Devonte Declares for NBA

Well, let the speculation begin.  Didn't the entire uk team a few years ago declare?  Really it's a bit of a joke.  Everyone that can should declare.  Pretty sure a Michigan State ball boy declared a few years back.  

Speculative, is he about to graduate?  Go pro anyway possible.  A lot of ways to play ball for money out there these days.  He did come into school under the Tom Crean graduate in 3 train of thought.  

His dad gave an interview, said they realize he’s not going to get drafted this year and he just wants to go through the process.  Also said that one of Devonte’s main goals is to help IU get back to the tournament next year, so they’re saying the right things at least.

5 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

His dad gave an interview, said they realize he’s not going to get drafted this year and he just wants to go through the process.  Also said that one of Devonte’s main goals is to help IU get back to the tournament next year, so they’re saying the right things at least.

Thanks, there you have it. He could talk to me and save himself a lot of time. lol. Or maybe listen to the coaching staff he plays for.

1 minute ago, Officer Obie said:

Juwan declared a year ago. I did too. Neither of us got drafted. 

I'm looking forward to Devonte as a senior at IU. We'll need him.

I threw my hat into the ring as well.  Unfortunately all I got was 10 day contract selling peanuts at Mad Ants games.  Didn't even make it to halftime in my first game when I pulled a hammy.  I immediately retired.  Still waiting on that back pay from the concession workers union.

12 hours ago, Indykev said:

Ok , I see this in the other thread but I think this needs its own thread. Everyone is guessing he is just getting info.....What if he isn't and goes GL or Over seas? The dude is the most unhappy kid i've seen at IU in a long time.

Seems to me fans are always unhappy with him. Even when he plays well, people still attack him. I think he got way better the last month of the season. He was the least passive and most aggressive player on both ends. I understand his passing drives people crazy, but when he started reigning that in, he was very affective. His injury and suspension really hurt this year's team. If he truly is some sort of locker room cancer, I don't think he'd still be on the team. Through all this negativity and rumor mongering, he's still a Hoosier, so I am pulling for the guy. And who gives a s*** if these guys get evaluated by NBA scouts and coaches? Don't you want them to get better? 

I don't know what the process is or if there could be a better process but I think it is silly these guys have to declare just to gather information from NBA people.  Is this an NBA thing or an NCAA thing?  I understand for those who get camp invites but Devonte is probably not getting invited to any NBA camps.  Do these players still show up for camps to gather information in interviews or is there another avenue? 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Seems to me fans are always unhappy with him. Even when he plays well, people still attack him. I think he got way better the last month of the season. He was the least passive and most aggressive player on both ends. I understand his passing drives people crazy, but when he started reigning that in, he was very affective. His injury and suspension really hurt this year's team. If he truly is some sort of locker room cancer, I don't think he'd still be on the team. Through all this negativity and rumor mongering, he's still a Hoosier, so I am pulling for the guy. And who gives a s*** if these guys get evaluated by NBA scouts and coaches? Don't you want them to get better? 

Speaking only for myself, he's just frustrating.  He can play well and did for a short stretch at the end of the season - but he's shown flashes of it in the past.  Archie said prior to the season that DG had learned and understood he had to play under control, but was erratic in that regard for much of the season.  I know there are some that just don't believe in him or that he will ever eliminate the "bad" play, but some of us are just wondering if/when this transformation will occur.  At this point, his consistent play is crucial to our success next season.

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Speaking only for myself, he's just frustrating.  He can play well and did for a short stretch at the end of the season - but he's shown flashes of it in the past.  Archie said prior to the season that DG had learned and understood he had to play under control, but was erratic in that regard for much of the season.  I know there are some that just don't believe in him or that he will ever eliminate the "bad" play, but some of us are just wondering if/when this transformation will occur.  At this point, his consistent play is crucial to our success next season.

The silver lining is that he finished up this past season strong. His college career really reminds me of Verdell Jones; frustrating and inconsistent but he did ultimately turn the corner. However, that didn't happen unitl VJIII's senior year. Yes, VJ's role diminished that year with the emergence of Hulls, VO and CWat, but he was effective and dependable.

I think the key for Devonte is settling into a role where he feels like he can play more instinctively vs. methodically - let RP run the offense and make a majority of the decisions so Devonte can do what he does best. This, IMHO, will be the main challenge for both him and Archie.  

• KDB changed the title to DeVonte Declares for NBA
31 minutes ago, rico said:

So Neptune is the equivalent of Poseidon?  And Mars = what Greek God?  And I have no idea about Uranus?  

Mars is the God of war. Work a crossword puzzle. It won't kill you.  😀

* Edit - Ares is the correct name for the Greek God of war. Thanks Zlinedavid. I was thinking Roman.

Archived