2019 College Bowl Season

rico

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, rico said:

How about the Navy Midshipmen?  

Pretty much what I expected. 300+ on the ground and stout defense (KSU had punt return). 

Very interested in today. For some reason I think if Saban has a chance to pour it on them and don't let up (what JJ said before Gerry Faust last game) I think you might see Bama run this one up. Will also be interested to see if Oregon can salvage any bit of respect for Pac 12. After a very good Utah team got destroyed a middle of the road Big 12 program last night it will be up to Oregon to save future Pac 12 teams to even getting a shot in Final 4. 

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

How many suspensions vs injuries vs greedy prepping for draft?

Combination of injuries, nfl draft prep.....and the most important reason of all that was listed? Unknown. There's been people jumping on Baylor line because of it but I'd caution folks. Kirby has recruited as well as anyone. The backups aren't some major drop off. Georgia should still win handily in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Pretty much what I expected. 300+ on the ground and stout defense (KSU had punt return). 

Very interested in today. For some reason I think if Saban has a chance to pour it on them and don't let up (what JJ said before Gerry Faust last game) I think you might see Bama run this one up. Will also be interested to see if Oregon can salvage any bit of respect for Pac 12. After a very good Utah team got destroyed a middle of the road Big 12 program last night it will be up to Oregon to save future Pac 12 teams to even getting a shot in Final 4. 

I guess it depends the mind set of the players for Alabama because they are so use to being in the playoffs so this bowl might not excite them.

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess it depends the mid set of the players for Alabama because they are so use to being in the playoffs so this bowl might not excite them.

Yeah, it has to be a tremendous let down for the team...I hope Michigan steam rolls them.

Only reason I was watching because of bowl pool impact. Did anyone else see what the Nevada coach did towards end of game last night vs Ohio? Long story short he made 2-3 calls that were just unexplainable. Was down 30-21 and his team drove the field to the 6.  Instead of running normal plays (previous 60 yards) he got cute and ran Philly special causing fumble and Ohio picked it up. Next time down the field with 2 to go or so still down 9....he went for it on 4th down instead of kicking FG (25 yarder or so) while needing two scores.

I know coaching is tough but some of the absolute brain gaffes I see week in and out on the sidelines at all levels makes me just shake my head. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Only reason I was watching because of bowl pool impact. Did anyone else see what the Nevada coach did towards end of game last night vs Ohio? Long story short he made 2-3 calls that were just unexplainable. Was down 30-21 and his team drove the field to the 6.  Instead of running normal plays (previous 60 yards) he got cute and ran Philly special causing fumble and Ohio picked it up. Next time down the field with 2 to go or so still down 9....he went for it on 4th down instead of kicking FG (25 yarder or so) while needing two scores.

I know coaching is tough but some of the absolute brain gaffes I see week in and out on the sidelines at all levels makes me just shake my head. 

Honestly think we give coaches way too much credit.  What they should get credit for is the crazy hours they are willing to put in to climb the ladder.  Most of these guys are just fanatics like us.  Some were smart enough and determined enough and lucky enough to get connected to the right train.  

One of my best friends was a quarterbacks coach in an extremely successful high school program.  The head coach kept climbing ladders and would call him and ask him to come.  He declined and is now a school superintendent.  It's definitely not for everyone.   Sure I'd take the money but many sacrifice any other type of life.  See elston moving on.  I've had 2 friends from hometown be IU basketball managers one for Bobby and another through multiple coaches.   They both said they avg about 90 hours, rebounding, one good enough to scrimmage, and doing lots of laundry etc.  But if they wanted, the opportunity to continue and try and stick to an up and coming assistant was there.  

29 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Honestly think we give coaches way too much credit.  What they should get credit for is the crazy hours they are willing to put in to climb the ladder.  Most of these guys are just fanatics like us.  Some were smart enough and determined enough and lucky enough to get connected to the right train.  

One of my best friends was a quarterbacks coach in an extremely successful high school program.  The head coach kept climbing ladders and would call him and ask him to come.  He declined and is now a school superintendent.  It's definitely not for everyone.   Sure I'd take the money but many sacrifice any other type of life.  See elston moving on.  I've had 2 friends from hometown be IU basketball managers one for Bobby and another through multiple coaches.   They both said they avg about 90 hours, rebounding, one good enough to scrimmage, and doing lots of laundry etc.  But if they wanted, the opportunity to continue and try and stick to an up and coming assistant was there.  

Certainly pros and cons to 90 hour work weeks in all walks of life. Plenty of Physicians/Attorneys who scoff at 90 hour work weeks. Part of the deal whether during school, boards or bar prep and early life in career. Certainly drawbacks too. Highest rates of all the bad too. Goes with the territory. I don't know the specifics on Elston but I believe he played his IU cards right to an easy gig for max comp. Or on the flip side a guy like Lawrence Frank. Student manager, NBA Coach, and now Director of Basketball Ops for Clippers. Guess you never know where the hard work will take you....but to your point. Not for everyone. 

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not really sure what the start of this post means. The thought and time that goes into a football game plan is next to insane and I only know it (from a coaches perspective) at the HS level.  

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not really sure what the start of this post means. The thought and time that goes into a football game plan is next to insane and I only know it (from a coaches perspective) at the HS level.  

Game planning is an art but we act like these guys are the only people that can do this.  It's just not true.  My opinion.   As Rico pointed out,  a coach making hundred of thousands, if not over a million dollars a year to coach football doesn't understand simple time and score situations essentially ending the game completely with just over 2 mins to go rather than get the 3 points, try the onside and hope for a miracle.  We can always say, well maybe their kicker got diarrhea at halftime, we don't know. 

Tom Crean has made over 20 million dollars coaching basketball.  You don't have to be a savant to pull off a coaching career.  I've already explained how in my post above.  I respectfully have no problem with you agreeing to disagree or sharing your point of view.  Im cool however you decide to proceed.  

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Game planning is an art but we act like these guys are the only people that can do this.  It's just not true.  My opinion.   As Rico pointed out,  a coach making hundred of thousands, if not over a million dollars a year to coach football doesn't understand simple time and score situations essentially ending the game completely with just over 2 mins to go rather than get the 3 points, try the onside and hope for a miracle.  We can always say, well maybe their kicker got diarrhea at halftime, we don't know. 

Tom Crean has made over 20 million dollars coaching basketball.  You don't have to be a savant to pull off a coaching career.  I've already explained how in my post above.  I respectfully have no problem with you agreeing to disagree or sharing your point of view.  Im cool however you decide to proceed.  

They're the most qualified individuals to do so. I dont question people who are simply smarter than I am on a subject. 

EDIT:  UPDATED 01/07/20 Conference Records through 01/06/2020

AAC - 4-3

ACC - 4-6

B1G - 4-5

Big 12 - 1-5

CUSA - 3-5

Ind - 2-1

MAC - 3-4

MWC - 4-3

Pac 12 - 4-3

SEC - 7-2

SBC - 3-2

Conference Bowl Records and Scores

One game left (edited)...SEC will finish either 7-3 or 8-2; ACC will finish either 5-6 or 4-7.  Pac-12 finished strong after an 0-3 start.  Big-10 was 2 points away from being 6-4... and a combined 8 points away from being 7-3 (which would have included an OSU win, giving them a shot a finishing 8-3).  

Archived