Darrion Brooks-2023

rico

Listening to Todd Leary on his radio show and he said every player he played with at one time or the other talked about transferring.  I have heard that Damon Bailey was close to transferring so it shows that even great players think about leaving.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So when other programs cheat to get players then you think it is alright for IU to do the same.

That's not the argument BGleas is making at all. This is about fans acting like fans, not about cheating.

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So when other programs cheat to get players then you think it is alright for IU to do the same.

It's apples and oranges. A cheating program is a small subset of people (coaches, maybe the AD, etc.) in a chosen profession behaving inappropriately for personal gain. A fan base contains hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of different types of people. Fans are essentially unrelated people other than their aligned fandom and you're going to have good people, bad people, calm rational people, hothead type of people... all different types of people from all different types of backgrounds. 

There's no secret fan meeting where IU fans as an entity can agree to how they'll behave. It's not realistic. The people that make up IU fans are the same people that make up any other schools fans, except they went to a different school or grew up in a different area. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's apples and oranges. A cheating program is a small subset of people (coaches, maybe the AD, etc.) in a chosen profession behaving inappropriately for personal gain. A fan base contains hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of different types of people. Fans are essentially unrelated people other than their aligned fandom and you're going to have good people, bad people, calm rational people, hothead type of people... all different types of people from all different types of backgrounds. 

There's no secret fan meeting where IU fans as an entity can agree to how they'll behave. It's not realistic. The people that make up IU fans are the same people that make up any other schools fans, except they went to a different school or grew up in a different area. 

I understand the critiquing of the coaching and playing but when it becomes personal is when I have a problem with it.  When fans tell Collin he is not good enough and shouldn't have a scholarship that to me is over the line.  Saying Romeo was bad and did not do anything last year is what I have a problem with.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I understand the critiquing of the coaching and playing but when it becomes personal is when I have a problem with it.  When fans tell Collin he is not good enough and shouldn't have a scholarship that to me is over the line.  Saying Romeo was bad and did not do anything last year is what I have a problem with.

Completely agree. It's ridiculous, especially coming from adults. But unfortunately, there's literally zero way to stop it and it happens in every single fanbase at this level. When you're talking millions of people, you can't stop humans from being human. It's unfortunately just part of the deal. 

The only part I really disagree with you is that it impacts IU any more than any other school. 

55 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Listening to Todd Leary on his radio show and he said every player he played with at one time or the other talked about transferring.  I have heard that Damon Bailey was close to transferring so it shows that even great players think about leaving.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. In my four years playing college basketball at the D2 level I had several teammates transfer. I had a teammate just take a year off from basketball because he couldn't handle the pressure and then he came back to the team a year later. He didn't redshirt, he just quit basketball for a year. I had a teammate transfer out and then realize he made a mistake and transfer back to our school, though he wasn't on the team again. Guys always discussed this stuff. 

Going into my senior year I was a 3-year starter that averaged 30 mpg my entire career. I planned to transfer because I was unhappy. After thinking about it more, I decided that after 3 years of making friends, loving the school and having an apartment with two of my best friends that I didn't want to "start over" for just one last year of college, so I decided I was going to just quit my senior year and be a regular student. 

It took my Dad having two of my uncles sit me down on a family vacation that summer and convince me that I would regret quitting for the rest of my life for me to commit to coming back to play my senior year. (Edit: They were right, I would have regretted it forever)

We didn't have to deal with anything near what someone the caliber of IU would have to deal with. I'm sure every single player, except maybe the 1 or 2 and done guys, contemplates transferring at some point. 

2 hours ago, goonaha said:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/05/05/q-a-former-indiana-forward-collin-hartman-part-two/

ITH: On Romeo’s season … to this day if I tweet something about him, there will be a certain set of comments I’ll get that say he was a bust … I don’t know if it is just because the expectations were ridiculous, but do you think any of that is unfair? The way people, in a lot of ways, kind of ripped him for how he played at IU. The dude averaged 16 points with a torn ligament in his wrist. What did you think about that, especially as someone who is from Indiana, to see how some fans bailed on him?

Hartman: That’s the Indiana fanbase, in my opinion. You’ve got a bunch of people who never played the game, especially at this level. And you got a lot of people who didn’t even go to the university. That’s what makes Indiana fans so great is they are so passionate. But they are also very irrational. You have to put it in perspective. This kid is 18 years old. The thing is, he’s so young and when you get put on a pedestal like that and you have such high expectations and the stress … when fans turn their TV off, the game is over. But the dude still has to live with whatever the result was. He’s gotta go back to his dorm room. Not an apartment, not living on his own … he goes to a dorm room because he’s an 18 year old kid.

