back and see where he will land.  I imagine the networks have already reached out to him.  And then see what jobs come open coaching wise.

Agreed....grass isn't always greener. I do think his attitude depending on where one is can be an issue to. Being a jerk in Iowa probably won't fly...being a jerk at UCLA probably goes unnoticed. He has been humbled but I think in a year or two he should be able to find a decent opening at a program. He still has a big name here in the Midwest. I could see a team like Tulsa or Wichita St (if Marshall left) being a good fit. Or Creighton if McDermott left. Some reason I just see him going to like UCF or USF or somewhere like that...nothing wrong with going to another sunshine state. 

^^^ In terms of Pitino.  I was never more happy than when IU turned down Pitino's money "demands" to coach IU, during one of our coaching searches.  And yes, he was in consideration.For a short time.  And yes IU has used coaching search firms in the past.  In this case it was one individual. Not a large firm like Parker. Search firms take lead in filling head coaching vacancies in college athletics

In Pitino's case, a guy who sat at the table (not from Indiana ) in a restaurant confirmed to me that the meeting did in fact take place.  And that Pitino's money demands were so unreasonable, that I.U. never got back to "Slick Rick". 

O.K. I admit I listen to Rush Limbaugh. So, today while listening to his program, (Rush is on vacay so there was someone else filling in), Steve Alfords name and UCLA came up. Apparently during last nights Arizona game where Bill Walton was doing the game, someone asked Bill who the next coach should be. Bill as a matter of factly said, are you ready for this??

Barrack O'Bama!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

O.K. I admit I listen to Rush Limbaugh. So, today while listening to his program, (Rush is on vacay so there was someone else filling in), Steve Alfords name and UCLA came up. Apparently during last nights Arizona game where Bill Walton was doing the game, someone asked Bill who the next coach should be. Bill as a matter of factly said, are you ready for this??

Barrack O'Bama!!!!!

I confirm your report....I heard it too!!!!!!!!

55 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Barrack O'Bama!!!!!

Hey.... we have a rule around here. No politics !  LOL

Seriously.... the guy was a huge BB fan.  Always looked forward to his bracket picks.  In fact, I think one year he picked IU to win it all. 

But I don't know about being a HC. 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hey.... we have a rule around here. No politics !  LOL

Seriously.... the guy was a huge BB fan.  Always looked forward to his bracket picks.  In fact, I think one year he picked IU to win it all. 

But I don't know about being a HC. 

And I don't know about Bill Walton being an announcer!!!!!!!

48 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Wow...seems a tad bit of overreaction there.  It's just for fun, man.  Don't be surprised if a zoo animal doesn't win a national pool some year.

Not an overreaction at all. I don't find comparing President Obama to an animal to be remotely funny. You think that's fun?

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not an overreaction at all. I don't find comparing President Obama to an animal to be remotely funny. You think that's fun?

I didn't read that into the post at all.  Don't make the post something it's not.

...and with that, I'm done.  This has gone as far as it needs to.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I didn't read that into the post at all.  Don't make the post something it's not.

...and with that, I'm done.  This has gone as far as it needs to.

How in the world could you read anything else into that post? Did you read the post directly before it that was talking about Obama making picks? 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

How in the world could you read anything else into that post? Did you read the post directly before it that was talking about Obama making picks? 

Not sure of the issue, was it the link, or putting the picks of a politician on par with the picks of a group of animals?

Either way, stepping away from that part of the discussion.

My picks are usually on par with those of the animals :cheers:

Just now, PoHoosier said:

Not sure of the issue, was it the link, or putting the picks of a politician on par with the picks of a group of animals?

Either way, stepping away from that part of the discussion.

My picks are usually on par with those of the animals :cheers:

It was calling an animal more enlightened than President Obama. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It was calling an animal more enlightened than President Obama. 

I didn't catch it the first time through.  Shots on politicians are taken more easily for me than shots of alcohol.  

As far as Alford, I think a mid-major picks him up before the fall of 2019.

Archived