Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Seeking6 said:

There isn't which tells me this decision came down to something along the lines of proximity to home....or some other emotional reason. Nothing to do with on the court or facilities or attention,etc......I mean maybe it could come down to the promises of endless shots during a game but this kid doesn't strike me as one of those. Has to be something where IU/Archie have zero control over.

Very well could have...but that doesn't mean it was a bad decision. It isn't like Marquette has a poor facilities etc. Might not be as good as IU but nothing wrong with those emotional reasons. Most likely he just connected with the staff better because they had been recruiting him longer. That's emotional and that's ok. I think Archie and Ostrom made this decision very difficult for Dawson...and I saw effort that will pay dividends down the road on the recruiting trail if we continue to operate like this.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So you are not buying all the experts saying it is a done deal for Marquette

Just my opinion, but short of hearing word from a kid or his parents, the most I consider a deal "done" is 90%, and I don't think any experts/insiders would take offense to that. Why? Because we're dealing with the decision of a teenager through secondhand information. Signals get crossed, kids change their mind.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Can't speak for TDH, but it's not like experts are never wrong.  Zion Williamson was not going to Duke until he did.

Enough uncertainty here that it would be foolish to assume it's a done deal just because of a couple of crystal ball picks.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly as much time and thought and consideration he and his family put into this I think Marquette will be the best fit for him. I don't think he is making a mistake. I think he could have had an outstanding career here at IU and set himself up for a first rd pick in a couple years but Marquette is a fabulous school and hope him and his family the best. I don't think other than Memphis in this situation there were any bad options for Dawson. Even if we might have the better team moving forward his heart was telling him Marquette and he will have plenty of opportunity there to stand out. Some times there are no bad choices...just maybe better ones (and obviously a better one for us) but he is going to make that program better and I wish him well.

Yeah Marquette was there from the get go and who knows like garland maybe it was never as close as we thought it was.  Seems his visit here was great but don't they mostly always say that?  Seems like we went from having no shot to top two in a matter of a month.  At any rate I am not to let myself get caught up in the rumors and inside source stuff going forward.  Just let the chips fall where they may.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree with what you say but I just have a hard time finding what Marquette provides that is better than what is provided at IU.

All recruit's decisions don't revolve around fan base and enthusiasm. Maybe he didn't like the pack line. Maybe he developed a better relationship with the coaching staff. Maybe IU was too far. Maybe 4 games against cupcake opponents hasn't convinced him that IU didn't turn the corner, and in case we haven't, he didn't want to walk into that buzzsaw of an atmosphere next year.

It matters what Dawson thinks. He's the one who has the tough decision. He's the one who has talked to both coaching staffs endlessly. He's the one that visited both schools. He's not making a dumb or uninformed decision. 

If/when we actually have consistent success then we can backhandedly bash the programs we lose recruits to, but at least then it'd be backed up by substance rather than an empty effort to make ourselves feel better. 

We'll get there though....I hope. 

By all accounts, Dawson and his family made a really good impression on IU. They seem like a great family. Good luck to Dawson. Let's move on to the next one and start worrying about this season. Appreciate all info brought to us on the board by insiders - it's always entertaining to follow along. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I haven't heard any experts say it is a done deal for Marquette.  If you are talking crystal ball predictions, sometimes those are educated guesses.  I believe that to be the case here.  Archie would not have said what he said last night if he knew Dawson was going to Marquette.  If Archie didn't know, then random 247 dudes with no real connection to the programs don't know.  The people I trust here are saying "don't know" -- and man how refreshing is that for someone to just come out and say they don't know.

Just now, The Daily Hoosier said:

I haven't heard any experts say it is a done deal for Marquette.  If you are talking crystal ball predictions, sometimes those are educated guesses.  I believe that to be the case here.  Archie would not have said what he said last night if he knew Dawson was going to Marquette.  If Archie didn't know, then random 247 dudes with no real connection to the programs don't know.  The people I trust here are saying "don't know" -- and man how refreshing is that for someone to just come out and say they don't know.

I tend to think when there is a wave in one direction this close to an announcement that usually (not all the time, but usually) it's correct. But to your point about Archie, why would he say last night that they still hope to add someone in the early signing period, etc., if he knew IU was out and the decision had been made? He wouldn't say that even if he he didn't know but just felt it wasn't going his way. 

