Mock Drafts - 2019 & 2020

5fouls

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sports Illustrated's updated mock out today has Romeo going 5th to the Knickerbockers

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/20/nba-mock-draft-2019-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-romeo-langford-kevin-porter-jr

But,  I'll go out on a limb and say that if Romeo does not fix his 3 point shooting, he will stay in school regardless of where his draft projections are.  He and his family are too smart for him to declare based on 'potential'.  He's going to be ready when he makes the jump.

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Sports Illustrated's updated mock out today has Romeo going 5th to the Knickerbockers

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/20/nba-mock-draft-2019-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-romeo-langford-kevin-porter-jr

But,  I'll go out on a limb and say that if Romeo does not fix his 3 point shooting, he will stay in school regardless of where his draft projections are.  He and his family are too smart for him to declare based on 'potential'.  He's going to be ready when he makes the jump.

He gone

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Based on.......

Everything that I've heard, nobody expects him to come back. He comes from a lower income family as well, most sites have him at #5 in the draft.

There is literally 0 reason for him to come back and risk money on an injury when he can make millions as a top 5-10 pick. Hell if I was Archie I would tell him to go, it would only put a feather in Archie's cap and benefit IU long term. Enjoy him while he's here.

2 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Everything that I've heard, nobody expects him to come back. He comes from a lower income family as well, most sites have him at #5 in the draft.

There is literally 0 reason for him to come back and risk money on an injury when he can make millions as a top 5-10 pick. Hell if I was Archie I would tell him to go, it would only put a feather in Archie's cap and benefit IU long term. Enjoy him while he's here.

I've heard things that point in the opposite direction.  

If he goes #5 in the draft, I agree that would be hard to turn down.  That said, if he continues to shoot 20% from the three point line, he's not going #5 in the draft.  And, I can promise you that grabbing the first big paycheck and being the next Ben McLemore is not on the Langford's radar.

26 minutes ago, AshtonHershey said:

I would be interested to know who was the last SG to be drafted in the lottery after shooting 20% from behind the arc. Romeo could use some time to improve his shot selection and fix his outside shot, as well as dribbling. 

You can pull the 2-guard draft picks up pretty easily -- 

Romeo is universally regarded as a top 5-10 pick, he's scoring at a terrific level at the top of the B1G in one of the best B1G's we've had in a while, and he's rebounding and grabbing steals. Last I checked he led the B1G in free throws attempted. He gets to the line. The guy will go top 5-10, or higher, if he declares.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You can pull the 2-guard draft picks up pretty easily -- 

Romeo is universally regarded as a top 5-10 pick, he's scoring at a terrific level at the top of the B1G in one of the best B1G's we've had in a while, and he's rebounding and grabbing steals. The guy will go top 5-10, or higher, if he declares.

I agree with your assessment, however 5Fouls has seemed fairly plugged in to the Langfords. I’ve heard Romeo is also having the time of his life right now. 

Am I hanging my hat on his return? Nope. But he wouldn’t be the first lottery pick to return to school. 

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I've heard things that point in the opposite direction.  

If he goes #5 in the draft, I agree that would be hard to turn down.  That said, if he continues to shoot 20% from the three point line, he's not going #5 in the draft.  And, I can promise you that grabbing the first big paycheck and being the next Ben McLemore is not on the Langford's radar.

I obviously hope he comes back I just think it would be a bad decision, especially with all the guys that have fallen in the draft recently. Anytime you're a top 5-10 pick you go and start developing full time in the NBA while making millions.

It's also selfish to expect him to, because if it were me I would go and not look back.

1 minute ago, SIHoosier26 said:

I obviously hope he comes back I just think it would be a bad decision, especially with all the guys that have fallen in the draft recently. Anytime you're a top 5-10 pick you go and start developing full time in the NBA while making millions.

It's also selfish to expect him to, because if it were me I would go and not look back.

If Romeo comes back, we'll be a contender. That may be enticing factor to Romeo, but just like you said, if he's a surefire top 10 (preferably top 7 ish) draft pick, which he is, he should go. 

6 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

If Romeo comes back, we'll be a contender. That may be enticing factor to Romeo, but just like you said, if he's a surefire top 10 (preferably top 7 ish) draft pick, which he is, he should go. 

Not just a contender, a national title contender.

Can you imagine a roster that looks like this?

Phinisee /Durham

Langford /Green/Franklin

Brooks/Hunter

Smith/Thompson/Moore

TJD/Deron/Forrester

That's a top 5 roster and one of the best teams in the country. Unfortunately it's not going to happen.

1 minute ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Not just a contender, a national title contender.

Can you imagine a roster that looks like this?

Phinisee /Durham

Langford /Green/Franklin

Brooks/Hunter

Smith/Thompson/Moore

TJD/Deron/Forrester

That's a top 5 roster and one of the best teams in the country. Unfortunately it's not going to happen.

Did Brooks sign?

28 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I agree with your assessment, however 5Fouls has seemed fairly plugged in to the Langfords. I’ve heard Romeo is also having the time of his life right now. 

Am I hanging my hat on his return? Nope. But he wouldn’t be the first lottery pick to return to school. 

Agreed across the board. Fouls has seemed pretty plugged in. Cody came back, a projected lottery pick. It's always possible, but of course is a risk for the kid (injury, etc.) to be weighed against a guaranteed NBA contract at the lottery level. This kid is a sure fire lottery pick with tremendous NBA upside. We'll see.

30 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

I never understood why anyone would say coming back to college is bad for a player because it is not up to you or I to tell a person what to do.  I hate it when I here people say a certain player should retire because he is not what he use to be. My argument who are we to tell someone when they should retire from something they love doing.  I feel the same way when people say kids make a huge mistake by staying in school when that is what a kid wants to do.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never understood why anyone would say coming back to college is bad for a player because it is not up to you or I to tell a person what to do.  I hate it when I here people say a certain player should retire because he is not what he use to be. My argument who are we to tell someone when they should retire from something they love doing.  I feel the same way when people say kids make a huge mistake by staying in school when that is what a kid wants to do.

Ultimately it's up to the player and his family but I don't want to clog up the thread. I seriously doubt we will ever agree on this.

5 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

And risk injury while making leaving millions on the table? While everyone benefits off you while you make nothing? That's a selfish opinion.

Plus not to mention the term student athlete was orginally created in the 1900's to stop from players claiming workers disability and money compensation since a lot of former college football athletes were above the age of 25 in the 1900'/ look it up its all true.

Archived