Watching Basketball on HULU versus Youtube TV

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We dumped Dish in August and went to YouTube tv, so we could get our regional Braves channels as dish dumped them. I only did it though since it also had the big 10 network. I’ve watched baseball, soccer, football, and basketball an no issues. We did upgrade to google fiber to help with some buffering issues. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

We dumped Dish in August and went to YouTube tv, so we could get our regional Braves channels as dish dumped them. I only did it though since it also had the big 10 network. I’ve watched baseball, soccer, football, and basketball an no issues. We did upgrade to google fiber to help with some buffering issues. 

Very true that one needs a strong internet.  At least that is what I have read.  Like someone said earlier, I don't consider the cost of my internet service as part of streaming costs.  I had internet long before I started streaming. And.... as I have mentioned.  My internet provider locked me in with a low price for life. So I consider myself fortunate in that respect.

One very good You Tube Channel is Cord Cutters News.  He posts up to the minute news on cutting the cord. And I have learned a ton from him.

Cord Cutters News - YouTube

2 hours ago, ephul said:

I have all local channels through YouTube TV. I am saving about $40 a month easy with streaming

I'm sure some can save with streaming if you're in an area with little competition.  Dish and Directv are way overpriced.  And most people are stuck with only one cable provider.

So what is your internet cost?  I'm guessing you dont have a lot of TV service options.  Here At&t is almost the same price if I bundle TV and internet vs streaming and AT&T internet.  The only reason I don't bundle is because I'm not in a contract with either.

The thing that pisses me off is the streaming services keep raising their prices.  Hulu just did by $10 a month.  I used Playstation Vue(they are going away in January) and they did the same thing.  Just seems like its only a matter of time until the streaming services end up costing what cable and satellite was costing us.

On quality my Hulu does tend to lag at times and occasionally freeze up.  A buddy of mine said he has the same issues and his internet is way faster than mine.  And mine is fast.  At any rate I'm switching to YouTube at the end of this billing cycle.

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If I'm looking initially at YouTube and Philo, what's everybody recommend for equipment? I've got  a bunch of TVs to set up...

We use 4k Firesticks at my house. Got them for cheap the last two black fridays. I have also Google Chromecast and it is much better than them, but in reviews I tend to see that Roku (which I haven't tried) comes out on top.

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-media-streamers-of-2020-roku-fire-tv-apple-tv-and-more/

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/313411/the-best-media-streaming-devices

It also can vary depending on if your phones are Apple or Android as well.

Like Rico and Indy1987, I've found that getting internet bundled with their streaming service was better than adding Hulu or YouTube. 

I cut the cord in May. Bought a Roku TV (on advice from Milehi). Not a fan of the roku remote. I have Comcast/xfinity which provides the streaming service (and internet) . It is the same as their cable service from what I can tell. 

I started a free trial of Hulu last week to watch movies. Have found their interface a bit confusing. 

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Like Rico and Indy1987, I've found that getting internet bundled with their streaming service was better than adding Hulu or YouTube. 

I cut the cord in May. Bought a Roku TV (on advice from Milehi). Not a fan of the roku remote. I have Comcast/xfinity which provides the streaming service (and internet) . It is the same as their cable service from what I can tell. 

I started a free trial of Hulu last week to watch movies. Have found their interface a bit confusing. 

Yes. I will admit that it took me some time to figure out the Hulu Live TV interface.  They actually have more than just one.  Once I figured it out.  I love it. As an example. They have an algarithym (SP?) that leads me to the shows immediately I regularly watch at different times of the day.  So I don't have to search for them.

Bottom line.  It's different than the cable interface.  And takes time to get used to, and learn about.

Roku does have a voice control remote.  Might want to try that.

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

All the streaming services I know of, have no contract. You can cancel at any time. Many have free trial periods.

But the beauty of it is, you can cancel for a week or so, and then just reactivate and save a weeks worth of $. Another perk for those that travel or are away from the TV for an extended period of time

5 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

I'm sure some can save with streaming if you're in an area with little competition.  Dish and Directv are way overpriced.  And most people are stuck with only one cable provider.

So what is your internet cost?  I'm guessing you dont have a lot of TV service options.  Here At&t is almost the same price if I bundle TV and internet vs streaming and AT&T internet.  The only reason I don't bundle is because I'm not in a contract with either.

The thing that pisses me off is the streaming services keep raising their prices.  Hulu just did by $10 a month.  I used Playstation Vue(they are going away in January) and they did the same thing.  Just seems like its only a matter of time until the streaming services end up costing what cable and satellite was costing us.

On quality my Hulu does tend to lag at times and occasionally freeze up.  A buddy of mine said he has the same issues and his internet is way faster than mine.  And mine is fast.  At any rate I'm switching to YouTube at the end of this billing cycle.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Internet is $70. Definitely lacking competition in my area.

30 minutes ago, ephul said:

But the beauty of it is, you can cancel for a week or so, and then just reactivate and save a weeks worth of $. Another perk for those that travel or are away from the TV for an extended period of time

Or... you take your Roku with you, and plug it in where you are staying.  Haven't done that. But that's what I have been told. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. I will admit that it took me some time to figure out the Hulu Live TV interface.  They actually have more than just one.  Once I figured it out.  I love it. As an example. They have an algarithym (SP?) that leads me to the shows immediately I regularly watch at different times of the day.  So I don't have to search for them.

Bottom line.  It's different than the cable interface.  And takes time to get used to, and learn about.

Roku does have a voice control remote.  Might want to try that.

I looked into geting the roku voice remote but since I mainly use the Xfinity streaming service it is worthless. It only would take me to that app, not channels inside it. Xfinity had a voice remote with its cable that was awesome.

Archived