Morel Mushrooms

rico

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I happened to run into a farmer I know this afternoon, and he said the soil temp around us was 45 degrees today.  With another 70+ day in store for tomorrow, and the extended forecast only showing one day below 61, it looks like it should be getting really close to being morel season here.

The darn Facebook site I linked earlier usually updates every 2-3 days, and it is starting to get close to my county and they haven't updated in 3 days!  I keep refreshing lol.

Where do you live?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rico said:

Be careful they don't rot.

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Or get picked. 

I definitely wouldn't leave a bunch of them, and the area I'll be going won't have anybody else there.  We're good family friends with the guy who owns it, and he doesn't go out looking and doesn't let people out there.  My parents property butts right up to it, so he doesn't care if we go out and do whatever we want out there.

1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

I found some out in a cow pasture took them home and cooked them up for dinner and then i started seeing weird $h*t and dont really remember much about  the evening...you ever have that happen from a morel...🤪😂

No, lol...............and I an keeping my mouth shut.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

That too.  They do grow in my yard, I have tracked them from time to time as far as growth.  More often than not they shrink.  

We hunted public ground mostly or wouldnt be able to get out soon enough to leave any so it was pick'em all.

Also, my grandpa said they would pop up overnight and if I talked too much or too loud they would go back in the ground. I think he just wanted me to shut up.🤔

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

We hunted public ground mostly or wouldnt be able to get out soon enough to leave any so it was pick'em all.

Also, my grandpa said they would pop up overnight and if I talked too much or too loud they would go back in the ground. I think he just wanted me to shut up.🤔

Need to be quiet on public ground for sure.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I definitely wouldn't leave a bunch of them, and the area I'll be going won't have anybody else there.  We're good family friends with the guy who owns it, and he doesn't go out looking and doesn't let people out there.  My parents property butts right up to it, so he doesn't care if we go out and do whatever we want out there.

That's a pretty good deal. Hard to come by anymore. 

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

That's a pretty good deal. Hard to come by anymore. 

It is really nice to have.  We're in the heart of farm country, so it is pretty sparsely populated, and there's a decently wooded creek that winds through our area.  Plenty of woods to go around to the few people who want to use them.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

That's not too far away.  Highway 24 is a little south of Rensselear, and runs east/west, right through the town I teach in.  3 towns across the Illinois border.

Better get out......he found all black ones.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Better get out......he found all black ones.

Unfortunately I don't know if I'll have time for a few more days.  I sometimes paint houses on the side and got a job that will pay $1500 for 2-3 days of work, so I'm going to be doing that all day Friday and Saturday.  I'm going to try to get out of work quick in the next couple days to make it out.  Couldn't pass up that kind of money for some morels.  Maybe if they were truffles!

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Unfortunately I don't know if I'll have time for a few more days.  I sometimes paint houses on the side and got a job that will pay $1500 for 2-3 days of work, so I'm going to be doing that all day Friday and Saturday.  I'm going to try to get out of work quick in the next couple days to make it out.  Couldn't pass up that kind of money for some morels.  Maybe if they were truffles!

Do what you gotta do......my mushroom mobile is leaving here at 8 AM sharp!

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I usually get to work around 7:30, and leave around 4:00, so I'm going to try to go tomorrow after work.  But I also have to go get paint which is a 45 minute drive each way.

Good luck!!!

TY........and may the "Mushroom Gods" be smiling on you.

31 minutes ago, rico said:

TY........and may the "Mushroom Gods" be smiling on you.

Ran into a Jamaican guy who called himself the "Mushroom God" once. Next thing I remember, I woke up in a Manitoba forest with a moose licking me in the face, while wearing one sneaker and a black evening gown. Got a notice in the mail a week later saying permanently barred from entering the country of Belize.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Ran into a Jamaican guy who called himself the "Mushroom God" once. Next thing I remember, I woke up in a Manitoba forest with a moose licking me in the face, while wearing one sneaker and a black evening gown. Got a notice in the mail a week later saying permanently barred from entering the country of Belize.

Word to the wise......stay away from Eddy Grant.

Quick question. I was at a party Saturday where morel mushrooms were an item you could put on your make it own pizza. Maybe it was how they were prepared, maybe it was where they came from (Market District) but I guess I was expecting more. Is it purely supply/demand of how popular or pricey they are? Or perhaps someone could share (in spirit of other food thread) a simple yet tasty way to prepare to get the full experience.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick question. I was at a party Saturday where morel mushrooms were an item you could put on your make it own pizza. Maybe it was how they were prepared, maybe it was where they came from (Market District) but I guess I was expecting more. Is it purely supply/demand of how popular or pricey they are? Or perhaps someone could share (in spirit of other food thread) a simple yet tasty way to prepare to get the full experience.

It think its a combination of supply demand and demand for a product people don't know how or where to find. And the season is short and in some places there will be scarcity.

As for cooking, I do an egg wash then dredge once in seasoned flour and fry in oil. I really think they need some texture to bring out their flavors. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I love mushrooms as a pizza topping.  Rarely if ever see morel's as a pizza topping.  You experienced a rare event, IMHO.

Talking about toppings.  Not morels. But just regular mushrooms bought in the grocery store.  A great topping for a grilled steak.

Superb Sauteed Mushrooms Recipe

44 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It think its a combination of supply demand and demand for a product people don't know how or where to find. And the season is short and in some places there will be scarcity.

As for cooking, I do an egg wash then dredge once in seasoned flour and fry in oil. I really think they need some texture to bring out their flavors. 

That’s how I cook them except I use butter instead of oil. Sometimes I just use all purpose flour and no egg

Archived