My freshman year, I almost transferred because the Indiana fanbase said I was a wasted scholarship, I didn’t deserve my scholarship, I shouldn’t be here, I’m worthless … I internalized that stuff as a freshman because I didn’t know any better. And my sophomore year on, I didn’t care what the fans thought or said. Because none of them had been in my shoes, ever. I stopped reading your guy’s (message) boards because people would comment and say whatever. I stopped reading all of that stuff. Because none of it was positive.

And so as a kid, it is hard to stay off of those platforms and it’s hard to not internalize those things because you are not emotionally mature enough to do it yet. I was blessed and lucky enough to have a support system that reinforced that I belonged there and that I could do it and that I was doing the right things and that it was going to take time. A lot of kids don’t have that.

Think about it this way. I always ask IU fans, do you have kids? Just imagine if you had thousands and thousands of people just destroying that person’s personal identity not just as a player, but them as a person. Destroying them on the most public of platforms, how would you feel for that person? It’s hard because people are irrational and don’t understand that. Yes, you can be passionate, but you have to be passionate in the right way. You can be critical, but you have to be critical in the right way. You can’t just throw out insults and throw out irrational comments when you have nothing to back it up. And you have no perspective because you are not in their day-to-day.

Even you guys in the media room have more perspective because you are at least talking to the coaches and having interviews with us. You guys turn off the recorders and we have a personal relationship like I do with you and Zach (Osterman) and Kyle (Neddenriep) and all of those guys, it’s different. You guys know us on more of a personal level than fans do. So they don’t understand that kids read that stuff. And they take it to heart. And their parents take it to heart and it pisses them off, too. And it really accomplishes nothing.

Because I’m going to tell you right now, all of these fans tweeting at the coaches tweeting at the coaches saying ‘you need to play so and so,’ they’re not reading that. (Laughing.) Coach Miller is getting paid a lot of money. Do you think he’s not going to do his best? Do you think he’s going to listen to some guy on some message board or tweeting him that’s never played the game before at this level? Do you think he’s going to listen to that? No. So you are literally wasting words. Wasting your time and energy and all of that. I just think it is comical that people think they’re going to make a difference by doing that. All you are doing is bringing negative energy to the program, the players, to the coaching staff, everything. You’re not accomplishing anything. I always thought it was comical how people truly think they’re making a difference when you say things like that. It’s not for the better, that’s for sure.

I'm glad to see Colin unload on the idiot segment of the fanbase.  Unfortunately, that segment also includes pretenders from other fanbases.  I recently unmasked two idiots in a Facebook group mouthing off about TJD.  Turns out one was a Purdue fan (who promptly removed his comments when I unmasked him) and the other was a mouthy Michigan fan who kept going for awhile...bragging about their top 5 incoming recruiting class.  He got shut up when their prize recruit opted for the G-league instead.

So much easier to unmask the imposters on Facebook, but I'd bet they are on most forums badmouthing teams they pretend to be a fan of.  Nice to see Colin figured out how to shut them out.  I'd bet money OSU fans are a big part of the reason DJ Carton transferred.

I know it’s impossible to keep players off social media but it would be for the best. It’s why I don’t do anything on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and anything else I don’t even know about that is out there today. This message board and the Colts one is it....and that’s mostly for news and to follow the games. These kids parents should really help them out by having them take their social media down once they sign up for major basketball....the negativity of the internet is amazing. Just not worth it imo but I know to these young kids is like air to them.

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know it’s impossible to keep players off social media but it would be for the best. It’s why I don’t do anything on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and anything else I don’t even know about that is out there today. This message board and the Colts one is it....and that’s mostly for news and to follow the games. These kids parents should really help them out by having them take their social media down once they sign up for major basketball....the negativity of the internet is amazing. Just not worth it imo but I know to these young kids is like air to them.

It gives every peon an opinion, myself included. I’ve never, never tweeted, messaged, or downgraded a player directly. Have I bitched about em during a game? Guilty! Part of 2020, but after reading Colin Hartmans interview on ITH, it put in perspective. 

since I am a teacher and high school assistant, I will improve in the future. Not that I’m bad. But I just want #iubb to be back!

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

The new IU players and their parents are advised to shut down social media before the season.  Some listen, some don't.  It would have to be hard to not peek and see what people are saying about you or your kids.

While I respect what Hartman is saying, the whole conversation is pointless in my opinion.  Every fan base has idiots, and the more passionate the fan base, the more idiots.  Social media gives those idiots a platform. It sucks, but nothing we do or say is going to change that.

8 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

The new IU players and their parents are advised to shut down social media before the season.  Some listen, some don't.  It would have to be hard to not peek and see what people are saying about you or your kids.

