IU Baseball's Jeff Mercer on Knight's Appearance: It Brought Tears

Awesome read. Thank you.

I have to throw this in there just from a significance perspective...

Other than honest to goodness life and death tragedies, IU losing to Kentucky in the 1975 Mideast regional final is probably the darkest day in my personal history.

You know this is completely dumb because after all this is just a game, but I agree, Mercer gets "IT".  I think we are missing part of what so many of us grew up with and that is what causes so much angst in the fanbase.

It is not just the divorce in the family, it was what happened afterward.  There was a movement among the leadership who were not native to this state who just did not get "IT".  We are more similar to those people to the south than many of us like to admit.  The IU basketball program was woven into the fabric of this state.  You wear an IU shirt out of state and it is a pretty regular thing to get asked about Bob Knight...still...even 20 years later.  But it was more than that, it was a matter of pride.  Every Hoosier that I grew up with had the idea that basketball is OUR game.  Having some pencil neck like Myles Brand decide that we just are not going to do that anymore was a slap to the face.  "We are not letting one guy get bigger than the program anymore."  Idiots, the entire lot of them.  The game of basketball is not just a game in this state, it is part of the fabric of the state.  Yeah, we are not a flashy state and you may have trouble finding us on a map but by God the rest of the U.S., you are going to know us when we run your a$$ right off this b-ball court.

That is what we lost.  I hope we can get Coach Knight in the Hall.  Let's try and heal these wounds and get back to a point where we have a reason to be just as arrogant as the those on the wrong side of the Ohio River.  This is OUR game, time to start acting like it again.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You know this is completely dumb because after all this is just a game, but I agree, Mercer gets "IT".  I think we are missing part of what so many of us grew up with and that is what causes so much angst in the fanbase.

It is not just the divorce in the family, it was what happened afterward.  There was a movement among the leadership who were not native to this state who just did not get "IT".  We are more similar to those people to the south than many of us like to admit.  The IU basketball program was woven into the fabric of this state.  You wear an IU shirt out of state and it is a pretty regular thing to get asked about Bob Knight...still...even 20 years later.  But it was more than that, it was a matter of pride.  Every Hoosier that I grew up with had the idea that basketball is OUR game.  Having some pencil neck like Myles Brand decide that we just are not going to do that anymore was a slap to the face.  "We are not letting one guy get bigger than the program anymore."  Idiots, the entire lot of them.  The game of basketball is not just a game in this state, it is part of the fabric of the state.  Yeah, we are not a flashy state and you may have trouble finding us on a map but by God the rest of the U.S., you are going to know us when we run your a$$ right off this b-ball court.

That is what we lost.  I hope we can get Coach Knight in the Hall.  Let's try and heal these wounds and get back to a point where we have a reason to be just as arrogant as the those on the wrong side of the Ohio River.  This is OUR game, time to start acting like it again.

Dr James Naismith agrees with you

In 1936, Dr. James Naismith, basketball’s inventor, attended the Indiana high school championship game between Frankfort and Fort Wayne Central.  In his first exposure to Hoosier Hysteria, he recalled that the sight of the stadium “packed with fifteen thousand people, gave me a thrill I shall not soon forget.”  During his visit, Naismith told an Indianapolis audience: “Basketball really had its beginning in Indiana which remains today the center of the sport.”  Expanding upon this comment, Naismith associated Indiana’s national distinction in basketball with the popularity and success of the state high school basketball tournament.

Archived