NBA Thread

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Didn't see Kawhi choosing Clippers....and I certainly didn't see Paul George getting traded last night. Pretty much shows what the OKC folks thought of the prospects of he and RW playing/working together. 

Master moves by Clippers getting this one done. 

Kawhi recruited PG and he asked the Thunder for the trade 

30 minutes ago, rico said:

Clippers the favorites in the West now?

I'd say so.  Not sure their depth and quality of bigs without looking but that backcourt defense.  The game changer could be, point guard LeBron.  Thing is they miffed this whole timing up and Khawi delaying, not a ton of quality left.  Will be interesting to see how the Lakers fill this thing out.  

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Clippers the favorites in the West now?

Hard to say -- it's the Wild West for sure -- Rockets will be right there, Nuggets may be the front runners, AD/LeBron/Kuzma depending on who else joins them and whether they stay healthy, Jazz look strong, Portland will be very good.

And now the Clippers with Kawhi and PG (that just a couple years or so removed from trading both CPIII and Griffin and now they're better). They lost Gallinari (and Gilgeous - Alexander who has a ton of upside). Clippers still have Lou Wiliams, Harrell, Beverly, Shamet (42% from the arc), J Green (40% from arc) and Zubac. That's pretty solid. If PG and Kawhi stay healthy they should be in immediate contention imo

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'd say so.  Not sure their depth and quality of bigs without looking but that backcourt defense.  The game changer could be, point guard LeBron.  Thing is they miffed this whole timing up and Khawi delaying, not a ton of quality left.  Will be interesting to see how the Lakers fill this thing out.  

Regarding the timing part of this deal, trade,etc....somewhere this morning Jerry West is smiling ear to ear and showing people why he's still the best in the business. The delay was strategy. The execution and timing was perfect. Lakers will still be really good (might still be the best) but these moves by Clippers were made to get the most and leave others scrambling. Jerry West folks.

To me draft picks (especially where they'll be getting them) have never been worth less.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You know, after PG had made a commitment to be in OKC, he could have said no to Kawhi.  Just don't like the way he (PG) operates at all.

You don't like PG, that's all. 

Look at Westbrook. Look at what he did in the playoffs. He is a "mercurial" guy for sure. PG is from Cali, that's where he want to go, then the Thunder recruited him hard to stay, he just had a MVP level season and gave it everything he had, including playing through two torn shoulders and still finishing 2nd overall in scoring and a finalist for defensive MVP. Operates? ok

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You know, after PG had made a commitment to be in OKC, he could have said no to Kawhi.  Just don't like the way he (PG) operates at all.

Pretty much standard for him. Until proven otherwise I don't think they'll win a title with him. He did what he did with Pacers, said yes to OKC, said no to Lakers, reaffirmed his stance in OKC....now headed to Clippers. His team/advisors have had a rough few years. 

• Like 1

And there will also be all sorts of questions raised about the future of the Thunder now. We all know that Sam Presti can make fantastic use of draft picks. But Russell Westbrook — one of the fiercest and most competitive athletes in the sport — is the lone star in Oklahoma City now, and on the front end of a five-year, $206 million contract. He’ll want to win now, but OKC may be on a different timeline post-George trade.

The reason: Oklahoma City got a massive return on George as far as future draft picks are concerned. The Clippers will send their unprotected 2022, 2024 and 2026 first-round picks to the Thunder, as well as an unprotected first-rounder in 2021 from Miami and a protected first-rounder from the Heat in 2023. (OKC will also get the right to swap picks with the Clippers in 2023 and 2025.) The Thunder should still be competitive and be a threat to reach the playoffs with this roster. Gallinari had a career year last season, averaging 20 points per game on highly efficient shooting. Gilgeous-Alexander, meanwhile, will help now and in the future with his skill on defense. But this is still a gut punch for Oklahoma City, which last summer thought it would get George for the long haul after he signed a long-term deal to stay with the Thunder. The obvious conundrum without George is that Westbrook may not be capable of leading a team to a title as its best player.

While Westbrook has remained the face of the organization, George clearly seemed to overtake him as the team’s best player, and as the franchise’s most sure-handed talent on both sides of the ball. Westbrook’s past season was already shaky in a number of ways, and in light of OKC’s second straight first-round exit, the level of scrutiny on the point guard only figures to intensify as time goes on. And the Thunder may not continue to show patience in finding out whether it’s possible to successfully build a team a contender around Westbrook.

Of course, this trade wasn’t something the Thunder wanted to do; not until the club was backed into a corner. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Leonard met with fellow Southern California native George this week, and implored him to force his way to the Clippers so that the two could team up. Short of that happening, Leonard almost certainly would not have signed with the Clippers on a four-year max deal.2

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kawhi-leonard-paul-george-and-the-clippers-stun-the-nba/#fn-2

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You don't like PG, that's all. 

Look at Westbrook. Look at what he did in the playoffs. He is a "mercurial" guy for sure. PG is from Cali, that's where he want to go, then the Thunder recruited him hard to stay, he just had a MVP level season and gave it everything he had, including playing through two torn shoulders and still finishing 2nd overall in scoring and a finalist for defensive MVP. Operates? ok

Never said PG didn't give Thunder his all.  And, I understand Westbrook is hard to play with.  But, he knew Westbrook was hard to play with before he recommitted.  

