Declaring for pros....

19 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Still a pretty damn good living though.  For comparison, Shane Larkin is pulling in $1.7M USD net (after taxes) in Greece.

On a side dad Mr Barry Larkin IIRC was one of the highest paid players in 1992 or so when he signed for roughly 5.1 M a year. That seems like forever ago

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Still a pretty damn good living though.  For comparison, Shane Larkin is pulling in $1.7M USD net (after taxes) in Greece.

Which begs the question.....Why don't more American ballers follow this route?

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Which begs the question.....Why don't more American ballers follow this route?

I don't have any idea on what the average pay is but I always believed most were substantially less but hey I would play for 50K drive the bus and wash uniforms if it meant I had the opportunity to keep playing.  That why I played in the rec leagues and got nothing but injuries for it. 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't have any idea on what the average pay is but I always believed most were substantially less but hey I would play for 50K drive the bus and wash uniforms if it meant I had the opportunity to keep playing.  That why I played in the rec leagues and got nothing but injuries for it. 

A lot of times it is less, but in some cases, they play a lot fewer games.  Regular season in China is 58 games. 

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Does anybody remember Emmanuel Mudiay?  He signed to go to SMU, but instead chose to play professionally in China.  Never played a college game but signed a $1.2 million, 1 year contract.  Not too shabby.  

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

A lot of times it is less, but in some cases, they play a lot fewer games.  Regular season in China is 58 games. 

My friend's son played in Germany.  He made 6 figures and his house and car were supplied.

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

It's all a guess for me, but lots of guys at the end of the first round are gambles.  The surefire pros are long gone by that time.  Most mocks show him late first to early 2nd round.  This mock has Edwards going to the team I actually think he might fit:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/2019-nba-mock-draft-60-wrapping-ncaa-tournament#slide-36

ESPN has him at #25:

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

#28:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2829216-2019-nba-mock-draft-updated-1st-round-predictions-before-ncaa-championship

Lowest I see him mocked #46:

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

This one doesn't actually list Edwards:

https://www.draftsite.com/nba/mock-draft/2019/

I think his ceiling is Monta Ellis. Floor is never really makes it/plays.

I don't think it's official yet, but saw a tweet that it looks like Jaylon Smith is staying for another year at Maryland. Big news for UMD. They'll most likely lose Fernando, but having both Cowan and Smith back is a solid group, and should help them avoid a big collapse. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't think it's official yet, but saw a tweet that it looks like Jaylon Smith is staying for another year at Maryland. Big news for UMD. They'll most likely lose Fernando, but having both Cowan and Smith back is a solid group, and should help them avoid a big collapse. 

To me Smith is way to skinny to think about going to the NBA

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

No doubt. I was not disparaging playing in Europe. Hell of a lot more fun of a job than I had in my twenties.  Many of the leagues and players are more in the 80-250k range but, as you note, a few of the more prestigious leagues pay a lot more.

Even with Carsen Edwards And Cline pee yew

lost Three more games this season than they lost the previous season ! They will Lose more than ten games in 2019-2020 , imho . P.S.,those of you who have good memories will remember  that I predicted that they would not win as  many games this season before this season started !!

37 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Jalen Brunson was an early 2nd round pick and got a 4 year deal starting at 1.2 mil per year. What is wrong with being a 2nd round pick?

Contract's not guaranteed, money is significantly less. There are plenty of guys who have become stars despite being second-rounders (just think of Manu, drafted in the 50s), but it is much, much safer to be a first-rounder.

7 hours ago, cybergates said:

I think his ceiling is Monta Ellis. Floor is never really makes it/plays.

Monta is 6’3, though.  He’s got to have 5-6 inches on him.  Kyle Lowry is 6’0.

i could see him as a scorer, ideally with a taller point around him.  It’s tough to be tiny and not be a facilitator. 

16 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Contract's not guaranteed, money is significantly less. There are plenty of guys who have become stars despite being second-rounders (just think of Manu, drafted in the 50s), but it is much, much safer to be a first-rounder.

I understand all that with non guaranteed deals.   Maybe 10-15 years ago it didn't work out much for 2nd round picks.  Now, many of these 2nd round picks that get cut cut often find new contracts fairly quick.  Ray Spalding was a late 2nd.  Mavs cut him and paid him 847k to open up a roster spot in Porzingus trade. Not sure why they didn't cut JJ.  Anyway, Suns scooped Spalding up and gave him a 2 year deal starting next year around 1.5 mil per year.  I understand that is not guaranteed but my guess if he is cut someone will sign him.  2nd round contracts do not seem so scary.  It just seems the landscape has changed quite a bit with extra opportunities out there.  And it works both ways.  What if you stay and do not move up your draft stock? 

38 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Monta is 6’3, though.  He’s got to have 5-6 inches on him.  Kyle Lowry is 6’0.

i could see him as a scorer, ideally with a taller point around him.  It’s tough to be tiny and not be a facilitator. 

There’s no way Edwards is 5’9/5’10.  He’s listed at 6’1.

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Interesting. He’s so compact, I thought he was sub six foot.

Monta is not compact like that.  

Would be interesting to see him on the court with Yogi... I bet they’re around the same size.  Edwards might be slightly bigger.

56 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Would be interesting to see him on the court with Yogi... I bet they’re around the same size.  Edwards might be slightly bigger.

I'd bet money Edwards is taller. Yogi is listed at 6', which is bull Schenectady...lol.

Neither one is tall by NBA standards, but I'd give Edwards 2 inches over Yogi.

Archived