Nike allegedly offered $20k illicit payment to Romeo

madmax

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am saying that certain industries have requirements to gain employment in that field.  It might be having certain certificate or a degree so why is it bad for the NBA to have a requirement to meet before they gain employment.  I work in the trucking industry and their are certain requirements for our drivers to meet be before they can drive a Semi.  Also you can't drive a semi under the age of 18 and can't join the military under the age of 18.

Also it is not really an age requirement for the NBA because a kid can be 18 and be in the draft.  All it says is that a kid has to be one year removed for high school until he can enter the draft.

The whole point behind the quote was the issue of AGE discrimination (not other misc. requirements because the NBA doesn't have any said requirements in their eligibility rules that would disqualify your typical OAD). And based on what you said, as long as their certifications have been met, an 18 year old CAN drive a truck (I asked for an example of an industry that doesn't permit employees who are at least 18 years of age).  And to humor you, despite the strict requirements, the youngest American doctor was 17 and the youngest American lawyer was 16. The point is that they are savants in their particular field. Just like Zion Williamson for example. 

*And per the rulebook, No player may sign with the NBA until they are 19 years or older.[1] Players who have played at least one year of college basketball are eligible for the NBA draft

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

The whole point behind the quote was the issue of AGE discrimination (not other misc. requirements because the NBA doesn't have any said requirements in their eligibility rules that would disqualify your typical OAD). And based on what you said, as long as their certifications have been met, an 18 year old CAN drive a truck (I asked for an example of an industry that doesn't permit employees who are at least 18 years of age).  And to humor you, despite the strict requirements, the youngest American doctor was 17 and the youngest American lawyer was 16. The point is that they are savants in their particular field. Just like Zion Williamson for example. 

*And per the rulebook, No player may sign with the NBA until they are 19 years or older.[1] Players who have played at least one year of college basketball are eligible for the NBA draft

I was pretty sure all it required was be out of high school for a year and not a certain age as well.  I have talked to someone I graduated with and she said she just turned 48 two days ago and I will turn 49 in two weeks. So she was just 17 when she graduated and I was 18.  Saying this a kid can graduate at 17 and not turn 18 until maybe August so next June when they draft happens that kid will still be 18.  Unless something has changed or I misread something I think that kid at 18 can enter the draft.  Look at this eligibility rule and it states being 19 during the calendar year of the draft and not 19 before the draft. so yes you could be 18 and be drafted.

Eligibility:

• Player must be 19 years old during draft calender year, and at least one season has passed...
  • Player must declare his eligibility 60 days before draft.
  • Players are automatically eligible if United States player completes college eligibility...
  • An American player who signs a contract and plays for an international team is automatically...

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I was pretty sure all it required was be out of high school for a year and not a certain age as well.  I have talked to someone I graduated with and she said she just turned 48 two days ago and I will turn 49 in two weeks. So she was just 17 when she graduated and I was 18.  Saying this a kid can graduate at 17 and not turn 18 until maybe August so next June when they draft happens that kid will still be 18.  Unless something has changed or I misread something I think that kid at 18 can enter the draft.

https://www.draftsite.com/nba/rules/

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes it says be 19 in the draft calendar year.  Next year will be the 2020 draft so that person has to turn 19 sometime in 2020 and not by the draft.  The player could turn 19 in November so when the draft happens in June they will be 18.

Jesus Scott.

NBA requires player to be 19. If it was 18 they'd state it was 18. There's a loophole in the rule for kids who graduate high school at a younger age. Hence, the clarification you need to be one year removed from high school graduation. By far, a vast majority of the OAD's who'd potentially declare need to be 19 because they are born before June. Either you are not understanding this correctly or the writers in the following publication don't understand it with their headlines:

USA Today: NBA Officially Proposes Lowering Draft Age from 19 to 18
Sports Illustrated: NBA formally proposes changing draft age to 18 to players' union

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Jesus Scott.

NBA requires player to be 19. If it was 18 they'd state it was 18. There's a loophole in the rule for kids who graduate high school at a younger age. Hence, the clarification you need to be one year removed from high school graduation. By far, a vast majority of the OAD's who'd potentially declare need to be 19 because they are born before June. Either you are not understanding this correctly or the writers in the following publication don't understand it with their headlines:

USA Today: NBA Officially Proposes Lowering Draft Age from 19 to 18
Sports Illustrated: NBA formally proposes changing draft age to 18 to players' union

You are the one not understanding the rule. it states that you need to be out of high school one year and be 19 in the calendar year of the draft.  It does not state that you have to be 19 to declare for the draft or be 19 before the draft.  If you turn 19 in November then you will be playing at least one month of your season as a 18 year old.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You are the one not understanding the rule. it states that you need to be out of high school one year and be 19 in the calendar year of the draft.  It does not state that you have to be 19 to declare for the draft or be 19 before the draft.  If you turn 19 in November then you will be playing at least one month of your season as a 18 year old.

