NBA Thread

9 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

IU has a lot of really nice pieces in the NBA that contribute to various levels. Here is to hoping Romeo will grow into being an All-Star level player. 

EDIT: I realize that was random, just thinking about how many players we have contributing at different positions and teams got me thinking about an all IU team

Edited by KoB2011

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

IU has a lot of really nice pieces in the NBA that contribute to various levels. Here is to hoping Romeo will grow into being an All-Star level player. 

EDIT: I realize that was random, just thinking about how many players we have contributing at different positions and teams got me thinking about an all IU team

I'd take my chances with a starting lineup of Gordon, Vic, OG, Vonleh, and Zeller...with Bryant, Yogi, and Troy off the bench? I realize a few others schools can probably claim a better team/lineup but that starting 5 would do pretty darn good. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd take my chances with a starting lineup of Gordon, Vic, OG, Vonleh, and Zeller...with Bryant, Yogi, and Troy off the bench? I realize a few others schools can probably claim a better team/lineup but that starting 5 would do pretty darn good. 

I think it would do well, certainly could compete in the East for a playoff spot. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This from today's espn write up of the Thunder (W) game with the Knicks:

Knicks: Vonleh is the only Knick to play in all 45 games this season. He has started 38 times, second most on the team behind Hardaway (41) .

There's also a nice reverse dunk clip by him in the espn game recap.

Noah seems to be a guy that can't find a home.  Maybe he has found one now?

After all the drama with the Celtics a week or so ago, they’re on a 4-game winning streak with Kyrie averaging 30.8 ppg on 60.3% shooting (14-25 3-pt), 11apg and 2.5spg. It’s just a 4 game sample size and I still don’t think you win a title with Kyrie as your best player (there’s only handful of guys that can as the lead guy), but with all the recent drama there is no doubt that Kyrie is lifting this team up, making them better (along with Horford and a couple others) and being a leader. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Seems like it. Knicks still a mess but they have a few good pieces and he seems like one of them 

He definitely is a good piece. He is only 23 and averages 8 and 8 with 40% from three-point range. It isn't hard to envision him averaging like 12 and 10 with a block and steal throughout his prime, which would make him a really solid starter. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

After all the drama with the Celtics a week or so ago, they’re on a 4-game winning streak with Kyrie averaging 30.8 ppg on 60.3% shooting (14-25 3-pt), 11apg and 2.5spg. It’s just a 4 game sample size and I still don’t think you win a title with Kyrie as your best player (there’s only handful of guys that can as the lead guy), but with all the recent drama there is no doubt that Kyrie is lifting this team up, making them better (along with Horford and a couple others) and being a leader. 

Good for Kyrie! If he keeps this up for a long stretch I'll certainly eat crow. I actually think with the parts around him, if he is playing like this you could win a title with him. 

EDIT: I think the pool for being the best player on a championship team is bigger than you do, most likely. I think the Warriors have temporarily thrown off that conversation. 

Edited by KoB2011

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Good for Kyrie! If he keeps this up for a long stretch I'll certainly eat crow. I actually think with the parts around him, if he is playing like this you could win a title with him. 

EDIT: I think the pool for being the best player on a championship team is bigger than you do, most likely. I think the Warriors have temporarily thrown off that conversation. 

I think one thing that history has shown, though the game/league is changing rapidly, is that it's very difficult to win an NBA title without a legit, viable MVP winner/candidate. I don't mean someone that finished 4th in the voting one time, I mean someone that is in the discussion annually and has either won an MVP or is clearly in a pool of players that will most likely win one (think Anthony Davis) in their career. 

I don't see guys like Kyrie, Oladipo, Wall, Paul George, Lilliard, Griffin, etc., actually ever winning an MVP or leading a team to an NBA title. Obviously I'm a huge Paul Pierce guy, having worked with him directly, he was a 10-time all-star and as much as I love him he wasn't winning a title until he played with an MVP in Garnett. 

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think one thing that history has shown, though the game/league is changing rapidly, is that it's very difficult to win an NBA title without a legit, viable MVP winner/candidate. I don't mean someone that finished 4th in the voting one time, I mean someone that is in the discussion annually and has either won an MVP or is clearly in a pool of players that will most likely win one (think Anthony Davis) in their career. 

I don't see guys like Kyrie, Oladipo, Wall, Paul George, Lilliard, Griffin, etc., actually ever winning an MVP or leading a team to an NBA title. Obviously I'm a huge Paul Pierce guy, having worked with him directly, he was a 10-time all-star and as much as I love him he wasn't winning a title until he played with an MVP in Garnett. 

