The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

4 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Minny and Purdue with 8 losses. I bet one doesn’t make NCAA....

I haven’t watched any Minnesota games this year. But I’m not impressed with PU this year except the win against MSU. I’m not saying this because I’m an IU fan, their offense has no flow most of the time but I consider Painter to a very good coach so we will see. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Hoosier83 said:

I haven’t watched any Minnesota games this year. But I’m not impressed with PU this year except the win against MSU. I’m not saying this because I’m an IU fan, their offense has no flow most of the time but I consider Painter to a very good coach so we will see. 

This isn't meant as a slight at all to our resident Boiler.....but Edwards (and Cline) covered up plenty of poor offensive schemes or strategies last year with bailout 3's. You can't lose that firepower and expect to not take a few steps back. I think Painter is a good coach but sometimes I feel like he gets more credit than he deserves. Until this recent run he went 4 straight years without a tourney win including missing the tourney entirely in years 8 and 9 on the job.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This isn't meant as a slight at all to our resident Boiler.....but Edwards (and Cline) covered up plenty of poor offensive schemes or strategies last year with bailout 3's. You can't lose that firepower and expect to not take a few steps back. I think Painter is a good coach but sometimes I feel like he gets more credit than he deserves. Until this recent run he went 4 straight years without a tourney win including missing the tourney entirely in years 8 and 9 on the job.

Edwards was a very special player. He made everyone around him so much better.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I agree with that. I always thought he gets the most out of his players. I don’t remember a 5 star recruit committing to PU since the Hummel, Moore, and the big guy who’s name is escaping me at the moment. And I’m not 100% sure any of those were 5 star guys. I think he runs a good, clean program and keeps PU relevant more years then not. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosier83 said:

I am a B1G junkie.  Have seen a ton of BIG games this season.  And I am here to say that ANY B1G team is capable of beating any other B1G team on any given day.  I have never seen anything like it.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am a B1G junkie.  Have seen a ton of BIG games this season.  And I am here to say that ANY B1G team is capable of beating any other B1G team on any given day.  I have never seen anything like it.

That is true. But from what I’ve seen PU isn’t a tournament team right now. But that could change in a couple weeks 

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Both could  end up with losing records. Minny has played the Kenpom #2 schedule. If Pitino is playing for his job, he didn't get any favors.

Is his seat that hot? I really don’t know.

Good chance Oturu goes pro after this year but Minny has some nice young guards.

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Is his seat that hot? I really don’t know.

Good chance Oturu goes pro after this year but Minny has some nice young guards.

This was from an article last year. It was then assumed he was safe after they made the NCAAT last year.

Richard Pitino heard the rumors, he saw the headlines and although he might have been tempted to ask, the Gophers men’s basketball coach said he never did approach athletic director Mark Coyle to inquire on whether his job might be in jeopardy.

“I’ve got little kids, I like it here,” Pitino said Tuesday. “Humanize it as much as you want, but I want to be here. You read things and you hear things. It’s not a knock on the media. I understand you have to do your job and so when you see your picture up there as on the hot seat, and if he doesn’t make the tournament he’s fired, I don’t know if it’s true or not. I didn’t want to ask Mark.”

1 minute ago, Hoosier83 said:

That is true. But from what I’ve seen PU isn’t a tournament team right now. But that could change in a couple weeks 

Be careful of saying/thinking that.  The Boilers played a tough non-con schedule.  Texas, at Marquette, VCU(N), Florida St.(N), Virginia, and Butler(N). They are seasoned.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Be careful of saying/thinking that.  The Boilers played a tough non-con schedule.  Texas, at Marquette, VCU(N), Florida St.(N), Virginia, and Butler(N). They are seasoned.

Thanks for the warning. I’ll keep that in mind next time I make a comment off what I see. 

Just now, Hoosier83 said:

Thanks for the warning. I’ll keep that in mind next time I make a comment off what I see. 

Purdue hasn't really looked any different that we have in conference play than we have except for one difference...they haven't won on the road.  

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably....but Minny is a college in a pro town. Different deal there. Now with success of football program some are asking why they can't have that success in hoops. 

Does Minnesota consider making the outback bowl the equivalent of making the final four? I would think making the tournament more years then not in Minny would keep you off the hot seat 

48 minutes ago, Hoosier83 said:

Not wanting to be confrontational here. And not saying that Purdue is a tournament team or not.  Just as IU at this point is questionable. But at this point IU is better positioned than PU... with the teeth of the conference schedule, yet to come for IU.  Second hardest conference schedule, presently, in all the land.   All I am saying. IS. Based on what I have seen so far this year.  ANY BIG team is capable of knocking off any other BIG team this season.  Unprecendented (Sp) in my over 60 years of following Big Ten BB.

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not wanting to be confrontational here. And not saying that Purdue is a tournament team or not.  Just as IU at this point is questionable. But at this point IU is better positioned than PU... with the teeth of the conference schedule, yet to come for IU.  Second hardest conference schedule, presently, in all the land.   All I am saying. IS. Based on what I have seen so far this year.  ANY BIG team is capable on knocking off any other BIG team this season.  Unprecendented (Sp) in my over 60 years of following Big Ten BB.

Call it whatever but I've basically broken the rest of the regular season into 3 segments.

Next 4 (Home w/Sparty and Maryland and at Ohio St at Penn St)....have to go 2-2.

Next 5 (H w/Purdue, Iowa, Penn St and Away at Michigan at MInny)...have to 3-2

Last 4 (H w/Minny, Sconny at Purdue at Illinois)...have to go 2-2

Would put us 11-9 and 21 wins overall. We do that and I think we are firmly on the 6 line considering 6-7 more quality wins to resume. These next 4 are the key though. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Call it whatever but I've basically broken the rest of the regular season into 3 segments.

Next 4 (Home w/Sparty and Maryland and at Ohio St at Penn St)....have to go 2-2.

Next 5 (H w/Purdue, Iowa, Penn St and Away at Michigan at MInny)...have to 3-2

Last 4 (H w/Minny, Sconny at Purdue at Illinois)...have to go 2-2

Would put us 11-9 and 21 wins overall. We do that and I think we are firmly on the 6 line considering 6-7 more quality wins to resume. These next 4 are the key though. 

I think this is pretty accurate breaking even or finishing a game above .500 with the remaining schedule should get us in the tournament 

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Stole this from Delphi Bracketology on Twitter. Good follow by the way. Breaks down our Nonconference SOS compared to others in Big 10. Pretty glaring numbers for the our nonconference schedule was so weak crowd. 

Indiana Non conf SOS per NCAA team sheet is ranked 43. For comparison other BIG 10 teams Minn . 52 Illinois 241 Penn St 315 Michigan 127 Iowa 170 other notables Baylor 180 Butler 141 Kentucky 186

That's pretty shocking...and I love seeing it.  Would love to hear some analysis for those who grumbled incessantly about IU's cupcake schedule.

...and LA Tech is not a cupcake.  That is all.😜

Archived