Since you have a strong dislike for Durant, let me ask you this.  How, exactly are Durant and George different in your eyes?  Durant plays hard, so that can't be your deciding factor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And there will also be all sorts of questions raised about the future of the Thunder now. We all know that Sam Presti can make fantastic use of draft picks. But Russell Westbrook — one of the fiercest and most competitive athletes in the sport — is the lone star in Oklahoma City now, and on the front end of a five-year, $206 million contract. He’ll want to win now, but OKC may be on a different timeline post-George trade.

The reason: Oklahoma City got a massive return on George as far as future draft picks are concerned. The Clippers will send their unprotected 2022, 2024 and 2026 first-round picks to the Thunder, as well as an unprotected first-rounder in 2021 from Miami and a protected first-rounder from the Heat in 2023. (OKC will also get the right to swap picks with the Clippers in 2023 and 2025.) The Thunder should still be competitive and be a threat to reach the playoffs with this roster. Gallinari had a career year last season, averaging 20 points per game on highly efficient shooting. Gilgeous-Alexander, meanwhile, will help now and in the future with his skill on defense. But this is still a gut punch for Oklahoma City, which last summer thought it would get George for the long haul after he signed a long-term deal to stay with the Thunder. The obvious conundrum without George is that Westbrook may not be capable of leading a team to a title as its best player.

While Westbrook has remained the face of the organization, George clearly seemed to overtake him as the team’s best player, and as the franchise’s most sure-handed talent on both sides of the ball. Westbrook’s past season was already shaky in a number of ways, and in light of OKC’s second straight first-round exit, the level of scrutiny on the point guard only figures to intensify as time goes on. And the Thunder may not continue to show patience in finding out whether it’s possible to successfully build a team a contender around Westbrook.

Of course, this trade wasn’t something the Thunder wanted to do; not until the club was backed into a corner. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Leonard met with fellow Southern California native George this week, and implored him to force his way to the Clippers so that the two could team up. Short of that happening, Leonard almost certainly would not have signed with the Clippers on a four-year max deal.2

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kawhi-leonard-paul-george-and-the-clippers-stun-the-nba/#fn-2

If I'm OKC this morning I have to figure out the direction of the franchise. Do they try and start over with so many picks like Boston did? Try to get rid of Westbrook and just do a major rebuild?? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I'm OKC this morning I have to figure out the direction of the franchise. Do they try and start over with so many picks like Boston did? Try to get rid of Westbrook and just do a major rebuild?? 

Getting rid of Westbrook is an interesting proposition...

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I were OKC I would be pn the phone trying to get more players and draft picks for Westbrook.  I don't think you will ever win the championship with Westbrook on your team.

43 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Never said PG didn't give Thunder his all.  And, I understand Westbrook is hard to play with.  But, he knew Westbrook was hard to play with before he recommitted.  

Since you have a strong dislike for Durant, let me ask you this.  How, exactly are Durant and George different in your eyes?  Durant plays hard, so that can't be your deciding factor.

You’re just conveniently glossing over that:

1) Bird traded away and lost every single player PG had played with and ruined that P’s team

2) PG wanted back to LA, where he’s from

3) Despite that and being traded to the Thunder by the P’s - who then did well in that trade, PG didn’t give the Lakers an interview and took the deal the Thunder gave him, opting to stay and try to push for a championship with Westbrook 

4) But Westbrook returned to the Jack every bad shot up player (in fairness maybe due in part to PG’s injuries) and dived out of the first round, again — chances of winning with a Westbrook- questionable 

and so, after playing at an MVP level and giving it everything he had, and

5) After being recruited by Kawhi (unexpected and not sought out), he is returning to LA with the ability to shoot for a championship.

Guys who have now left Westbrook:

Harden, Durant, PG. 

and Durant ran away to join the team he couldn’t beat in the Warriors and actively made that happen — then he left a team his bad attitude and me-first ball demands turned into bad chemistry to join the Nets. Apples and oranges 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If I were OKC I would be pn the phone trying to get more players and draft picks for Westbrook.  I don't think you will ever win the championship with Westbrook on your team.

That could well be in the works, they can compete now, but thus looks like steps toward a future without Westbrook whether sooner or later 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Knicks or Charlotte sound like horrible decision making candidates.  Maybe the suns.  They have some nice young pieces.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

I don’t know that you can win when it matters with Westbrook. Getting somebody to bite on his contract could be a challenge.  I think he’s got a 40 handle on his salary soon.  

I like that Kawhi did his own thing, even if it’s with George, instead of following around Lebron like many other sheep. 

At least OKC liquidated George for something.  Between New Orleans and OKC, it will be interesting if those picks turn into something down the line, e.g., where an injury bamboozles a season, etc  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Difference between Paul George and Kevin Durant

• Kevin Durant was a free agent both times he moved.
  • Paul George was under contract and forced a trade both times he moved

One seems worse than the other.  

I guess at least PG allowed his previous teams to cash in off of him.  I used to love Durant.  Video of what he did to help tornado victims shows what a quality human being he can be.

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Difference between Paul George and Kevin Durant

• Kevin Durant was a free agent both times he moved.
  • Paul George was under contract and forced a trade both times he moved

One seems worse than the other.  

Seems to me that neither one of them are ever happy where they are at?

• Like 1

Without trying to sound hidebound, I’m not crazy about the players huddling and jiggering the rosters.  I feel bad for the kid clutching his jersey of his favorite “home grown” player who moves on to team up with somebody else like they are all dudes picking sides at the HPER.  I like the traditional team building, which is more interesting to me.  

At least in the current configuration, we have about ten good teams and should have some good wars in the playoffs.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2