Trayce Jackson-Davis

6 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Ok so 247 has him listed at 6'8" and being a center. Is that accurate? If we need a true center, I want a guy taller than 6'8". Not discounting his talent or ability at all, just trying to understand. I would still love to get him, but someone fill me in. If he is a center and growing, great, let's pair him with Brooks and Watford both!

Not sure how tall he is now, but he plays like a PF/C. Gets rebs and scores down low. I'm sure he's still growing and that might be outdated, but either way if he's not tall enough to be a C he's fine as a PF if he has to have a position attached to him. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Am I the only person who finds it absolutely comical that Crean thinks he is going to start getting top-flight Indiana kids now? 

I like Tom.  I really do, as a person.  BUT...... the guy couldn't consistently recruit top talent in Indiana while he was the coach at IU.  What makes him think he can do it now, in Georgia ?

57 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Ok so 247 has him listed at 6'8" and being a center. Is that accurate? If we need a true center, I want a guy taller than 6'8". Not discounting his talent or ability at all, just trying to understand. I would still love to get him, but someone fill me in. If he is a center and growing, great, let's pair him with Brooks and Watford both!

Trayce is 6'9-6'10 and is absolutely a college 5. He will create great mismatches at the 5 position. His jump shot is the next weapon to add to his arsenal along with overall strength (and he's well on way in that aspect). 

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Am I the only person who finds it absolutely comical that Crean thinks he is going to start getting top-flight Indiana kids now? 

I would think of it as a PR move to show that he's got Indiana ties, which is not the case. I don't think he's that delusional though. He may get mid to low 4 stars or 3 stars occasionally, but top flight Indiana high school recruits? Good luck with that. 

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I would think of it as a PR move to show that he's got Indiana ties, which is not the case. I don't think he's that delusional though. He may get mid to low 4 stars or 3 stars occasionally, but top flight Indiana high school recruits? Good luck with that. 

I’m of the same mindset. He’ll get those token final 3s / 5s for players but they’re just being kind to him. Not saying that’s the case here but it was a common theme for him for 5 star players.

52 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I like Tom.  I really do, as a person.  BUT...... the guy couldn't consistently recruit top talent in Indiana while he was the coach at IU.  What makes him think he can do it now, in Georgia ?

I have a better chance winning the lottery and I rarely play.

7 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

Modern basketball is position-less to some degree.  DeRon Davis is probably a traditional center and would be coveted 25 years ago, but his skillset is a liability now with his inbility to stretch the floor and guard the pick and roll.  The days of 6'10"+ centers is in the past, unless you can shoot and move your feet as well on defense. You are better off as a team to have 2-3 6'8" players to go along with 2-3 long guards with either speed or the ability to post up and shoot.  Forget centers.  You are either a guard or a forward in today's game.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:16 PM, FKIM01 said:

Al has a better stroke than you think.  I'll bet he's a gym rat this summer and makes you eat those words.

WHAT stroke are you referring to because if shooter stroke, that is BUSTED!  Sorry, you either have a stroke or you do not & my eyes say Nadda!  Show me AL!

5 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

WHAT stroke are you referring to because if shooter stroke, that is BUSTED!  Sorry, you either have a stroke or you do not & my eyes say Nadda!  Show me AL!

Oh wow.. I think it's pretty easy to see his shot looks good. There has to be something minimal to fix. 

I’m with bornhoosier here. 40/29/71 is ... not good. I remember the interviews after he decided to stay last summer and he talked about having a good shot already....I didn’t see it then and its all about expextation. If he can get to 43/35/75 I’ll be happy with that progression. 

12 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I’m with bornhoosier here. 40/29/71 is ... not good. I remember the interviews after he decided to stay last summer and he talked about having a good shot already....I didn’t see it then and its all about expextation. If he can get to 43/35/75 I’ll be happy with that progression. 

But what's it look like? The form is good. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But what's it look like? The form is good. 

Shooting is more than just form. It’s confidence and self belief too. The base is sooo low at 29%. He played 19 minutes and took a fair amount of shots. Let’s see what happens. The whole squads shooting seemed to go down under Archie and I suspect that had something to do with energy levels and fear of TOs but I’m just guessing and we need a bigger sample.

4 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Shooting is more than just form. It’s confidence and self belief too. The base is sooo low at 29%. He played 19 minutes and took a fair amount of shots. Let’s see what happens. The whole squads shooting seemed to go down under Archie and I suspect that had something to do with energy levels and fear of TOs but I’m just guessing and we need a bigger sample.

