2019 College Bowl Season

rico

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 4 bowl games on New Years day this season.  This isn't the bowl season of my youth.  

Also, I have not paid a bit of attention to the bowls until this thread, and was shocked to research and see that there had already been 12 bowl games played.  

To me, the real bowl season starts today when the first of the Big Ten teams play.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Only 4 bowl games on New Years day this season.  This isn't the bowl season of my youth.  

Also, I have not paid a bit of attention to the bowls until this thread, and was shocked to research and see that there had already been 12 bowl games played.  

To me, the real bowl season starts today when the first of the Big Ten teams play.

If OSU loses tomorrow, we'll play the B1G's last game of the year.

It does still seem weird how they organize games now.  It seems like the game used to keep getting better and better as the year went on, but now there are good and bad games scattered all over.

There are only 4 games after our bowl game.  3 crappy ones and the Championship.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

LOL.  I was curious one day and went back and looked at the 1979 football season.  That year there were only 16 bowl games.  

Just now, Leathernecks said:

Who is everybody planning on rooting for in B1G bowls?  I can't really bring myself to pull for a lot of B1G teams.

I'm all Big Ten.  I would even root for Purdue if they had even been on a bowl game, though I must admit I'm glad I don't have to worry about that.  

I will certainly be watching and interested to see how the B1G teams fair against the SEC.  I think Ohio State has a championship team and I expect them to win it all.  I would really like to see Minnesota take down Auburn; at least give them a better game than Purdue's dismal showing in the Music City Bowl.  Given the arrogance and total disrespect of the Michigan fans who visited this board before the IU game, I find it difficult to get behind their fan base . . . even if it means an end to the Alabama reign.  Having IU in a Florida bowl game certainly amps up my interest in bowl games in general this season and hopefully there are similar IU seasons to come!

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'm all Big Ten.  I would even root for Purdue if they had even been on a bowl game, though I must admit I'm glad I don't have to worry about that.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

I am in the 'fouls camp on this.  Go B1G!

You're better B1G fans than I am!

After all their transgressions over the years, I can never bring myself to root for PSU or MSU in anything.  I even struggle to root for Michigan and Minnesota because they have a giant douche and a turd sandwich coaching them.

this tennessee fan was raised in the twin cities and spent a few years in cedar rapids.

he says . . .

go hawkeyes!

go memphis high!

go clemson!

go golden bears!

go big blue!!!!!

go, go gophers!!!!!  for that matter, if a steaming pile of camel dung is playing auburn, go steaming pile of camel dung!!!!!

go ducks!

and, of course, go big orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

You're better B1G fans than I am!

After all their transgressions over the years, I can never bring myself to root for PSU or MSU in anything.  I even struggle to root for Michigan and Minnesota because they have a giant douche and a turd sandwich coaching them.

I am with you in regards to MSU and PSU. I can't root for them at all. 

6 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I can't believe how upset Miami fans already are with Diaz.  I checked out a couple of their message boards, and they already want him out after one year.  The AD came out after the game yesterday and gave him the dreaded vote of confidence.

Been a Canes fan since 1983 when I took my first trip to Orange Bowl. I can say Miami in many ways is very similar to IU. So much tradition, pride,etc.....and a bumbling administration has made bad hire after bad hire. Started with Coker after getting the keys to a Corvette after Butch...went to Shannon, Golden.

25 months ago we thought we had things turned around when we depantsed a top 3 Notre Dame team but Richt wouldn't change up quarterbacks and it cost him his job. Manny is a native and is unbelievably popular....but the institution and pride of Canes fans is rivaled by only a couple of programs and people are just tired of it. Tired of the excuses. Tired of seeing other schools outperform with less than similar circumstances in terms of talent, facilities,etc....

Many wanted Mario Cristobal years ago and Blake James the AD for Miami wouldn't look at him. Carol Stoffer was on record as saying she would personally pay for the $10M buyout for Mario last week (she's similar to our Simon heir). Blake James again said no....I'll say this. Manny is a Canes fan first and Canes coach second. That might make him a little emotional in some of his decisions. Firing Enos today and a couple others is a good step but patience is out the window. Especially in a pro town. 

6 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Who is everybody planning on rooting for in B1G bowls?  I can't really bring myself to pull for a lot of B1G teams.

Same. Still goes back to how other fans loved our misery post Sampson. Won't be cheering for any of them honestly. Maybe Iowa...but that's only bowl pool contest related. Haha

21 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

The attendance at the Pinstripe Bowl is horrible.  I would be willing to bet there is a much bigger crowd at Yankees batting practice than there is at that game.

Reported attendance was 36K. Capacity of Yankee Stadium for football is 54K.

In looking at the photo above.....36,000 my large white buttocks.

Just visually compare that to 2015:

image.jpg

Listed attendence for 2015 was 38K, and from that photo, that looks reasonable. The lower bowl at least looks full. Not packed to the rafters, but decent.

Just a guess, but I'd say that both Duke and Indiana have above average alumni bases in the northeast, given their locations. And, in a way, that matchup was interesting if only stemming from each schools basketball program; I referred to that bowl as the "Hey, we both play football too" Bowl more than once.

Aside from the hardcore fans of each school, does anything about Michigan State vs Wake Forest drive any interest?

Archived