While I respect what Hartman is saying, the whole conversation is pointless in my opinion.  Every fan base has idiots, and the more passionate the fan base, the more idiots.  Social media gives those idiots a platform. It sucks, but nothing we do or say is going to change that.

That's kind of where I'm at. IU (and everything it entails) isn't for everyone. Bigger stage, notoriety,etc....comes with some downside too. In all walks of life. If that's something you or your family can't handle....move along.

13 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I believe you are right, but I guess the optimistic side of me wants to believe that the more we read things like this, the less acceptable such behavior seems.  I believe the OSU fanbase played a part in DJ Carton leaving, although I think he's a bit naive to think another school will be significantly different.

It's a fruitless battle it seems, but I'm going to continue calling out such behavior when I see it in the IU fanbase.

15 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Oh I agree. I stopped my Facebook to only immediate family members because I got sick of the negativity I got on there. It’s sad the internet can be a great thing but unfortunately people control it and well people aren’t inheriently good. I don’t think they should be made to stay off it but it would just be in their best interest. Thanks for being a positive influence out there. 

You gotta be an ultra dbag to whine about college kids playing poorly on Twitter. 

on the other side of that... there's ZERO chance my dad would have ever allowed me to have social media as a top prospect. 

They gain absolutely nothing by having it.  

39 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You gotta be an ultra dbag to whine about college kids playing poorly on Twitter. 

on the other side of that... there's ZERO chance my dad would have ever allowed me to have social media as a top prospect. 

Nope...in fact how many pros are having to go back and apologize for stuff from their teen years that they said or posted out of ignorance or just being dumb. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Except the players will need social media in order to make $ off their likeness. My 2 cent advice to the kids (and their families) who will be heading to big time schools/fans,etc.....time to toughen up buttercups.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Except the players will need social media in order to make $ off their likeness. My 2 cent advice to the kids (and their families) who will be heading to big time schools/fans,etc.....time to toughen up buttercups.

Its not soft not to have it. You can make plenty of money without a social media presence. 

IU is not like any fan base.  We are offers of magnitude better.   The passion and support from IU fans is unparalleled.  

I’m not on Facebook.  I don’t read what fans say on Twitter.  It’s not just IU or basketball.  There’s idiocy on there in all walks of life.  Bring up finance or Tesla or Kim Jung On or guns or the invasion of Venezuela  or virology.   There are trolls and fake accounts.  It’s a bizarre culture, so I stay out of it.  I honestly don’t see the point.  The only thing I do is follow media people who link me to articles.  There’s value to that.  But, no I don’t follow fans.  

I am surprised Collin let them get under his skin.   All players should be way above all that.  

Obviously I spend my time here but we’ve got a great group and it’s much more in depth with analysis and we have a ton of smart guys from coaches to players to long time fans who know their stuff.  I would say 99% of it is not personal here and if anyone goes off the rails, we self regulate and have the best mods in the business.  

On here, Collin was beloved.  

If you fall prey to the lowest common denominator you get a distorted view of fans.  I’ve been an IU fan for 45 years.  I spent 7 years at IU.  I have traveled with the fan base numerous times  The fan base is phenomenal and overwhelmingly supportive.  Just look at Crean’s first two years when the team still had support despite having no shot whatsoever.  I would submit to you that no other school in America—including Kentucky—would have supported that team.  

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Its not soft not to have it. You can make plenty of money without a social media presence. 

Agree all day....just saying like with many things. Can't have it both ways. Kids want to use a fan base to build up followers and make money off those followers....but criticize the minority who comes out of the woods during bad games. 

Not that I have to say...this isn't directed at you...just a general comment as we head into the likeness/image/money making world. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It is a sad state that players would be the ones to have to make a change. Why shouldn't the fans be the one who changes and realize that sports is not as important bad they make it.  Why shouldn't the fans grow up and not live their lives through kids playing sports.

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day....just saying like with many things. Can't have it both ways. Kids want to use a fan base to build up followers and make money off those followers....but criticize the minority who comes out of the woods during bad games. 

Not that I have to say...this isn't directed at you...just a general comment as we head into the likeness/image/money making world. 

Personally, I'd keep a private account limited to friends and family where people can respond to you...probably on Facebook.  I'm not sure Twitter is really made for privacy.  You can have a private Twitter account, but it kind of defeats what Twitter is all about, so I'd skip Twitter.  Cameo is a money maker and it appears not to be a platform where trolls can abuse you.  I'd definitely pick and choose carefully and with what I've seen from Twitter, I'd skip that altogether as a player...just too much negativity and distraction.

Archived