Again, this is probably Marquette, but that was an odd comment from a guy that's usually pretty tight-lipped. 

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly as much time and thought and consideration he and his family put into this I think Marquette will be the best fit for him. I don't think he is making a mistake. I think he could have had an outstanding career here at IU and set himself up for a first rd pick in a couple years but Marquette is a fabulous school and hope him and his family the best. I don't think other than Memphis in this situation there were any bad options for Dawson. Even if we might have the better team moving forward his heart was telling him Marquette and he will have plenty of opportunity there to stand out. Some times there are no bad choices...just maybe better ones (and obviously a better one for us) but he is going to make that program better and I wish him well.

We can agree to disagree. I don’t always think because a player didn’t choose IU they were making a mistake but I think Brooks did and I think Garcia is. Following your heart doesn’t mean you made a wise decision. Because people make decisions everyday based on their emotion that turn out to be unwise decisions. And people who spend a lot of time thinking about their decision also doesn’t mean they end up making the reasonable decision. Just means they thought about it a lot. BUT I respect that it’s HIS decision to make and I wish him well.

based on what he desires to accomplish, the success at this level and moving forward, etc it wasn’t the logical or reasonable decision.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I tend to think when there is a wave in one direction this close to an announcement that usually (not all the time, but usually) it's correct. But to your point about Archie, why would he say last night that they still hope to add someone in the early signing period, etc., if he knew IU was out and the decision had been made? He wouldn't say that even if he he didn't know but just felt it wasn't going his way. 

Again, this is probably Marquette, but that was an odd comment from a guy that's usually pretty tight-lipped. 

Yep, to be clear, if I was forced to make a "crystal ball (LOL)" pick like those guys I'd go with MU right now too.  But they are indeed told to log a pick.  It creates a buzz and attention for the brand.  But WHO is making the picks is just as important.

15 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

What did he say last night because he can't talk publically about a recruit.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What did he say last night because he can't talk publically about a recruit.

Of particular note as it relates to the 2020 recruiting class, Miller said “we’re not done yet, the signing period is not done yet.”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/watch-archie-miller-and-don-fischer-discuss-recruiting-and-princeton-on-radio-show/

10 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Yep, to be clear, if I was forced to make a "crystal ball (LOL)" pick like those guys I'd go with MU right now too.  But they are indeed told to log a pick.  It creates a buzz and attention for the brand.  But WHO is making the picks is just as important.

Who they are matters, but why they are making a pick is just as important. Like you just said, they're TOLD to log a pick. I agree that if I had to log a pick right now, I'd make it for Marquette too. That creates the perception of momentum for Marquette, but in reality, it's a veiled guess.

16 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

There are only 6 total picks and the Slater pick is the one steering this right now. He’ll bring tag alongs including Meyer. I’m still holding out hope. Evan Daniels is one to watch. If he and Peegs lock it in for the other guys then it’s likely curtains.

Edit: 5 picks, one guy picked “?”

This info is from https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59340.0

Dawson Garcia will make his college choice known on Wednesday at 3:30 central time from Prior Lake HS.  It will be streamed live on CBS Sports HQ and the BB coaches at the school have made their predictions.  My friend says he believes MU will land the talented forward this week.  The other assistants are leaning towards Minnesota.  Interestingly, there is not a coach on the staff predicting Garcia will choose Indiana.  I look forward to watching the big announcement on Wednesday!

Very baffled by what I have underlined,  thoughts?

1 minute ago, CrimsonV said:

There are only 6 total picks and the Slater pick is the one steering this right now. He’ll bring tag alongs including Meyer. I’m still holding out hope. Evan Daniels is one to watch. If he and Peegs lock it in for the other guys then it’s likely curtains.

If Daniels, Flood or Snow log a pick, I'm paying attention. 

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Dawson Garcia will make his college choice known on Wednesday at 3:30 central time from Prior Lake HS.  It will be streamed live on CBS Sports HQ and the BB coaches at the school have made their predictions.  My friend says he believes MU will land the talented forward this week.  The other assistants are leaning towards Minnesota.  Interestingly, there is not a coach on the staff predicting Garcia will choose Indiana.  I look forward to watching the big announcement on Wednesday!

Very baffled by what I have underlined

So basically we may finish third but are not even in the discussion. Wow.

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Very baffled by what I have underlined,  thoughts?

Eddie, if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now. 

Translation: Who the %^#& knows.

Archived