This isn't hard. It's either 19 years of age or one year removed from high school.

25 minutes ago, rico said:

We covered this topic repeatedly...the NBA needs to change their rules and the NCAA needs to enforce theirs.  

I agree I don't mind if they let the kids go straight out of high school.  I also don't understand why anyone would have a problem if the NBA has some sort of requirements to be able to work in the NBA either.

7 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

This isn't hard. It's either 19 years of age or one year removed from high school.

I have a question, what if a player is a freshman this year but graduated early and is only 17.  Say that kid won't turn 18 until March of 2020, will that kid be able to enter the draft since he won't turn 19 until 2021?  He would be one year removed from high school but not 19 in the calendar year of the draft.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You know, I made my first ever decision to block someone on HSN because of tangents just like this, and I swear it raised my IQ by at least 5 points.

What tangent it is just a discussion about the rules.  seem like someone should get some thicker skin.

What tangent it is just a discussion about the rules.  seem like someone should get some thicker skin.

Sometimes i just wonder if you are a Purdue troll who likes to come on here to derail threads and run arguments in circles. If you are, I applaud you good sir. 

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Sometimes i just wonder if you are a Purdue troll who likes to come on here to derail threads and run arguments in circles. If you are, I applaud you good sir. 

Not even close can't stand Purdue and probably been an IU fan longer than you have been alive.  You stated that the NBA is discriminating because they don't allow 18 year olds in the NBA and I showed you that you were wrong.  I showed that you can be 18 and still play in the league so why are you getting so upset.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have a question, what if a player is a freshman this year but graduated early and is only 17.  Say that kid won't turn 18 until March of 2020, will that kid be able to enter the draft since he won't turn 19 until 2021?  He would be one year removed from high school but not 19 in the calendar year of the draft.

Easy way to do it. Take the draft year and subtract it by 19. So for the 2020 draft anybody born in 2001 or before is automatically eligible for the NBA draft. There is one caveat, if you graduate high school early, say at the age of 17, and complete one year of college you are eligible for the NBA draft. Hence the term "one and done". That's why you see so many kids reclassifying so that they are draft eligible a year early. 

11 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Easy way to do it. Take the draft year and subtract it by 19. So for the 2020 draft anybody born in 2001 or before is automatically eligible for the NBA draft. There is one caveat, if you graduate high school early, say at the age of 17, and complete one year of college you are eligible for the NBA draft. Hence the term "one and done". That's why you see so many kids reclassifying so that they are draft eligible a year early. 

Thanks, that is why I asked about the 17 year old freshman and whether he would be eligible.  So if he is out of high school a year then the age doesn't matter.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Thanks, that is why I asked about the 17 year old freshman and whether he would be eligible.  So if he is out of high school a year then the age doesn't matter.

Correct. Either turn 19 in the calendar year of the draft OR be one year removed from high school. 

Someone like Jalen Lecque who just went undrafted went to a regular high school for 4 years, reclassified from the 2018 class to the 2019 class because he didn't have the grades and ended up going to a prep school. He was born in 2000 and that made him draft eligible for the 2019 draft.

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

Correct. Either turn 19 in the calendar year of the draft OR be one year removed from high school. 

Someone like Jalen Lecque who just went undrafted went to a regular high school for 4 years, reclassified from the 2018-2019 class because he didn't have the grades and ended up going to a prep school. He was born in 2000 and that made him draft eligible for the 2019 draft.

Thanks

Not even close can't stand Purdue and probably been an IU fan longer than you have been alive.  You stated that the NBA is discriminating because they don't allow 18 year olds in the NBA and I showed you that you were wrong.  I showed that you can be 18 and still play in the league so why are you getting so upset.

Last post on this. Yes - you can be 18 if you graduate a year early or have a late birthday for your age. In this case you need to be a year removed from high school graduation in order to be deemed eligible. 

The sentence above represents kids who are in the minority because a) it's rare to finish high school in 3 years and b) because the kindergarten birthdate cut off for most states is around September the 'loophole' would only affect those born in late June, July and possibly August. 

So yes,  an 18 year-old go into the draft, but a majority of the kids who'd declare are 19 because they turned 18 before the prior year's draft. Those 19 year-olds (a typical 4 year high school who have birthdays from September to June - roughly 75% of them), per the hypothetical scenario the article brought up, could consider an age discrimination suit.  

58 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Cut Scott a little slack.  I'm convinced if it were not for him stimulating discussions, this forum would be pretty dead in August.😜

Archived