I hear what you're saying, but KG wasn't an MVP caliber player on the Celtics, he was the best player on a really good team. The Spurs won titles without an MVP caliber player, just a collection of really good players. Was Dirk MVP caliber when the Mavs won it? 

I can see Kyrie or Kawhi getting a title in their current situations. For Kyrie, I think that involves him playing at the type of level he has been recently. He is capable of that, he just has to do it. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear what you're saying, but KG wasn't an MVP caliber player on the Celtics, he was the best player on a really good team. The Spurs won titles without an MVP caliber player, just a collection of really good players. Was Dirk MVP caliber when the Mavs won it? 

I can see Kyrie or Kawhi getting a title in their current situations. For Kyrie, I think that involves him playing at the type of level he has been recently. He is capable of that, he just has to do 

Dirk was 6th in voting that year but clearly killed in in the playoffs.  

The spurs had a 2 time mvp in Duncan and Robinson won one as well.  

The celtics have a nice blend.  I will not be surprised to see them put this thing together this year and make the finals. Hopefully chemistry explodes in gs but it isnlt looking like it.  They may actually be playing better than ever and getting better.  I wonder if they aren't challenging themselves to go on a huge winning streak.  

16 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Dirk was 6th in voting that year but clearly killed in in the playoffs.  

The spurs had a 2 time mvp in Duncan and Robinson won one as well.  

The celtics have a nice blend.  I will not be surprised to see them put this thing together this year and make the finals. Hopefully chemistry explodes in gs but it isnlt looking like it.  They may actually be playing better than ever and getting better.  I wonder if they aren't challenging themselves to go on a huge winning streak.  

I am talking the Spurs that beat the Heat. Duncan was still good, but he wasn't MVP level at that point. 

16 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I can see Kyrie or Kawhi getting a title in their current situations. For Kyrie, I think that involves him playing at the type of level he has been recently. He is capable of that, he just has to do it. 

I didn't mean you have to be MVP winner that particular season you win a title, but you need an MVP level talent to win a title. Yes, Duncan was older the last time the Spurs won, but it's like a HOF pitcher that has lost his fastball but learns how to pitch the edges and with control. The greatness is still there and comes out when the team needs it, just not for 82 games anymore. Duncan was still great for the Spurs when they needed it and a lot of what they did flowed through him, Dirk finished 6th the season Dallas won, but again it's not necessarily about being MVP caliber that season, just that you have a guy that has proven he can raise his game to that level when needed. Also, KG finished 3rd in the MVP the year the Celtics won the title. He was still a legit MVP caliber player (until he got hurt the following season) that season and won DPOY. 

History just shows this. If you go back to 1980, the Pistons ('89, '90, '04) are the only team to win a title without at least one former or current MVP. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I didn't mean you have to be MVP winner that particular season you win a title, but you need an MVP level talent to win a title. Yes, Duncan was older the last time the Spurs won, but it's like a HOF pitcher that has lost his fastball but learns how to pitch the edges and with control. The greatness is still there and comes out when the team needs it, just not for 82 games anymore. Duncan was still great for the Spurs when they needed it and a lot of what they did flowed through him, Dirk finished 6th the season Dallas won, but again it's not necessarily about being MVP caliber that season, just that you have a guy that has proven he can raise his game to that level when needed. Also, KG finished 3rd in the MVP the year the Celtics won the title. He was still a legit MVP caliber player (until he got hurt the following season) that season and won DPOY. 

History just shows this. If you go back to 1980, the Pistons ('89, '90, '04) are the only team to win a title without at least one former or current MVP. 

I get what you're saying, and was going to comment about Detroit, but then saw your last sentence. It definitely helps a great deal and is important to a team's chances of success to have an MVP level talent, but those Pistons' squads, really 04, demonstrate you don't "need" and MVP level talent, in fairness. 

Now about my favorite player, for more fun (:D)

Paul G -- Currently:

#8 overall in scoring at 27 PPG

#2 overall in real plus minus (http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm)

#4 overall in 3-pointers made, at 39% shooting

#1 in total steals

#2 in steals per game

In the running for defensive MVP and on the fringe of the discussion for regular season MVP. 

Has raised his season averages in points, steals and rebounds so far this season, leading the Thunder to contention at the top of the West, 

Now that Melo is no longer with the Thunder, PG is having an absolutely dominant, "MVP-level" year!