Devonte Declares for NBA

10 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Speaking only for myself, he's just frustrating.  He can play well and did for a short stretch at the end of the season - but he's shown flashes of it in the past.  Archie said prior to the season that DG had learned and understood he had to play under control, but was erratic in that regard for much of the season.  I know there are some that just don't believe in him or that he will ever eliminate the "bad" play, but some of us are just wondering if/when this transformation will occur.  At this point, his consistent play is crucial to our success next season.

I fundamentally disagree with Devonte being too erratic or that he even plays out of control. I hate the good/bad Devonte talk just like I hated it for Troy. They are both imperfect players who's styles are misunderstood and wildly underappreciated. 

Let me run some math by you guys. There's 71 possessions in a game, which is important here in a second. Let's compare two players and two styles. You have Rob who plays under control and makes the safe / smart play and Devonte who is erratic and supposedly volatile. Please don't get caught up on Rob and just focus on Devonte. It's not a one or the other anyway, just a style comparison and hopefully shedding more light on what Devonte does well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We played 16 games vs "A" level teams. We went 4-11 with Rob and 4-8 with Devonte.

Rob: 394 minutes (26.3 per game), 6.3 ppg on 29% shooting. 33 assists / 18 TO's. 

DG: 280 minutes (23.3 per game), 8.8 ppg on 41% shooting. 32 assists / 33 TO's.

Rob scores a point every 4.2 minutes and Devonte 2.7.

Rob assists every 11.9 minutes and Devonte every 8.8.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

71 possessions per game / 40 minutes = 1.775 possessions per minute.

Rob = 699 possessions / 18 TO's.

Devonte = 497 possessions / 33 TO's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You get better shooting, you get better scoring, you get better assisting, you get your opponents uncomfortable, and you also get super MOMENTUM when 'your erratic' play starts cooking...like OSU....like MSU twice...like illinois. 

All of it is a big, big deal. The payment is 33 wasted possessions out of 467!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S NOT EVEN 33 BECAUSE TO's OCCUR NATURALLY AS WELL! 

There's 4589 scholarship players in D1 and Devonte ranks 261 at Assist rate. He ranks 164th in three point shooting %. THAT'S SUPER ELITE.

Put some respect on Devonte's name and let the boy play!

Edit: It's also a myth that he disappears often. He's not a world beater so he has the bad game at the same rate as anyone else would! Check the record! 

9 minutes ago, JWoolsey said:

I fundamentally disagree with Devonte being too erratic or that he even plays out of control. I hate the good/bad Devonte talk just like I hated it for Troy. They are both imperfect players who's styles are misunderstood and wildly underappreciated. 

Let me run some math by you guys. There's 71 possessions in a game, which is important here in a second. Let's compare two players and two styles. You have Rob who plays under control and makes the safe / smart play and Devonte who is erratic and supposedly volatile. Please don't get caught up on Rob and just focus on Devonte. It's not a one or the other anyway, just a style comparison and hopefully shedding more light on what Devonte does well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We played 16 games vs "A" level teams. We went 4-11 with Rob and 4-8 with Devonte.

Rob: 394 minutes (26.3 per game), 6.3 ppg on 29% shooting. 33 assists / 18 TO's. 

You get better shooting, you get better scoring, you get better assisting, you get your opponents uncomfortable, and you also get super MOMENTUM when 'your erratic' play starts cooking...like OSU....like MSU twice...like illinois. 

All of it is a big, big deal. The payment is 33 wasted possessions out of 467!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S NOT EVEN 33 BECAUSE TO's OCCUR NATURALLY AS WELL! 

There's 4589 scholarship players in D1 and Devonte ranks 261 at Assist rate. He ranks 164th in three point shooting %. THAT'S SUPER ELITE.

Edit: It's also a myth that he disappears often. He's not a world beater so he has the bad game at the same rate as anyone else would! Check the record! 

Appreciate your passion and all the work you do with your research. 

Two points I would make for your consideration though:

- Devonte has two years experience over Rob and should be more productive. He has been through the rigors of a long season now 3 times. Rob was experiencing it for the first time.

- In my opinion, much of the criticism directed towards Devonte had to do with attitude, and the appearance that he was disconnected from much of the rest of the team. 

31 minutes ago, JWoolsey said:

tenor.gif

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Appreciate your passion and all the work you do with your research. 

Two points I would make for your consideration though:

- Devonte has two years experience over Rob and should be more productive. He has been through the rigors of a long season now 3 times. Rob was experiencing it for the first time.

- In my opinion, much of the criticism directed towards Devonte had to do with attitude, and the appearance that he was disconnected from much of the rest of the team. 

I'm having a ton of fun with it at the moment. Mostly because I fundamentally disagree with a lot of what Archie is doing on the offensive end so it's more directed towards him rather than Rob (who's going to be outstanding btw). I love the ideologies and philosophies behind each style of play. There's sooo many ways to win and a big part of the fun for me is figuring out the ones that I really respect and that I think are ahead of the curve as well as those that I think are flawed and full of mistakes. It's an added element that keeps you engaged and also gives you a rooting interest. Throw in data analysis for a deeper look and extra element of fun.

When you've played around with that stuff for a good while you'll start to form opinions and ideas on things that should be working that coaches aren't doing or things coaches are doing that aren't working. Nova is the wet dream and perfect example of why playing around with data works and how dreaming big in theory can become possible in reality. It's mind blowing how good they were...truly is. The data behind Michigan/John Beilein is also really beautiful and you can see why they've done so well....stuff like that is what it's all about regarding the data play. Obviously, some styles completely offend me as well :) 

Another part of the game for me is being opinionated and finding out if the things that I think will work are working and vice versa. It's supposed to keep you on top of the game and tests yourself. I've done that with myself for a long time...which is great in my head but comes off arrogant in here. Not what I'm looking to do...it's the theory / discussion /feedback that I'd really prefer.

Obviously I had issues with Archie beforehand and these two seasons saw those issues play out in pretty much 'worst case scenarios'. Ironically enough I think I'm about as optimistic as I've ever been. For one, I'm just some amateur and I might not even be right about the things that I made educated guesses on so those 'mistakes' might not even be mistakes. Two, that defense is incredible and I completely overlooked and underrated it. Three, if they are mistakes then if there's ever a time for him to adjust and get better then it's now. Four, even if he doesn't change he'll only get better and we're trending upwards.

Basketball, game theory, big data, passionate fan base...it's a perfect cocktail for me!

I really like what you said regarding the bold part..stuff like that I completely tune out and just goes to show how little I really know in the grand scheme of it all and how much I can learn from you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Anyone close to Devonte that might know if he is just getting info or if there is more to his testing the waters. We would be super thin at guard if he was to leave.

I think it's already been said that Devonte is just getting info. 

Archived