Watching Basketball on HULU versus Youtube TV

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a HuluLive TV man.  Went the Roku/HuluLiveTV way when Comcast dropped the Big Ten Channel. And never looked back. Went with the unlimited Hulu  devices option for $10.00 extra per month. Wife and son watch tv and movies on their I-phones when away from home and say waiting in doctor's office.... etc.  Madmax nailed. it. With streaming services, there is no contract. And many of them have free trial periods. So you can try one without paying.  Like it. Stay with it.  Don't care for the content. Move on to the next.

One more thing.  All HuluLiveTV channels are HD.  And honestly the picture is a higher quality than Comcast HD channels.

Editing to add : Do recommend getting the highest power internet service.  I got it from my provider years ago. And they locked in a discounted price for life for me. 

3 hours ago, TN_Hoosier said:

I am looking to get rid of Spectrum cable tv but before I do I was wondering if anyone here has watched IU basketball and football games via these streaming sites on BTN and ESPN channels.  If you have, I would appreciate reading about your experience.  Thanks in advance...

For football, Hulu offers the alternate channels.  Which was great for me.  As I was able to watch several IUFB games, that were not being shown on Comcast here in Colorado.Because Comcast does not offer the alternate Big Ten Channel.

As far as BB goes.Not only do I have all the ESPN channels, to include ESPN News. But I have like 8 channels of what they call  ESPN extra.  Not on all the time. But they do cover schools like Valpo, and other Mid West games, and schools, that you never get anywhere else.

And of course, CBSSports, NBCSports, and Conferences such as the SEC.  As well as Fox Sports one, and two.

In addition to the News Channels, including CBS 24/7.  Denver has five local tv stations. I get all but one.

YouTube TV we recently jumped on board after PlayStation Vue announced it was shuttering it’s service. 

Honestly, the front end is great, it’s been very reliable. The sheer amount of content and options for the money is quite good. We have as supported, regular Hulu and enjoy it (Black Friday 1.99/month for a year deal).

Here’s a link to a Clark Howard breakdown:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clark.com/technology/tvsatellite-cable/youtube-tv-hulu-live-comparison/amp/

I've had both and prefer YTtv,  just seemed more stable with my internet connection.  I use my subscription almost exclusively for sports so I rarely watch the other channels.

Funny thing I've observed recently regarding BTN network games: I sync the video to streaming IU radio broadcasts (via tunein radio).  The television broadcasts on  roku can be viewed with either the Youtube TV app or one of the fox sports apps.  When the tv is ahead of the audio stream, the fox app (where BTN games are) does not allow fast forward, rewind or pausing of the live broadcast but thankfully the YT tv app does.

BTW for anyone else doing this, the IU radio channel on tunein is waaay delayed (like 2 minutes!), the broadcast streams from WHCC and WXVW have much shorter delays and are generally ahead of the TV stream (I'd rather pause the tunein player than the tv app).

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

The one thing I'll add is that while YouTube has more channels there is no History Channel if that matters to you.  But Hulu doesn't have AMC while YouTube does and Better Call Saul is coming back soon.

Those exact channel examples is the only reason I am still with cable because those two channels are among the very few we watch 

7 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Those exact channel examples is the only reason I am still with cable because those two channels are among the very few we watch 

Yeah once basketball is over I'll switch back to Philo.  It's only $20 month and has both of those channels.  You might laugh at me but I gotta have my Swamp People and Mountain Men.

29 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah once basketball is over I'll switch back to Philo.  It's only $20 month and has both of those channels.  You might laugh at me but I gotta have my Swamp People and Mountain Men.

Never heard of Philo I will check that out thanks 

On 12/24/2019 at 3:15 PM, dbmhoosier said:

YouTube is better.  Unlimited DVR. You can fast forward through commercials too.

Agree. And watching live DVR’d basketball is great on YouTube.tv because you can see a preview window as you fast forward so you know exactly when to stop. 

I recently switched from PS Vue because that service is discontinuing. Honestly, won’t consider Hulu until you can fast forward through commercials on DVR’d shows.  Another feature I like is that you can customize your guide and put the channels in your preferred order. On the flip side I have periodic problems with the audio getting out of sync.  

22 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Agree. And watching live DVR’d basketball is great on YouTube.tv because you can see a preview window as you fast forward so you know exactly when to stop. 

I recently switched from PS Vue because that service is discontinuing. Honestly, won’t consider Hulu until you can fast forward through commercials on DVR’d shows.  Another feature I like is that you can customize your guide and put the channels in your preferred order. On the flip side I have periodic problems with the audio getting out of sync.  

Hulu Live TV has an ad free option :

Hulu (No Ads) Plan

I'm not into DVRing.  However Hulu Live TV comes with that availability:

Cloud DVR: Record Live TV

On 12/24/2019 at 2:30 PM, milehiiu said:

I'm a HuluLive TV man.  Went the Roku/HuluLiveTV way when Comcast dropped the Big Ten Channel. And never looked back. Went with the unlimited Hulu  devices option for $10.00 extra per month. Wife and son watch tv and movies on their I-phones when away from home and say waiting in doctor's office.... etc.  Madmax nailed. it. With streaming services, there is no contract. And many of them have free trial periods. So you can try one without paying.  Like it. Stay with it.  Don't care for the content. Move on to the next.

One more thing.  All HuluLiveTV channels are HD.  And honestly the picture is a higher quality than Comcast HD channels.

Editing to add : Do recommend getting the highest power internet service.  I got it from my provider years ago. And they locked in a discounted price for life for me. 

Just asking as I am considering cutting the cord, but does Hulu live offer local channels? Or do you need an antenna to get OTA?

46 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hulu Live TV has an ad free option :

Hulu (No Ads) Plan

I'm not into DVRing.  However Hulu Live TV comes with that availability:

Cloud DVR: Record Live TV

That No Ads plan is for their non-live TV (think Netflix) plan.

The DVR that comes with Hulu Live TV doesn't allow for fast forwarding through commercials is what he was referring to and what got me to switch. 

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

That No Ads plan is for their non-live TV (think Netflix) plan.

The DVR that comes with Hulu Live TV doesn't allow for fast forwarding through commercials is what he was referring to and what got me to switch. 

Yeah they make you pay extra to be able to fast forward.  I think its $10 month for that feature.  I mean wtf?  Plus they just jacked up the price to $55.

Archived