Hmmm we see it differently. No big deal. 

Back to TJD.. who's a lefty as well. Christ lol 

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

Sorry guys but as a former shooter I know when I see a “shooters” touch slash follow through as it’s a thing of beauty!  Never seen a clip of AD’s shot in HS so cant comment on prior but at Collegiate level it’s either rushed or was never there.  I’d think if it was there we’d seen signs at some point but maybe I missed that game.  I remember watching w/ buddies after every shot AD took I’d yell BUSTED because the ball would take a huge bounce off the rim.  I will say with his length/athleticism he does have that KY player look to be a scorer (around the rim but can’t shoot) type player!  500 shots a day can change that just like MJ, VICO and any other player so future could be bright.

2 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Are you serious?!!!  Watch this video and tell me he doesn't have a shooting stroke...

18 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Sorry guys but as a former shooter I know when I see a “shooters” touch slash follow through as it’s a thing of beauty!  Never seen a clip of AD’s shot in HS so cant comment on prior but at Collegiate level it’s either rushed or was never there.  I’d think if it was there we’d seen signs at some point but maybe I missed that game.  I remember watching w/ buddies after every shot AD took I’d yell BUSTED because the ball would take a huge bounce off the rim.  I will say with his length/athleticism he does have that KY player look to be a scorer (around the rim but can’t shoot) type player!  500 shots a day can change that just like MJ, VICO and any other player so future could be bright.

I was a shooter too so it’s no surprise we see eye to eye lol. I’ll go back I what I posted earlier when Al considered himself a good shooter 😬. He’ll progress and I’m sure he’ll work on his shot because he’s a gym rat but we aren’t ever seeing close to 40% and I’m glad to look foolish on this one.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Are you serious?!!!  Watch this video and tell me he doesn't have a shooting stroke...

I seen 3 good form 3 ptrs & everything else was KY type around the rim type scores?  I said I never seen tape of HS or AAU but I ask where was that form in College?  Didn’t seem as broken as I remember but still not a great “shooter” look.

2 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I was a shooter too so it’s no surprise we see eye to eye lol. I’ll go back I what I posted earlier when Al considered himself a good shooter 😬. He’ll progress and I’m sure he’ll work on his shot because he’s a gym rat but we aren’t ever seeing close to 40% and I’m glad to look foolish on this one.

Yes Sir, only the few see it.  If VIC/Troy can improve their SHACK touch to make it the next level, then AD has EVERY opp to surpass both.  500 shots every morning AD

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I’ve got my eyes opened and you know I respect your opinion so I can’t wait to see how he develops. His stroke does looks just fine but his shot just seems ‘off’ and I can’t really back that claim up other than to say I wasn’t feeling it and he ended up shooting 29%. 

He’ll make that jump but how high? Can’t wait to find out.

18 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Yes Sir, only the few see it.  If VIC/Troy can improve their SHACK touch to make it the next level, then AD has EVERY opp to surpass both.  500 shots every morning AD

Exactly. Troy had no shot, but he developed a respectable trey. Vic shot in the 20’s his soph year from the arc, and in his 40’s as a junior.

As a soph you could see the clean form in Vic’s free throws but he hadn’t found the range from the arc. Al may or may not hone his form and develop a solid jumper, but if he’s working in it over the summer hard, no reason to think he can’t 

26 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I’ve got my eyes opened and you know I respect your opinion so I can’t wait to see how he develops. His stroke does looks just fine but his shot just seems ‘off’ and I can’t really back that claim up other than to say I wasn’t feeling it and he ended up shooting 29%. 

He’ll make that jump but how high? Can’t wait to find out.

Will say that from HS to Big Ten competition you won’t have that extra timing to get a shot off clean & that could def lead to a release issue.  In the AAU vid he looked confident and the shot flowed but did not see much of that at IU.  Here’s to AD gaining that confidence every shooter needs be successful.  

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Exactly. Troy had no shot, but he developed a respectable trey. Vic shot in the 20’s his soph year from the arc, and in his 40’s as a junior.

As a soph you could see the clean form in Vic’s free throws but he hadn’t found the range from the arc. Al may or may not hone his form and develop a solid jumper, but if he’s working in it over the summer hard, no reason to think he can’t 

I really don’t want to be a contrarian but Troy shoots in the 20s at the nba level and vic 35. Shooting is a different beast. It’s usually just a specailist trait so I see how me and born see eye to eye.

Archived